PlanMachine9 - any interest?

Gavin Kistner

2/27/2007 10:30:00 PM

In my spare time I created a library in Ruby that mimics something I
needed at work. I call it PlanMachine9 (from outer space), and you can
find what I threw together here:

http://phrogz.net/RubyLibs/Pla...

I'm not ANNouncing it yet, because it's not packaged up or polished at
all at this stage. I'm mostly trying to gauge interest before I
potentially waste time doing that.

Do any of you look at this and say "Oh, yeah, that would work really
well for me to do____!" If so, I'd be interested in feedback around
some aspects of it:

* Should state transitions resulting from events be synchronous to
the event firing, or should events be queued up and processed during a
(timed or explicit) call to #update?

* Is the env variable interesting, or would you always be replacing
the machine-specific variables with direct access to variables in
other code? (For example, the 'obstacles hit' count used in the
example on that page could totally be an instance variable tracked on
the Elevator class itself, removing any need for 'env' altogether.)

* Are there any aspects of the precondition/postcondition/prelude/
postlude/action setup that you think you would never use, that I
should remove to simplify things?

20 Answers

Logan Capaldo

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 07:30:05AM +0900, Phrogz wrote:
> In my spare time I created a library in Ruby that mimics something I
> needed at work. I call it PlanMachine9 (from outer space), and you can
> find what I threw together here:
>
> http://phrogz.net/RubyLibs/Pla...

FYI: http://plan9.bell-labs....

You may (or may not) want to change the name before the first official
release. At least when I saw it my first reaction was "Cool, some more
Plan 9 related stuff for ruby like http://home.gna.org/ruby... :)

Chad Perrin

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 07:47:46AM +0900, Logan Capaldo wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 07:30:05AM +0900, Phrogz wrote:
> > In my spare time I created a library in Ruby that mimics something I
> > needed at work. I call it PlanMachine9 (from outer space), and you can
> > find what I threw together here:
> >
> > http://phrogz.net/RubyLibs/Pla...
> >
> FYI: http://plan9.bell-labs....
>
> You may (or may not) want to change the name before the first official
> release. At least when I saw it my first reaction was "Cool, some more
> Plan 9 related stuff for ruby like http://home.gna.org/ruby... :)

I basically had the same reaction, except I didn't know about Ruby-IXP.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your

Gavin Kistner

On Feb 27, 4:04 pm, Chad Perrin <per...@apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 07:47:46AM +0900, Logan Capaldo wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 07:30:05AM +0900, Phrogz wrote:
> > > In my spare time I created a library in Ruby that mimics something I
> > > needed at work. I call it PlanMachine9 (from outer space), and you can
> > > find what I threw together here:
>
> > >http://phrogz.net/RubyLibs/Pla...
>
> > FYI:http://plan9.bell-labs....
>
> > You may (or may not) want to change the name before the first official
> > release. At least when I saw it my first reaction was "Cool, some more
> > Plan 9 related stuff for ruby likehttp://home.gna.org/ruby... :)
>
> I basically had the same reaction, except I didn't know about Ruby-IXP.

Bah, all the good puns are taken. Thanks, though. Maybe I'll keep the
name, AND steal their bunny. Ver' cute.

Chad Perrin

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:10:12AM +0900, Phrogz wrote:
> On Feb 27, 4:04 pm, Chad Perrin <per...@apotheon.com> wrote:

> > > FYI:http://plan9.bell-labs....
> >
> > > You may (or may not) want to change the name before the first official
> > > release. At least when I saw it my first reaction was "Cool, some more
> > > Plan 9 related stuff for ruby likehttp://home.gna.org/ruby... :)
> >
> > I basically had the same reaction, except I didn't know about Ruby-IXP.
>
> Bah, all the good puns are taken. Thanks, though. Maybe I'll keep the
> name, AND steal their bunny. Ver' cute.

How about Plan8?

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could actually

Chad Perrin

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:34:39AM +0900, Glen Holcomb wrote:
> Or Plan10 depending on how you want to pun it.

I thought about that, but that might be used as the name for a later
version of the OS, too.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
Leon Festinger: "A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell

Robert Klemme

On 28.02.2007 00:38, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:34:39AM +0900, Glen Holcomb wrote:
>> Or Plan10 depending on how you want to pun it.
>
> I thought about that, but that might be used as the name for a later
> version of the OS, too.

I opt for "Plan9.5". :-)

robert

Austin Ziegler

On 2/28/07, Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 28.02.2007 00:38, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:34:39AM +0900, Glen Holcomb wrote:
> >> Or Plan10 depending on how you want to pun it.
> > I thought about that, but that might be used as the name for a later
> > version of the OS, too.
> I opt for "Plan9.5". :-)

Why not PlanKyu? (Kyu is Japanese for nine. Hopefully, I've got the
romaji right.)

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

dblack

Gavin Kistner

On Feb 28, 7:57 am, "Austin Ziegler" <halosta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not PlanKyu? (Kyu is Japanese for nine. Hopefully, I've got the
> romaji right.)

Plankyu very much for the suggestion. ;)

obstinate.jack@gmail.com

On Feb 28, 10:28 am, "Phrogz" <g...@refinery.com> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 7:57 am, "Austin Ziegler" <halosta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why not PlanKyu? (Kyu is Japanese for nine. Hopefully, I've got the
> > romaji right.)
>
> Plankyu very much for the suggestion. ;)

PurenKyu(Plan9 in Japafied Engrish)