fastthread installation fails - debian - w or w/o gem

paukul@googlemail.com

iam trying to install fastthread, but it fails with the message:
---------
extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
from extconf.rb:1

ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/
fastthread-0.6.4.1 for inspection.

Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/fastthread-0.6.4.1/ext/
fastthread/gem_make.out
--------

i tried it both with gem install fastthread and by downloading it from
the project
website und install it with ruby setup.rb => Same result

Iam realy new with ruby so i don't know what to do. google didnt help
me anyway... I'd be happy if someone could give me a hint..

Pascal Friederich

3 Answers

Brian Candler

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 06:40:05PM +0900, paukul@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> iam trying to install fastthread, but it fails with the message:
> ---------
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
> from extconf.rb:1

For Debian/Ubuntu, you need to install the ruby1.8-dev package to get mkmf
(which is a standard part of Ruby, it's just that Debian broke up the core
Ruby into shrapnel packages)

HTH,

Brian.

paukul@googlemail.com

On 26 Feb., 10:44, Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com> wrote:

> For Debian/Ubuntu, you need to install the ruby1.8-dev package to get mkmf
> (which is a standard part of Ruby, it's just that Debian broke up the core
> Ruby into shrapnel packages)

works. thanks so much!

MenTaLguY

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:40:05 +0900, "paukul@googlemail.com" <paukul@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> iam trying to install fastthread, but it fails with the message:
> ---------
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
> from extconf.rb:1

You will need to install the ruby1.8-dev Debian package in order to be able to install gems with C extensions (like fastthread).

-mental