Re: Textmate on Windoze!

Chad Perrin

2/23/2007 8:03:00 AM

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 01:36:09PM +0900, William Smith wrote:
> http://www.e-texteditor.com/...
>
> Check it out.

That would require using MS Windows. When is someone going to port it
the other way -- to FreeBSD? That might be interesting.

Then again, I doubt I'd be able to tear myself away from Vim long enough
to give it a fair shake.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your

33 Answers

Giles Bowkett

> Then again, I doubt I'd be able to tear myself away from Vim long enough
> to give it a fair shake.

I did. There are definitely places where vi wins, but TextMate's
pretty awesome. It's my default editor these days.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesg...

James Gray

On Feb 23, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Giles Bowkett wrote:

>> Then again, I doubt I'd be able to tear myself away from Vim long
>> enough
>> to give it a fair shake.
>
> I did. There are definitely places where vi wins, but TextMate's
> pretty awesome. It's my default editor these days.

<advertisement>
And a little bird tells me that the book for it will ship early next
week:

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/textmate/...

(Amazon already has it in stock.)
</advertisement>

James Edward Gray II

Jonas Hartmann

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 01:36:09PM +0900, William Smith wrote:
>> http://www.e-texteditor.com/...
>>
>> Check it out.
>
> That would require using MS Windows. When is someone going to port it
> the other way -- to FreeBSD? That might be interesting.
>
> Then again, I doubt I'd be able to tear myself away from Vim long enough
> to give it a fair shake.

i wonder, with all the fame it got, why the textmate guys dont recode
it based on QT4 and add skinning and make it feel native like it is on
os x. its slow now and i cant imagen it getting so much slower ;p but
its a great and very productive tool.

--
Jonas Hartmann
www : http://www.Jonas-Ha...

Gregory Seidman

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 01:30:06AM +0900, Jonas Hartmann wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 01:36:09PM +0900, William Smith wrote:
> >>http://www.e-texteditor.com/...
> >>
> >>Check it out.
> >
> >That would require using MS Windows. When is someone going to port it
> >the other way -- to FreeBSD? That might be interesting.
> >
> >Then again, I doubt I'd be able to tear myself away from Vim long enough
> >to give it a fair shake.
> >

> i wonder, with all the fame it got, why the textmate guys dont recode
> it based on QT4 and add skinning and make it feel native like it is on
> os x. its slow now and i cant imagen it getting so much slower ;p but
> its a great and very productive tool.

I'm just wondering whether E is shipping with a bunch of Textmate bundles
taken without permission from the actual Textmate app. Anyone know?

Disclaimer: I use Vim, and like it. Textmate is just a curiosity to me.

> Jonas Hartmann
--Greg

Rimantas Liubertas

> I'm just wondering whether E is shipping with a bunch of Textmate bundles
> taken without permission from the actual Textmate app. Anyone know?

"Allan was very positive about the prospect of me making the editor
compatible with textmate, and he had no problems with me using the
textmate bundles. Having more people, on more platforms, to use and
improve the bundles, could only make them even more powerful and
comprehensive."

Source: http://e-texteditor.com/blog/2006/textmate_...

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rim...

James Gray

On Feb 23, 2007, at 10:50 AM, Gregory Seidman wrote:

> I'm just wondering whether E is shipping with a bunch of Textmate
> bundles
> taken without permission from the actual Textmate app. Anyone know?

TextMate's bundles are open source, unlike the application. No rules
are broken here.

Allan Odgaard, the creator of TextMate, has been supportive of the e
editor effort.

James Edward Gray II

Ben Bleything

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007, Jonas Hartmann wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> i wonder, with all the fame it got, why the textmate guys dont recode
> it based on QT4 and add skinning and make it feel native like it is on
> os x. its slow now and i cant imagen it getting so much slower ;p but
> its a great and very productive tool.

TextMate is slow? What part(s)?

Ben

Gregory Seidman

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 01:56:42AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2007, at 10:50 AM, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> >I'm just wondering whether E is shipping with a bunch of Textmate
> >bundles taken without permission from the actual Textmate app. Anyone
> >know?
>
> TextMate's bundles are open source, unlike the application. No rules
> are broken here.
>
> Allan Odgaard, the creator of TextMate, has been supportive of the e
> editor effort.

Ah, good to know. I retract all aspersions cast.

> James Edward Gray II
--Greg

Chris Gernon

Ben Bleything wrote:
> TextMate is slow? What part(s)?

"Find in Project" regularly takes upwards of 60 seconds for me, during
which TextMate is completely unresponsive, its memory usage rockets from
30 MB up to over 900 MB (!), and every other application I'm running
slows down to the point of near-unusability (probably due to the memory
usage).

It's also a good deal slower than TextWrangler at opening large text
files (say, over 8 MB).

Having said that, it's still the only text editor I use. It's a
fantastic piece of software. I wouldn't mind seeing Find in Project
speeded up in the next version, though. :D

Gavin Kistner

On Feb 23, 11:05 am, Chris Gernon <kabi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ben Bleything wrote:
> > TextMate is slow? What part(s)?
>
> "Find in Project" regularly takes upwards of 60 seconds for me, during
> which TextMate is completely unresponsive, its memory usage rockets from
> 30 MB up to over 900 MB (!), and every other application I'm running
> slows down to the point of near-unusability (probably due to the memory
> usage).

How many files are in your project? How big are all those files
(aggregate)? What machine is this running on? How much physical RAM do
you have? How many other applications are you running? How much free
disk space do you have?

Not trying to be defensive, curious for the benchmark data point.