Test failing with gem only

Alex Gutteridge

I've got an issue with some unit tests which pass fine under rake and
when run manually, but fail when run at gem installation time.
Unfortunately, gem doesn't specify which tests fail - is there a way
to change this behaviour? Or can anyone suggest any reasons for tests
failing under gem -t but not under Rake?

I've pasted a session below showing what I mean. The rake test passes
fine, then I build a fresh gem and attempt a gem -t install. This
shows a few failures but I install anyway. Then I move to the gem
directory and run the tests from there which again pass without
failing. Knowing which tests are failing would be a start.

~/rubyforge/rsruby$ rake test
/opt/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/bin/rake:17:Warning: require_gem is
obsolete. Use gem instead.
(in /home/alexg/rubyforge/rsruby)
/opt/ruby/bin/ruby -w -Ilib:ext:bin:test test/test_all.rb
Loaded suite test/test_all
Started
Finished in 0.584575 seconds.

~/rubyforge/rsruby$ rake package
/opt/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/bin/rake:17:Warning: require_gem is
obsolete. Use gem instead.
(in /home/alexg/rubyforge/rsruby)
Successfully built RubyGem
Name: rsruby
Version: 0.4.3
File: rsruby-0.4.3.gem
mv rsruby-0.4.3.gem pkg/rsruby-0.4.3.gem
~/rubyforge/rsruby$ gem install pkg/rsruby-0.4.3.gem -t -- --with-R-
dir=$R_HOME
Successfully installed rsruby, version 0.4.3
Installing ri documentation for rsruby-0.4.3...
Installing RDoc documentation for rsruby-0.4.3...
ERROR: 79 tests, 195 assertions, 5 failures, 1 errors
...keep Gem? [Yn] y
~/rubyforge/rsruby$ cd /opt/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/gems/rsruby-0.4.3/
/opt/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/gems/rsruby-0.4.3$ ruby test/test_all.rb
Loaded suite test/test_all
Started
Finished in 0.585885 seconds.

/opt/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/gems/rsruby-0.4.3$

Alex Gutteridge

Bioinformatics Center
Kyoto University

8 Answers

Jano Svitok

> failing. Knowing which tests are failing would be a start.

Try this: open site_ruby/rubygems/validator.rb, find
Gem::Validator#unit_test and replace UI::SILENT with UI::NORMAL. It's
a hack, but should do the job.

Alex Gutteridge

On 23 Feb 2007, at 08:54, Jan Svitok wrote:

>> failing. Knowing which tests are failing would be a start.
>
> Try this: open site_ruby/rubygems/validator.rb, find
> Gem::Validator#unit_test and replace UI::SILENT with UI::NORMAL. It's
> a hack, but should do the job.

Thanks! You're a superstar. I will be submitting a patch to rubygems
to add this functionality on the command line. Unless anyone can
think of a reason why you wouldn't want to know which tests fail for
a gem?

The answer to my original question was that the tests were getting
run in a slightly different order to rake. A small bug in one of the
setup routines meant that things weren't quite getting reset to the
way they should have been.

Alex Gutteridge

Bioinformatics Center
Kyoto University

Neil H.

Fonda is, basically, a terribly stupid person. I don't think
she meant any harm -- she's just dumb. REALLY dumb.

Carolina Reb

On Feb 24, 7:22 am, Neil H. <neilisnoth...@not-home-today.org> wrote:
> Fonda is, basically, a terribly stupid person. I don't think
> she meant any harm -- she's just dumb. REALLY dumb.

Yeah, I like most of her movies, especially her first one, "Walk
On The Wild Side" with Lawrence Harvy. However, as you
said, when it comes to the political, she is just another dumb
broad.

Michael Ejercito

On Feb 23, 11:01 pm, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Feb 23, 12:34 pm, "Walt Hampton" <walt.hamp...@att.net> wrote:
>
> > Ted Turner was transformed from a staunch conservative into a
> > bleeding-heart liberal by none other than one-time wife Jane
> > Fonda, according to the media mogul’s outspoken son.
> > But in 1991, when the senior Turner wed the Oscar-winning
> > actress and exercise guru — once labeled “Hanoi Jane’’ for
> > her controversial support of the North Vietnamese — things
> > changed dramatically.
>
> >http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/teddy-turner-jane-fonda/20......
>
> > Still, Fonda had to stomach certain customs that were tough
> > on her liberal hide, according to Turner, who is now running
> > as a conservative for Congress in South Carolina.
>
> > *
>
> fonda's a great actress, but she should hang her head in shame for
> supporting the regime of north vietnam during the war.  a slap in the
> face of the guys that were maimed/died over there.
Here is the truth about thwe Vietnam War.

http://groups.google.com/group/talk.politics.misc/msg/b5ce56...

" And,
the US was defending the Republic of Vietnam from an invasion.
Whatever the US administrations and military leaders did wrong,
THAT was not one of them.

Let's put things in their proper context, for starters. You're
talking about an authoritarian communist regime which, during the
1950s, was murdering many tens of thousands of North Vietnamese
civilians, stealing the property of everyone else, and using terror
tactics to subject the whole population of North Vietnam to a total
destruction of rational social order. None of the usual excuses
from historical revisionsists like you apply here: this wasn't self
defense because the French were gone; the US was not in North
Vietnam during that decade.

This was not a spontaneous uprising or well-intentioned attempt to
make a "better society". Ho Chi Minh founded the Indochinese
Communist Party in 1930 (in exile in China). Before that, he was
trained by the Soviets while in the USSR. These murderous thugs
planned to conquer and enslave their own countrymen before moving
on to their neighbors. They did both. Thirty years later, the
people in Vietnam are STILL oppressed by their government and
living in a failed economy, ruined by the denial of their freedom."

The Revd

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 09:18:08 -0800 (PST), Michael Ejercito
<mejercit@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 23, 11:01?pm, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> On Feb 23, 12:34?pm, "Walt Hampton" <walt.hamp...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Ted Turner was transformed from a staunch conservative into a
>> > bleeding-heart liberal by none other than one-time wife Jane
>> > Fonda, according to the media mogul?s outspoken son.
>> > But in 1991, when the senior Turner wed the Oscar-winning
>> > actress and exercise guru ? once labeled ?Hanoi Jane?? for
>> > her controversial support of the North Vietnamese ? things
>> > changed dramatically.
>>
>> >http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/teddy-turner-jane-fonda/20......
>>
>> > Still, Fonda had to stomach certain customs that were tough
>> > on her liberal hide, according to Turner, who is now running
>> > as a conservative for Congress in South Carolina.
>>
>> > *
>>
>> fonda's a great actress, but she should hang her head in shame for
>> supporting the regime of north vietnam during the war. ?a slap in the
>> face of the guys that were maimed/died over there.
> Here is the truth about thwe [sic] Vietnam War.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/talk.politics.misc/msg/b5ce56...

Which jew rectum did you suck that one out of, Viet Cong Charlie?

Carolina Reb

"The Revd" wrote in message

>Which jew rectum did you suck
>that one out of, Viet Cong Charlie?

Haw! Haw! Haw! That was a GOOD one!!!

The Peeler

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 13:25:23 -0500, "All Bark & No Bite", aka Humpin
Humpton, aka Caroloony Reb, the subnormal moron and attested schizo from
the States, wrote:

> "The Revd" wrote in message
>
>>Which jew rectum did you suck
>>that one out of, Viet Cong Charlie?
>
> Haw! Haw! Haw! That was a GOOD one!!!

Someone bring along a bucket of cold water again! LOL

--
someone-who-knows about our resident schizo:
"And once again, the impotent, inferior, senile moron