Can't login to Rubyforge, just says "cookies must be enabled"

Farrel Lifson

2/28/2007 10:16:00 PM

I registered a new account on Rubyforge but can't seem to login. After
receiving the confirmation email and activating the account every time
I try to login I just get taken straight back to the login page. The
only message is above the user/password textboxes claiming "Cookies
must be enabled past this point. " although cookies in my browser
(Firefox 2.0.0.2) are definitely enabled.

Is there something else I have to do to login?

Farrel

10 Answers

Tom Copeland

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 07:15 +0900, Farrel Lifson wrote:
> I registered a new account on Rubyforge but can't seem to login. After
> receiving the confirmation email and activating the account every time
> I try to login I just get taken straight back to the login page. The
> only message is above the user/password textboxes claiming "Cookies
> must be enabled past this point. " although cookies in my browser
> (Firefox 2.0.0.2) are definitely enabled.
>
> Is there something else I have to do to login?

Hi Farrel -

Hm, were you able to get this sorted out? If not, please post a support
req here:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=102&group_id=5&f...

Thanks,

Tom

Farrel Lifson

> Hi Farrel -
>
> Hm, were you able to get this sorted out? If not, please post a support
> req here:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=102&group_id=5&f...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Still have the same problem. Have posted a support request.

Farrel

Farrel Lifson

On 01/03/07, Samantha <rubygeekgirl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried another browser, just to be on the safe side?
>
> --
> Samantha
>
> http://www.bab...
>
> "Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet. Then all
> things are at risk."
> --Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've only got Gecko based browsers on my machine (Firefox, Mozilla and
Epiphaby) and they all do the same thing. My Firefox 2.0.0.2 install
at work (on XP) however logs in fine.

Farrel

Farrel Lifson

On 01/03/07, Farrel Lifson <farrel.lifson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've only got Gecko based browsers on my machine (Firefox, Mozilla and
> Epiphaby) and they all do the same thing. My Firefox 2.0.0.2 install
> at work (on XP) however logs in fine.
>
> Farrel

I even tried links and it's not working.

Farrel

Chad Perrin

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 04:36:40AM +0900, Farrel Lifson wrote:
> On 01/03/07, Farrel Lifson <farrel.lifson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I've only got Gecko based browsers on my machine (Firefox, Mozilla and
> >Epiphaby) and they all do the same thing. My Firefox 2.0.0.2 install
> >at work (on XP) however logs in fine.
> >
> >Farrel
>
> I even tried links and it's not working.

That sounds like a firewall issue of some sort, though I'm not entirely
sure how one would go about configuring a firewall to block any cookies.
It may also, I suppose, be related to some kind of read/write permission
issue.

I'm grasping at straws, really. Your problem (that no browser, whether
Gecko-based GUI or console-based TUI, will interact properly with the
site) is on the weird side of the line.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"The ability to quote is a serviceable

Farrel Lifson

I've managed to solve the problem! It was an issue with Telkom's
transparent proxying. I managed to find a list of alternate Telkom
SAIX proxies at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dewet/SA...
and one of them worked! For other SA users who can't log in to
Rubyforge check out that page and find one that works for you.

Thanks for all your help.

Farrel

Greg Hurrell

For what it's worth, I can't log in to Rubyforge either.

I've tried using Safari and Firefox but I keep getting redirected back
to the login page. This is in Spain, I'm not aware of any transparent
proxies set up by my ISP (Telefónica), and cookies are turned on. I
was previously able to log in fine but over the last few days no
luck...

Greg

Alex Fenton

Farrel Lifson wrote:
> I've managed to solve the problem! It was an issue with Telkom's
> transparent proxying. I managed to find a list of alternate Telkom
> SAIX proxies at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dewet/SA...
> and one of them worked! For other SA users who can't log in to
> Rubyforge check out that page and find one that works for you.

Anyone else in the UK on NTL/Virgin Media having this problem as of the last week or two? - and any suggestions for a fix?

thanks
alex

Clifford Heath

Greg Hurrell wrote:
> For what it's worth, I can't log in to Rubyforge either.
> I've tried using Safari and Firefox but I keep getting redirected back
> to the login page.

I had the same problem here, but if you entered the right password,
you have the login cookie and are in fact logged in. It's just that
the page didn't direct you back where you wanted to be. If you enter
the RubyForge URL again, you'll find that you are already logged in.

Clifford Heath.

Alex Fenton

Clifford Heath wrote:

> I had the same problem here, but if you entered the right password,
> you have the login cookie and are in fact logged in. It's just that
> the page didn't direct you back where you wanted to be. If you enter
> the RubyForge URL again, you'll find that you are already logged in.

With a bit more poking, that's not quite what's happening for me (on NTL UK, which uses transparent proxies).

When I login, the session cookie is set correctly, but then immediately after, rubyforge sends a 'deleted' cookie to expire the login. If I accept the first cookie but reject the subsequent ones I can wriggle by, but it's obviously not right.

I've tried explicitly setting my proxy to one only of the five possible ones, but thsi doesn't help. I've also confirmed that the proxies are setting the X-Forwarded-For http header to my IP address, so there should be a unique IP to latch onto.

I'm stumped and would appreciate any help - especially b/c we're currently trying to put out a new release of wxruby....

cheers
alex