Re: irb completion fails on Intel Mac with ruby-1.8.5

Ben Bleything

2/20/2007 5:02:00 PM

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007, Jim Freeze wrote:
> Well, this has never happened to me before.
> I have built ruby-1.8.5 with every possible combination
> for readline (apple's readline and gnu readline) and none
> have worked.

I suspect something is hosed in your macports directory. I've been
using the macports ruby on intel since the intel procs came out and it
works fine.

Try uninstalling ruby, readline, and all peripheral things, doing a
clean, and rebuilding them. My guess is there are some cached build
files laying around that are breaking your builds.

Ben

1 Answer

Giles Bowkett

I second this. I've got tab completion in my irb with Ruby 1.8.5 no
problem. And a ton of other silliness, too, I really pimped out my irb
for no reason. If you've been using ports from the beginning
everything ports has installed will be in /opt/local, generally
speaking, so you can just throw that dir in the trash and start it
over again. I've heard readline is quirky but when I did the port
install it went OK for me. Anyway, wish I could be more helpful, but
what you're trying to do is definitely possible, it's just something
probably went wrong in your ports dir like Ben's saying.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesg...