Searched Files -- Now Display in UI

drinnovations

2/22/2007 1:40:00 PM

Hi All:

I made a small simple program to search for regular expressions
interactively in inputted particular directory and its sub-
directories.

Its a simple short program in Ruby (one of my Initial ones).

I direct my output to a log file in the format I want to.

Now that I have an Output of Files, I want a UI for this, so that the
listed files are displayed right there in a UI Frame that I can click
directly to open. I don't want to get the path from my log file and
then open it.

1. To me, I would guess this would need a UI Library. Which one to
use?
2. Can we do this with the File Listed there in the UI frame and I can
directly open the file from there?
3. Platform currently being focussed on: Windows XP. If the UI is
portable,I guess it would work under Linux also?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

2 Answers

akbarhome

On Feb 22, 8:40 pm, drinnovati...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I made a small simple program to search for regular expressions
> interactively in inputted particular directory and its sub-
> directories.
>
> Its a simple short program in Ruby (one of my Initial ones).
>
> I direct my output to a log file in the format I want to.
>
> Now that I have an Output of Files, I want a UI for this, so that the
> listed files are displayed right there in a UI Frame that I can click
> directly to open. I don't want to get the path from my log file and
> then open it.
>
> 1. To me, I would guess this would need a UI Library. Which one to
> use?
> 2. Can we do this with the File Listed there in the UI frame and I can
> directly open the file from there?
> 3. Platform currently being focussed on: Windows XP. If the UI is
> portable,I guess it would work under Linux also?
>
> Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Tk is the most portable one (although it is ugly).
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/e...

drinnovations

> Tk is the most portable one (although it is ugly).http://www.rubycentral.com/book/ex... Hide quoted text -

Can this be done as per Original Quesion...
"2. Can we do this with the File Listed there in the UI frame and I
can
directly open the file from there? "

Any pointers where I can read about this.
Is there a cleaner library than Tk?
Like Swing in Java.