Re: rubynuby - confused by method name "inject"

Jenda Krynicky

3/1/2007 11:18:00 AM

Jeff Pritchard wrote:
> I must say I'm surprised that my tired old thread is still kicking
> around.
>
> If I may summarize, the reason I was confused by Inject is that it is
> useful but poorly named.
>
> many thanks for all the replies,
> jp

The thread is still kicking exactly because names are important. And
when it comes to inventing stupid names Ruby is a professional. inject?
yieiayeld? How the heck is the meaningless nonsense spellllled? Not
speaking about the fact that restiricting (well, almost) the methods to
a single block/closure/function passed is silly, though not as silly as
doing so behind the scenes (not included in the argument list) and
calling it using a silly keyword.

Rimantas Liubertas

> The thread is still kicking exactly because names are important. And
> when it comes to inventing stupid names Ruby is a professional.inject?

Don't you confuse "stupid" with "the ones I am not used to"?

> yieiayeld? How the heck is the meaningless nonsense spellllled?

You mean yield? Since when normal English word is meaningless nonsense?

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rim...

Robert Dober

On 3/1/07, Jenda Krynicky <jenda@cpan.org> wrote:
> Jeff Pritchard wrote:
> > I must say I'm surprised that my tired old thread is still kicking
> > around.
> >
> > If I may summarize, the reason I was confused by Inject is that it is
> > useful but poorly named.
> >
> > many thanks for all the replies,
> > jp
>
> The thread is still kicking exactly because names are important. And
> when it comes to inventing stupid names Ruby is a professional. inject?
> yieiayeld? How the heck is the meaningless nonsense spellllled? Not
> speaking about the fact that restiricting (well, almost) the methods to
> a single block/closure/function passed is silly, though not as silly as
> doing so behind the scenes (not included in the argument list) and
> calling it using a silly keyword.

it is not my style to feed trolls, but I just want to state:

you are polluting this ML
your posts are extremely annoying
I have no way to get rid of your posts without losing potential information

If your email address is authentic I consider informing CPAN about
your behavior.

Have a nice day.

Robert

-Anonymous

Jacob Fugal

On 3/1/07, Jenda Krynicky <jenda@cpan.org> wrote:
> Jeff Pritchard wrote:
> > I must say I'm surprised that my tired old thread is still kicking
> > around.
> >
> > If I may summarize, the reason I was confused by Inject is that it is
> > useful but poorly named.
> >
> > many thanks for all the replies,
> > jp
>
> The thread is still kicking exactly because names are important. And
> when it comes to inventing stupid names Ruby is a professional. inject?
> yieiayeld? How the heck is the meaningless nonsense spellllled? Not
> speaking about the fact that restiricting (well, almost) the methods to
> a single block/closure/function passed is silly, though not as silly as
> doing so behind the scenes (not included in the argument list) and
> calling it using a silly keyword.

I have to ask, from the apparent bitterness and outright hostility of
your frequent and recent posts -- did a Ruby-programmed DARPA GRand
Challenge[1] contestant run over your puppy?

Jacob Fugal

[1] http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge...