Mechanize - Altering a WWW::Mechanize::Page document

qYuri-us

3/1/2007 2:33:00 AM

Some web pages use Javascript to add a bit of crucial html to the DOM after
the web page has been downloaded. Sometimes it's trivial to make the
modifications to the page as Javascript would have done. Is there a way for
Mechanize to reload or reparse the WWW::Mechanize::Page document with the
user-made changes with the same context as the original page?
10 Answers

Obveeus

"Mason Barge" <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to say, too, that when I was a kid (before AC) houses in the
> south, especially Florida, were built for hot weather. Heck, the house
> where I lived in El Paso had a system that dribbled water on the roof!

Swamp cooler or mister system? I'm guessing swamp cooler, which works great
(translation cheap) in low humidity conditions if you don't mind the inside
of your house feeling wet. Mister systems are more designed for back patios
and such where the direct application of water droplets is better than
nothing at all when trying to fight the heat.

Obveeus

"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have to say, too, that when I was a kid (before AC) houses in the
>>south, especially Florida, were built for hot weather. Heck, the house
>>where I lived in El Paso had a system that dribbled water on the roof!
>
> They used to know how to build houses to take advantage of the chimney
> effect. Even if air conditioning is available, a house should still be
> designed to be as comfortable as possible without it so you use it less
> often. Did keeping the roof wet actually work? Seems like that wouldn't
> accomplish much.

I think the roof dribble had to be unintended output...perhaps from a swamp
cooler and maybe even from the air conditioning side of a 'heat pump'.
Either way, the runoff should have fed into a tube, not simply out onto the
roof.

Jim G.

Dano sent the following on 6/21/2012 12:43 PM:
> "Mason Barge" wrote in message
>

> PS. High in Atlanta today, 91. High in Winter Park, FL, 85.
>
> =======================================
>
> Right this minute in Boston Mass. 94...headed for 100.

Dayum. Allow me to offer an apology to the peninsula of Florida for
painting the entire state with a Jacksonville brush.

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
"I find it's best if you just ... go with it." -- Lincoln Lee, providing

Jim G.

Mason Barge sent the following on 6/21/2012 10:33 AM:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:31:51 -0500, "Jim G."
> <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Mason Barge sent the following on 6/20/2012 5:16 PM:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Neither one would kill you, but the rattlesnake would only make your *arm*
>>> drop off.
>>
>> It's just as well that I don't like slimy things. And I'm not talking
>> about snakes when I say that.

>>> Cubans. Then Domenicans, Haitians, etc.
>>
>> They hid their car keys? They snuck onto the grounds of the assisted
>> living facilities and let the air out of tons of tires?
>
> Well, I don't live down there. Best I can tell, older people actually
> drive less and less, because traffic has gotten so bad.
>
> In Miami, there are a lot of simply insane drivers from the Caribbean.
> They are way worse than the little blueheads who can't see over the
> steering wheel.

Now that's just too scary for words.

> Maybe old folk driving is as bad as ever, it just isn't as noticeable when
> there's a guy passing you on the right shoulder at 70 mpg. But I have to
> say, I haven't seen a car on the interestate poking along at 50 mph with
> the left blinker permanently on, in a long time.

Natural selection at work?

> PS. High in Atlanta today, 91. High in Winter Park, FL, 85.

You've convinced me. The entire state is not like Jacksonville. :)

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
"I find it's best if you just ... go with it." -- Lincoln Lee, providing
us with FRINGE's "Every question just leads to more questions" moment

Jim G.

Adam H. Kerman sent the following on 6/21/2012 1:19 PM:
> Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have to say, too, that when I was a kid (before AC) houses in the
>> south, especially Florida, were built for hot weather. Heck, the house
>> where I lived in El Paso had a system that dribbled water on the roof!
>
> They used to know how to build houses to take advantage of the chimney
> effect. Even if air conditioning is available, a house should still be
> designed to be as comfortable as possible without it so you use it less
> often. Did keeping the roof wet actually work? Seems like that wouldn't
> accomplish much.

Agreed. Even in these days of air-conditioning, every house being built
should, at the very least, have its windows laid out in such a way as to
promote cross-breezes that can often reduce or eliminate the need to
fire up the AC unit in the first place. I'll bet that there are all
sorts of old tricks that aren't being used anymore simply because it's
easier to just assume that folks will crank up the AC...

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
"I find it's best if you just ... go with it." -- Lincoln Lee, providing
us with FRINGE's "Every question just leads to more questions" moment

shawn

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 15:00:17 -0500, "Jim G."
<jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

>Adam H. Kerman sent the following on 6/21/2012 1:19 PM:
>> Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have to say, too, that when I was a kid (before AC) houses in the
>>> south, especially Florida, were built for hot weather. Heck, the house
>>> where I lived in El Paso had a system that dribbled water on the roof!
>>
>> They used to know how to build houses to take advantage of the chimney
>> effect. Even if air conditioning is available, a house should still be
>> designed to be as comfortable as possible without it so you use it less
>> often. Did keeping the roof wet actually work? Seems like that wouldn't
>> accomplish much.
>
>Agreed. Even in these days of air-conditioning, every house being built
>should, at the very least, have its windows laid out in such a way as to
>promote cross-breezes that can often reduce or eliminate the need to
>fire up the AC unit in the first place. I'll bet that there are all
>sorts of old tricks that aren't being used anymore simply because it's
>easier to just assume that folks will crank up the AC...
Yeah, the house I lived in for a number of years was good at the cross
breezes so even in summer in south Ga the temps were tolerable with
only a fan to cool off (and none in my room for sleeping at night.) My
current apartment has multiple windows but they are all on one side so
there is no cross breeze unless the wind is blowing at just the right
direction to pull the air out of the room. Therefore you have to turn
on the AC as soon as the temp gets into the 80s (or even the 70s if
you are doing much cooking) unless you want to bake.

Obveeus

"shawn" <nanoflower@gNOTmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 15:00:17 -0500, "Jim G."
> <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>I'll bet that there are all
>>sorts of old tricks that aren't being used anymore simply because it's
>>easier to just assume that folks will crank up the AC...

> Yeah, the house I lived in for a number of years was good at the cross
> breezes so even in summer in south Ga the temps were tolerable with
> only a fan to cool off (and none in my room for sleeping at night.)

I buy a big block of ice from a company in New York, they ship it to me on a
barge and I put it in the basement. It slowly melts over the course of the
summer, but as long as I spend the better part of mid day sitting near it in
the basement, I can stay cool.

....oh wait, that was my last life. ;-)

Mason Barge

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:19:11 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have to say, too, that when I was a kid (before AC) houses in the
>>south, especially Florida, were built for hot weather. Heck, the house
>>where I lived in El Paso had a system that dribbled water on the roof!
>
>They used to know how to build houses to take advantage of the chimney
>effect. Even if air conditioning is available, a house should still be
>designed to be as comfortable as possible without it so you use it less
>often.

Well, that's exactly right in Georgia and the rest of the south, and
rather wrong in Florida, where they basically went for airflow rather than
insulation. There was even a phenomenon called "Florida rooms" -- and I'm
not making this up, it was a big selling point in the 50s -- that were
basically big screened porches with a terrazo floor.

My bedroom was continuous windows on three sides.

> Did keeping the roof wet actually work? Seems like that wouldn't
>accomplish much.

Yeah, it wouldn't do much in the southeast but I bet it cooled things at
least 10 degrees in El Paso.

Our house in Florida actually had solar hot water, some ancient system
that was just glass boxes on the roof with black rubber hoses running
through it!

Mason Barge

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:26:39 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have to say, too, that when I was a kid (before AC) houses in the
>>>south, especially Florida, were built for hot weather. Heck, the house
>>>where I lived in El Paso had a system that dribbled water on the roof!
>>
>> They used to know how to build houses to take advantage of the chimney
>> effect. Even if air conditioning is available, a house should still be
>> designed to be as comfortable as possible without it so you use it less
>> often. Did keeping the roof wet actually work? Seems like that wouldn't
>> accomplish much.
>
>I think the roof dribble had to be unintended output...perhaps from a swamp
>cooler and maybe even from the air conditioning side of a 'heat pump'.
>Either way, the runoff should have fed into a tube, not simply out onto the
>roof.

I oversimplified a little. It was a real system, though -- water powered
air conditioning or something, a water-evaporation cooling system for the
roof.

Anim8rFSK

In article <jrvui3$ssb$8@news.albasani.net>,
"Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Adam H. Kerman sent the following on 6/21/2012 1:19 PM:
> > Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have to say, too, that when I was a kid (before AC) houses in the
> >> south, especially Florida, were built for hot weather. Heck, the house
> >> where I lived in El Paso had a system that dribbled water on the roof!
> >
> > They used to know how to build houses to take advantage of the chimney
> > effect. Even if air conditioning is available, a house should still be
> > designed to be as comfortable as possible without it so you use it less
> > often. Did keeping the roof wet actually work? Seems like that wouldn't
> > accomplish much.
>
> Agreed. Even in these days of air-conditioning, every house being built
> should, at the very least, have its windows laid out in such a way as to
> promote cross-breezes that can often reduce or eliminate the need to
> fire up the AC unit in the first place. I'll bet that there are all
> sorts of old tricks that aren't being used anymore simply because it's
> easier to just assume that folks will crank up the AC...

CROSS BREEZES???

Are you in some bizarre way assuming that there's some point at which we
OPEN OUR WINDOWS!??!??!??!

--
"Every time a Kardashian gets a TV show, an angel dies."