Re: Can't login to Rubyforge, just says "cookies must be enabled"

Tom Copeland

3/1/2007 10:00:00 PM

> > >I've only got Gecko based browsers on my machine (Firefox, Mozilla
> > >and
> > >Epiphaby) and they all do the same thing. My Firefox
> 2.0.0.2 install
> > >at work (on XP) however logs in fine.
> > >
> > >Farrel
> >
> > I even tried links and it's not working.
>
> That sounds like a firewall issue of some sort, though I'm
> not entirely sure how one would go about configuring a
> firewall to block any cookies. It may also, I suppose, be
> related to some kind of read/write permission issue.
>
> I'm grasping at straws, really. Your problem (that no
> browser, whether Gecko-based GUI or console-based TUI, will
> interact properly with the
> site) is on the weird side of the line.

Yeah, it's weird indeed... and as Chad said, since it doesn't happen to
you at work, it does seem like a client-side problem. Not sure if it's
browser or firewall, though.... odd.

Yours,

Tom

12 Answers

Chad Perrin

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 06:59:47AM +0900, Tom Copeland wrote:
> > 2.0.0.2 install

> > > I even tried links and it's not working.
> >
> > That sounds like a firewall issue of some sort, though I'm
> > not entirely sure how one would go about configuring a
> > firewall to block any cookies. It may also, I suppose, be
> > related to some kind of read/write permission issue.
> >
> > I'm grasping at straws, really. Your problem (that no
> > browser, whether Gecko-based GUI or console-based TUI, will
> > interact properly with the
> > site) is on the weird side of the line.
>
> Yeah, it's weird indeed... and as Chad said, since it doesn't happen to
> you at work, it does seem like a client-side problem. Not sure if it's
> browser or firewall, though.... odd.

Perhaps more to the point, it's clearly outside of the browser itself,
since links doesn't have any relation to Firefox or other Gecko-based
browsers. That makes it a system configuration issue or a network
configuration issue. Is there another computer at the same network
location you could use to test for the ability to log in? Is there some
way you could try logging in from the same computer but outside of
whatever you're using for a network gateway? Either of these two
tactics would help narrow down the problem somewhat, so that you should
be able to thereby determine whether it's a system or network issue.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"The measure on a man's real character is what he would do

Samantha

I emailed with him a few times offlist... He's in Gentoo in the GNOME
Environment. I thought of permission issues, so suggested that he run
firefox as root, but looks like he tried it and it didn't work.

It definitely sounds like a system or network issue, though.

Maybe something funky in the .mozilla folder underneath the
/home/username directory.

I'm not sure if all the Mozilla browsers like Seamonkey, Epiphany, and
Firefox use that directory or not.
--
Samantha

http://www.bab...

"Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet. Then
all things are at risk."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chad Perrin

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:58:24AM +0900, Samantha wrote:
> I emailed with him a few times offlist... He's in Gentoo in the GNOME
> Environment. I thought of permission issues, so suggested that he run
> firefox as root, but looks like he tried it and it didn't work.
>
> It definitely sounds like a system or network issue, though.
>
> Maybe something funky in the .mozilla folder underneath the
> /home/username directory.

He reported trying to connect via the links browser, which also did not
work. As such, it seems unlikely that it has anything to do with the
operation of any of his browser applications.

> I'm not sure if all the Mozilla browsers like Seamonkey, Epiphany, and
> Firefox use that directory or not.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"A script is what you give the actors. A program
is what you give the audience." - Larry Wall

Farrel Lifson

On 02/03/07, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:58:24AM +0900, Samantha wrote:
> > I emailed with him a few times offlist... He's in Gentoo in the GNOME
> > Environment. I thought of permission issues, so suggested that he run
> > firefox as root, but looks like he tried it and it didn't work.
> >
> > It definitely sounds like a system or network issue, though.
> >
> > Maybe something funky in the .mozilla folder underneath the
> > /home/username directory.
>
> He reported trying to connect via the links browser, which also did not
> work. As such, it seems unlikely that it has anything to do with the
> operation of any of his browser applications.
>

> > I'm not sure if all the Mozilla browsers like Seamonkey, Epiphany, and
> > Firefox use that directory or not.
>
> --
> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
> "A script is what you give the actors. A program
> is what you give the audience." - Larry Wall

the way) asking if anyone is having the same issues and I got a reply
from a person having the same issue. I'm not sure if our beloved
Telkom (worst telco in the world) is doing something wonky with SSL
packets (they have a penchant for traffic shaping) but that doesn't
explain why other sites usin SSL works fine or why I am able to log in
at work (which is a large SA corporation).

Farrel

Farrel Lifson

On 02/03/07, Farrel Lifson <farrel.lifson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/03/07, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:58:24AM +0900, Samantha wrote:
> > > I emailed with him a few times offlist... He's in Gentoo in the GNOME
> > > Environment. I thought of permission issues, so suggested that he run
> > > firefox as root, but looks like he tried it and it didn't work.
> > >
> > > It definitely sounds like a system or network issue, though.
> > >
> > > Maybe something funky in the .mozilla folder underneath the
> > > /home/username directory.
> >
> > He reported trying to connect via the links browser, which also did not
> > work. As such, it seems unlikely that it has anything to do with the
> > operation of any of his browser applications.
> >

> > > I'm not sure if all the Mozilla browsers like Seamonkey, Epiphany, and
> > > Firefox use that directory or not.
> >
> > --
> > CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
> > "A script is what you give the actors. A program
> > is what you give the audience." - Larry Wall

> the way) asking if anyone is having the same issues and I got a reply
> from a person having the same issue. I'm not sure if our beloved
> Telkom (worst telco in the world) is doing something wonky with SSL
> packets (they have a penchant for traffic shaping) but that doesn't
> explain why other sites usin SSL works fine or why I am able to log in
> at work (which is a large SA corporation).
>
> Farrel

I'm beginning to suspect that this is being caused by Telkom's
transparent proxy that most SA HTTP internet traffic goes through.
From the local OSS mailing list it seems it has caused issues before
because it gets blacklisted by sites.

Farrel

Gustav - Railist

Farrel Lifson wrote:
> On 02/03/07, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:58:24AM +0900, Samantha wrote:
>> > I emailed with him a few times offlist... He's in Gentoo in the GNOME
>> > Environment. I thought of permission issues, so suggested that he run
>> > firefox as root, but looks like he tried it and it didn't work.
>> >
>> > It definitely sounds like a system or network issue, though.
>> >
>> > Maybe something funky in the .mozilla folder underneath the
>> > /home/username directory.
>>
>> He reported trying to connect via the links browser, which also did not
>> work. As such, it seems unlikely that it has anything to do with the
>> operation of any of his browser applications.
>>

>> > I'm not sure if all the Mozilla browsers like Seamonkey, Epiphany, and
>> > Firefox use that directory or not.
>>
>> --
>> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
>> "A script is what you give the actors. A program
>> is what you give the audience." - Larry Wall

> the way) asking if anyone is having the same issues and I got a reply
> from a person having the same issue. I'm not sure if our beloved
> Telkom (worst telco in the world) is doing something wonky with SSL
> packets (they have a penchant for traffic shaping) but that doesn't
> explain why other sites usin SSL works fine or why I am able to log in
> at work (which is a large SA corporation).
>
> Farrel

I'm in South Africa too (Stellenbosch) and have the same issue. I've
tested it in Firefox 2.0 in both Windows XP and openSuSE 10.2 and both
show this behaviour. I have found that after several attempts I usually
get a page or so further (and the cookie gets set properly), but the
problem resurfaces a click or two later (and the cookie is suddenly
vanished).

Cheers,
Gustav Paul

Tom Copeland

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 19:04 +0900, Gustav Paul wrote:
> I'm in South Africa too (Stellenbosch) and have the same issue. I've
> tested it in Firefox 2.0 in both Windows XP and openSuSE 10.2 and both
> show this behaviour. I have found that after several attempts I usually
> get a page or so further (and the cookie gets set properly), but the
> problem resurfaces a click or two later (and the cookie is suddenly
> vanished).

Yikes. What a bummer...

Tom

Samantha

On Thursday 01 March 2007 07:07:52 pm Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:58:24AM +0900, Samantha wrote:
> > I emailed with him a few times offlist... He's in Gentoo in the GNOME
> > Environment. I thought of permission issues, so suggested that he run
> > firefox as root, but looks like he tried it and it didn't work.
> >
> > It definitely sounds like a system or network issue, though.
> >
> > Maybe something funky in the .mozilla folder underneath the
> > /home/username directory.
>
> He reported trying to connect via the links browser, which also did not
> work. As such, it seems unlikely that it has anything to do with the
> operation of any of his browser applications.

:) I thought he said he had even tried using *links*. (as in a href=
Hyperlinks, as the Lynx browswer isn't spelled links.) :)

It's obviously a network issue after seeing that it affects more people in the
area...

--
Samantha

http://www.bab...

"Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet. Then
all things are at risk."
  --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jano Svitok

On 3/2/07, Gustav Paul <gustav@rails.co.za> wrote:
> Farrel Lifson wrote:

> >> He reported trying to connect via the links browser, which also did not
> >> work. As such, it seems unlikely that it has anything to do with the
> >> operation of any of his browser applications.

> >> --
> >> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
> >> "A script is what you give the actors. A program
> >> is what you give the audience." - Larry Wall

> > the way) asking if anyone is having the same issues and I got a reply
> > from a person having the same issue. I'm not sure if our beloved
> > Telkom (worst telco in the world) is doing something wonky with SSL
> > packets (they have a penchant for traffic shaping) but that doesn't
> > explain why other sites usin SSL works fine or why I am able to log in
> > at work (which is a large SA corporation).
> >
> > Farrel
> >

> I'm in South Africa too (Stellenbosch) and have the same issue. I've
> tested it in Firefox 2.0 in both Windows XP and openSuSE 10.2 and both
> show this behaviour. I have found that after several attempts I usually
> get a page or so further (and the cookie gets set properly), but the
> problem resurfaces a click or two later (and the cookie is suddenly
> vanished).
>
> Cheers,
> Gustav Paul

Maybe some other proxy (tor?) or a ssh tunnel could solve this? Try
e.g. http://www.roo...

kristnjov

Samantha wrote:
> :) I thought he said he had even tried using *links*. (as in a href=
> Hyperlinks, as the Lynx browswer isn't spelled links.) :)

There is an alternative browser to lynx, called elinks, or sometimes
just *links*.

--Deniz Dogan