SQL Server 2005 connection problems in XP

Ana Lopez

2/21/2007 11:05:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I have been looking all over to see if I can get my problem resolved and
alas, I have not been successful. Could someone help?

I am trying to connect to a database in XP that resides on a SQL Server
2005. I downloaded and installed the Ruby-One-Time-Installer, so that
gives me the odbc package.

The question is, how do I specify the datasource address if the database
is residing on a server not on my local machine?

Here is a snip of my code:

require 'DBI'

conn =
DBI.connect('DBI:ODBC:fooServer\fooDevServer\Databases\db',username,password)

Is this correct? I have changed to forward slashes, to colons, but to no
avail. I keep getting the following error:

C:/INSTAN~1/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in
`connect': IM002 (0) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name
not found and no default driver specified (DBI::DatabaseError)
from C:/INSTAN~1/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi/dbi.rb:584:in
`connect'
from C:/INSTAN~1/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi/dbi.rb:384:in
`connect'
from Database_test.rb:18

Can someone let me know what I am missing?

Thanks,

Ana

Sam Smoot

On Feb 21, 5:05 pm, Ana Lopez <ana_gissell_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been looking all over to see if I can get my problem resolved and
> alas, I have not been successful. Could someone help?
>
> I am trying to connect to a database in XP that resides on a SQL Server
> 2005. I downloaded and installed the Ruby-One-Time-Installer, so that
> gives me the odbc package.
>
> The question is, how do I specify the datasource address if the database
> is residing on a server not on my local machine?
>
> Here is a snip of my code:
>
> require 'DBI'
>
> conn =
> DBI.connect('DBI:ODBC:fooServer\fooDevServer\Databases\db',username,passwor d)
>
> Is this correct? I have changed to forward slashes, to colons, but to no
> avail. I keep getting the following error:
>
> C:/INSTAN~1/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in
> `connect': IM002 (0) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name
> not found and no default driver specified (DBI::DatabaseError)
> from C:/INSTAN~1/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi/dbi.rb:584:in
> `connect'
> from C:/INSTAN~1/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi/dbi.rb:384:in
> `connect'
> from Database_test.rb:18
>
> Can someone let me know what I am missing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ana

So this "server" is a SQLExpress database file? You probably need an
ODBC style connection string. This is my favest site in the world for
connection strings: http://connectionstrings.com/?carrier... I
don't even bother to remember 'em anymore. :)

Ana Lopez

Sam Smoot wrote:
> On Feb 21, 5:05 pm, Ana Lopez <ana_gissell_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> is residing on a server not on my local machine?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ana
>>
>> --
>
> So this "server" is a SQLExpress database file? You probably need an
> ODBC style connection string. This is my favest site in the world for
> connection strings: http://connectionstrings.com/?carrier... I
> don't even bother to remember 'em anymore. :)

Hello,

Great! This certainly helped!

Ana

Ana Lopez

Ana Lopez wrote:
> Sam Smoot wrote:
>> On Feb 21, 5:05 pm, Ana Lopez <ana_gissell_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> is residing on a server not on my local machine?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Ana
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> So this "server" is a SQLExpress database file? You probably need an
>> ODBC style connection string. This is my favest site in the world for
>> connection strings: http://connectionstrings.com/?carrier... I
>> don't even bother to remember 'em anymore. :)

As an added note, an ODBC connection needs to be created in Windows,
seperate from your Ruby script. You can create an ODBC connection by
going to the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->ODBC Data Source->User
DSN->Add

This is what I really needed to figure out. Now I just use the name that
I gave to my newly created datasource into my code and it works. Here is
an example:

Data source was created with the name "fooDB"

require 'DBI'

conn =
DBI.connect('DBI:ODBC:fooDB',username,password)