make it faster

Ara.T.Howard

Eric Hodel

On Mar 4, 2007, at 21:28, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> you know those threads where someone posts a bit of slow ruby code,
> then
> people rework it until it's orders of magnitude faster?
>
> what's the BEST one you can remember?

I liked the one I posted with my writeup of making png.rb faster with
RubyInline since Dominik (sp?) gained similar speedups with pure-
ruby. I think the pure-ruby speed-up ended up within an order of
magnitude of the selectively-optimized RubyInline version. Instead
of making the operations faster, Dominik changed the data structures
slightly for speed to reduce work.

Ryan Davis

On Mar 5, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2007, at 21:28, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
>> you know those threads where someone posts a bit of slow ruby
>> code, then
>> people rework it until it's orders of magnitude faster?
>>
>> what's the BEST one you can remember?
>
> I liked the one I posted with my writeup of making png.rb faster
> with RubyInline since Dominik (sp?) gained similar speedups with
> pure-ruby. I think the pure-ruby speed-up ended up within an order
> of magnitude of the selectively-optimized RubyInline version.
> Instead of making the operations faster, Dominik changed the data
> structures slightly for speed to reduce work.

I tried to apply dominik's changes and the problem was that they
broke a lot of stuff. I don't see his numbers as being entirely
valid, but his approach was.

Ara.T.Howard

Robert Dober

On 3/7/07, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov <ara.t.howard@noaa.gov> wrote:
<snip>
> lol - i just presented it in class 1 hr ago! but, as you correctly point out
> - it's the concept which is valid, if not the implimentation.

Sorry for being completely OT but it just stroke me:
Do your students know to read the ML before the exams?

Cheers
Robert
<snip>
> be kind whenever possible... it is always possible.
> - the dalai lama

-Anonymous

Go Mavs

"Nebuchadnezzar II" <Nebuchadnezzar@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Go Mavs" <Mav@ericks.com> wrote in message
>> proved my point..
>>
>> no one wanted to debate the merits of the case in question...
>>
>> rest assure that they did not even read it.
>
> Your own source proves there was absolutely no merit for the Clinton
> Impeachment.
>
> P.S.
> Everyone already knew that.
>
> --
> "Their are plenty of philanthropist you can buy from dipshit."
> --Go Mavs, 7-27-2007

Clinton raped, fondled, mollested, and misused women for his own power.

Saddam Hussein did the same. One is dead. The other belongs in prison.

Nebuchadnezzar II

> "Nebuchadnezzar II" <Nebuchadnezzar@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> "Go Mavs" <Mav@ericks.com> wrote in message
>>> proved my point..
>>>
>>> no one wanted to debate the merits of the case in question...
>>>
>>> rest assure that they did not even read it.
>>
>> Your own source proves there was absolutely no merit for the Clinton
>> Impeachment.
>>
>> P.S.
>> Everyone already knew that.
>>
>> --
>> "Their are plenty of philanthropist you can buy from dipshit."
>> --Go Mavs, 7-27-2007
>
> Clinton raped, fondled, mollested, and misused women for his own
> power.
>
> Saddam Hussein did the same. One is dead. The other belongs in prison.

Bush raped a woman and then orchestrated her suicide.

The sources for these facts are at least as credible as yours.

Have a nice day.

Click

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:13:46 GMT, "Go Mavs"
<Mav@ericks.com> wrote:

>proved my point..
>
>no one wanted to debate the merits of the case in question...
>
>rest assure that they did not even read it.

And for the Kazillionth time:

1 Clinton did not lie under oath, nor did he
solicit/suborn perjury, or abuse power. He did not lie
to the grand jury---no such charge has ever been filed

2 Clinton was not impeached for any known justifiable
reason the founders could have envisoned---he was
impeached for: a) Republican base was in near-revolt,
b) They couldn't beat clinton, and c) Because they
could. (they called for impeachment in 1992---go figure
how that could possible be related to anything)

3) The "starr Referral" was totally "Theoretical"---not
one assertion or allegation was backed up by FIRST HAND
witnesses or evidence. That would mean that it was
predicated on Hearsay, 3rd hand witnesses and
"Possible" events.

4) the "Starr Referral" which formed the basis of the
HJC reasons never prompted the HJC to being an
"Impeachment inquiry"----rather they (pressed for time)
decided to vote impeachment anyway

5) The events (as I described before) leading up to the
Starr "unretirement" would requre a so-called "thinking
person" (like you claim to be) to ask: "what crime
ocurred" to cause Starr to "un-retire" so that he could
investigate it----then find out that none did---that it
wouldn't occure until 6 months IN THE FURTURE !

6) No where in the spam did I see ANY reference to
CPAC, the RNC, Bob Barr's call for Impeachment in 1992,
or William Bennett (CPAC) suggesting that a "question
of character" could help bring down Clinton. And, if
you recall, THAT prompted the $2.4 million of Richard
Mellon Scaife money to the American Spectator to "find"
Paula Jones

Vandar

Click@Knicklas.com wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:13:46 GMT, "Go Mavs"
> <Mav@ericks.com> wrote:
>

>>proved my point..
>>
>>no one wanted to debate the merits of the case in question...
>>
>>rest assure that they did not even read it.
>

> And for the Kazillionth time:
>
> 1 Clinton did not lie under oath

He most certainly did.