Re: Oppinions on RCR for dup on immutable classes

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Oppinions on RCR for dup on immutable classes"
on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 01:37:19 +0900, Stefan Rusterholz <apeiros@gmx.net> writes:

|Um, no, with the classes mentioned in the RCR the answer would be
|"never", not just "today". You'd have to buy the Restaurant and exchange
|to cook to change the answer :)

If we see a class as a restaurant, your illustration makes sense. But
from my point of view, we don't know the name of the restaurant, nor
its menu. We just sit and cry for "Spaghetti!", and sometimes the
waiter says "I'm sorry".

matz.

3 Answers

Gregory Brown

On 2/17/07, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:

> If we see a class as a restaurant, your illustration makes sense. But
> from my point of view, we don't know the name of the restaurant, nor
> its menu. We just sit and cry for "Spaghetti!", and sometimes the
> waiter says "I'm sorry".

But they never do seem to run out of chunky bacon.

Stefan Rusterholz

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Oppinions on RCR for dup on immutable classes"
> on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 01:37:19 +0900, Stefan Rusterholz
> <apeiros@gmx.net> writes:
>
> |Um, no, with the classes mentioned in the RCR the answer would be
> |"never", not just "today". You'd have to buy the Restaurant and exchange
> |to cook to change the answer :)
>
> If we see a class as a restaurant, your illustration makes sense. But
> from my point of view, we don't know the name of the restaurant, nor
> its menu. We just sit and cry for "Spaghetti!", and sometimes the
> waiter says "I'm sorry".
>
> matz.

The example translates to:
Restaurant := Class
Menucard := #methods
Say "we don't serve that" := raised Exception

If it changes from time to time I agree with you. But if it is "never",
the restaurant shouldn't put the menu on the card in the first time - in
my oppinion :)

My regards

dblack