RubyGems for Ruby 1.9

Damian Terentyev

2/27/2007 1:40:00 PM

Good day all!
I have problems installing and running RubyGems with Ruby 1.9.
Most of all they arise because of File.exists? method was changed to
File.exist?, but there may be other inconsistencies as well.
Has anyone successfully installed RubyGems for 1.9?
Maybe it is possible to get RubyGems from subversion repository?

I also have another question — maybe anyone knows what was the purpose
of changing the name of the aforementioned method, because at first
sight it seems to contradict Ruby english-like syntax and the Principle
of Least Surprise.

Yours sincerely,
Damian/Three-eyed Fish

2 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Feb 27, 2007, at 05:39, Damian Terentyev wrote:
> I have problems installing and running RubyGems with Ruby 1.9.
> Most of all they arise because of File.exists? method was changed
> to File.exist?, but there may be other inconsistencies as well.

Do you have a patch? Please file it in the RubyGems bug tracker.
(If you post it here, I'm sure it will get lost.)

> Has anyone successfully installed RubyGems for 1.9?

Not recently, no. 1.9 is too much of a moving target to say any
particular piece of software is guaranteed to work with it.

> Maybe it is possible to get RubyGems from subversion repository?

Unlikely. I don't believe any such changes have been made.

> I also have another question — maybe anyone knows what was the
> purpose of changing the name of the aforementioned method, because
> at first sight it seems to contradict Ruby english-like syntax and
> the Principle of Least Surprise.

It was deprecated in 1.8.

John Doe

On 28 Jan 2011 08:13:55 GMT, rfischer@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>NoBody <NoBody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>>>LOL! The _special_ kind of stupid asshole asks for specifics when he
>>>refuses to provide any.
>>
>>Where have I not provided specifics to something I've said
>
>Just above, dumbass rightard. You cite a web site without identifying
>anything on that web site.

The specifics are contained in the story, complete with links to their
source. I guess you're saying you can't read. You've failed again...

> "And I'm just *sure* you posted condemning Rachel Maddow's remarks
> about killing Buish...." whined Nobody in <7i1ri6lsfqj5qcj020rqqf20oru89o8rj5@4ax.com>
> apparently trying to excuse the right-wing political assassination attempt that
> killed six people.

And even more irony from ray-ray since the quotation from me doesn't
excuse anything and he lies in that there is no evidence the attack
was a "right-wing political assassination attempt".

"The US Supreme Court, by definition, is never wrong." (apparently
saying that the Dredd Scott Decision was correct -- watch him squirm
and twist folks...).

Ray Fischer in
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.rush-limbaugh/msg/a64a6e42ee66e572?dm...