Making Ruby faster with Judy

Tomasz Wegrzanowski

2/27/2007 1:32:00 AM

I tried to optimize Ruby a bit more. The results vary quite a lot with
benchmarks,
but typical improvement is about 5% less time and 4% less memory.

More about it:
* http://t-a-w.blo...2007/02/ruby-and...
And a patch against Ruby 1.8.2-p12:
* http://zabor.org/taw/ruby-performance-patch-judy-2007-02-2...

--
Tomasz Wegrzanowski [ http://t-a-w.blo... ]

1 Answer

Mauricio Fernández

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:31:49AM +0900, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> I tried to optimize Ruby a bit more. The results vary quite a lot with
> benchmarks, but typical improvement is about 5% less time and 4% less
> memory.
>
> More about it:
> * http://t-a-w.blogspot.com/2007/02/ruby-and...
> And a patch against Ruby 1.8.2-p12:
> * http://zabor.org/taw/ruby-performance-patch-judy-2007-02-2...

I wrote a naïve patch to use Judy for ruby's internal tables in 2002; unlike
yours, it replaced all st_tables IIRC, but some of the feedback from Judy's
author might still apply, see [48365].

matz took a look at Judy last year, see
http://www.rubyist.net/~matz/200...
He seemed pretty excited about it, but the license (LGPL) would make
integration a bit cumbersome.

Normally, a patch like this should be tested in HEAD before it gets in the 1.8
branch, but it's knu's call, of course.

PS. please don't include all of configure when just configure.in will do ;)
--
Mauricio Fernandez - http://eige... - singular Ruby
** Latest postings **