Re: Oppinions on RCR for dup on immutable classes

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Oppinions on RCR for dup on immutable classes"
on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:54:42 +0900, Stefan Rusterholz <apeiros@gmx.net> writes:

|Hm, we probably have a different understanding of DuckTyping then.

Perhaps.

|> We haven't implemented a method that can't be executed. Object#dup
|> just fails if the object is not able to be duped. Am I missing
|> something?

|I'll try to explain it differently, depict my issue. Say you go to a
|restaurant, take a look at the card and see "Spagetthi". You order
|Spagetthi but the waiter just tells you "Oh, we don't serve Spagetthi
|here.". You'd naturally ask "Why put it on the card then if you don't
|serve it at all?"

I imagine the waiter telling you "Oh, we don't serve Spaghetti
_today_".

matz.

14 Answers

Stefan Rusterholz

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> |I'll try to explain it differently, depict my issue. Say you go to a
> |restaurant, take a look at the card and see "Spagetthi". You order
> |Spagetthi but the waiter just tells you "Oh, we don't serve Spagetthi
> |here.". You'd naturally ask "Why put it on the card then if you don't
> |serve it at all?"
>
> I imagine the waiter telling you "Oh, we don't serve Spaghetti
> _today_".
>
> matz.

Um, no, with the classes mentioned in the RCR the answer would be
"never", not just "today". You'd have to buy the Restaurant and exchange
to cook to change the answer :)

My regards

Ara.T.Howard

Dontaitchicago

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:03:41 PM UTC-6, David Fox wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Two of the most famous violinists of the last century were born on Feb.
>
> > 2, 26 years apart. Kreisler (1875) and Heifetz (1901). My appreciation
>
> > and admiration for the art of violin playing were shaped by these two
>
> > musicians (in totally different ways)
>
> > I grew up during the the days that Heifetz reigned supreme in the violin
>
> > world, and for good reason. The technique, the overall virtuosity, the
>
> > absolute (almost) perfect intonation. Nowadays we have quite a few
>
> > violinists who can match Heifetz's accuracy but there is a certain élan
>
> > and fire to his playing that cannot be duplicated. All of this made a
>
> > great impression on me during my teens......
>
> > In my home we had Kreisler's later recording of the Mendelssohn concerto
>
> > (78s) which made little positive impact on me. Obvious slips and
>
> > intonation problems and none of the virtuosity and excitement of Heifetz's playing........
>
> > Then the shocking surprise of my musical life. In the CCNY music library
>
> > was an album of the Grieg C minor sonata with Rachmaninoff. I was
>
> > intensely curious to hear R.'s playing....... there was very little of it
>
> > on the radio and every so often they would play some Kreisler, mostly
>
> > short pieces, a concerto here and there which I basically ignored.
>
> > As soon as I heard the first few phrases from the violin, I was stunned..
>
> > I had never heard anything like that before. All the previous Kreisler
>
> > recordings that I had heard were made in his 60s (he was already past his
>
> > prime by then). The tone, the incredible variable vibrato, the phrasing,
>
> > the various slides, how he tapered his notes, how no matter how softly he
>
> > played he maintained a full sound, the tension of the muscial line,etc..
>
> > All this for me was a miracle. I quickly realized that Heifetz, my former
>
> > hero was a musical midget compared to Kreisler. The slow movt of the
>
> > sonata was overwhelming in its beauty. I came home and made up my mind
>
> > that I was going to find more of these recordings....
>
> > I spent the next number years rummaging through bins of old 78s in one
>
> > particular bookstore in downtown Manhattan and other locations and by the
>
> > time I was through I had an almost complete collection of his 78s, some
>
> > dating back to 1908.
>
> > I hope some RMCR members will go to youtube and share the pleasures of
>
> > discovery like I did way back......... the Grieg sonata is there plus
>
> > many other recordings.
>

> > AB
>

> Agreed.
>

> Anything by Kreisler prior to 1930 is unconditionally wonderful. After that
>
> date there are more trade offs involved. I recommend the BMG box of his
>
> complete Victor recordings, along with the various Biddulph/Pearl/Naxos
>
> issues of his 1920s recordings. Every once on a while - usually on Sunday
>
> mornings - I put the Victor collection on shuffle play. Amazing to realize
>
> many of these recordings are 100+ years old, yet still they communicate.

Due to illness and enforced absence, this is a tardy response to the original and David Fox's posts. I could not agree more strongly about all said there about Fritz Kreisler's playing as it is preserved on records. As a violinist friend said to me years ago, "Kreisler was unique." Like most of us, he only knew Kreisler from records; and certainly like almost everyone, he never heard Kreisler live before 1930 -- which on recordings, I agree, as David wrote, preserves Kreisler playing better than on his recordings that followed. There were a number of reasons for the decline in his playing, including age and (surely) the effects of his being run down by a car in Manhattan.

As only two examples for now, I would cite first Kreisler's circa 1914 acoustical recording of his arrangement of what is called on the record label "Austrian Imperial Hymn" (Haydn's melody also used as the German anthem). Kreisler's playing and his violin sound are stunning. So -- even more so -- is his playing of the first movement cadenza of Beethoven's Concerto in the 1926 Berlin recording conducted his Leo Blech. Like virtually all published 78s, these were single takes, done straight through with no way to edit them; and the beauty of Kreisler's playing, plus -- much, much more -- its projected emotional feeling and communicative power make it, as my friend said, unique.

As Arri wrote in another post, Kreisler's recordings with Rachmaninoff show what a great violinist and, above all, great musician and HUMAN BEING Fritz Kreisler was. And as David wrote, Kreisler's recordings from 1930 and before show it.

Finally: when Kreisler officially retired in 1950 (he might then have been 74 or 75), there was a huge affair in New York City in his honor. Many, many people attended ,and some spoke. Including Bruno Walter. His speech was issued on two 10" 78s. I own them. Among his other words, Walter says of Kreisler "for Fritz Kreisler, making music is like what swimming is for the fishes and flying is for the birds." In other words, nature pure and simple.. The 1930 and before recordings show that.

And, in case it needs to be said, no one could have made Bruno Walter show up for the Kreisler tribute affair and verbally salute him as he did if he hadn't wanted to. Or know how great a musician and violinist Kreisler was.

Don Tait

Rugby

>On Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:22:54 PM UTC-6, Dontait...@aol.com wrote:
> Due to illness and enforced absence

Hope your post indicates you are recovering. If you are still in the Chicago area,you know it has been a miserable,cold,snowy Winter.Let alone if ill ! Tonight minus 13F. in Iowa ( minus 25C.), then Monday night minus 18F.( minus 28 C. ).Of course,as they say at WGN, "...warmer near the Lake."

Frank Berger

> As Arri wrote in another post, Kreisler's recordings with
> Rachmaninoff show what a great violinist and, above all, great
> musician and HUMAN BEING Fritz Kreisler was.

Do you really think you can tell what kind of a human being a musician
is by his musical performances?

In article <be9d60fc-3c03-4b95-8f45-d38b3edc0ac6@googlegroups.com>,
<"Dontaitchicago@aol.com"> wrote:

> Due to illness and enforced absence,

Glad to have you back, Don. Good to see you posting again. Hope
you're doing better.

-Owen

ivanmaxim

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:47:17 PM UTC-5, O wrote:
> In article <be9d60fc-3c03-4b95-8f45-d38b3edc0ac6@googlegroups.com>,
>
> <"Dontaitchicago@aol.com"> wrote:
>

> > Due to illness and enforced absence,
>

> Glad to have you back, Don. Good to see you posting again. Hope
>
> you're doing better.
>

> -Owen

Seconded - hope you are feeling better and on the mend

David Fox

Willem Orange <ivanmaxim1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:47:17 PM UTC-5, O wrote:
>> In article <be9d60fc-3c03-4b95-8f45-d38b3edc0ac6@googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> <"Dontaitchicago@aol.com"> wrote:
>>

>>> Due to illness and enforced absence,
>>

>> Glad to have you back, Don. Good to see you posting again. Hope
>>
>> you're doing better.
>>

>> -Owen
>
> Seconded - hope you are feeling better and on the mend

Thirded! Glad you're feeling better, Don.

DF

Frank Berger

On 2/10/2014 11:47 AM, David Fox wrote:
> Willem Orange <ivanmaxim1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:47:17 PM UTC-5, O wrote:

>>> Glad to have you back, Don. Good to see you posting again. Hope
>>>
>>> you're doing better.
>>>

>>> -Owen
>>
>> Seconded - hope you are feeling better and on the mend
>
> Thirded! Glad you're feeling better, Don.
>
> DF

I too am glad for Don't return to health, but I'm still waiting to learn
from him how you can tell from a musical performance the quality of a
person's humanity. I guess Don can listen to Wagner and tell he was,
um, not such a good person. Or maybe you can't tell from composing,
only from playing. Once I learn the technique, I look forward to
applying it in everyday life. Whenever I meet a new person, I will ask
them to sing or play an instrument, so that I don't have to use my own
judgement any more. I can't wait.

Dontaitchicago

On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:47:25 AM UTC-6, David Fox wrote:
> Willem Orange <ivanmaxim1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:47:17 PM UTC-5, O wrote:

> >> Glad to have you back, Don. Good to see you posting again. Hope
>

> >> you're doing better.
>

> >> -Owen
>

> > Seconded - hope you are feeling better and on the mend
>

> Thirded! Glad you're feeling better, Don.
>

> DF

Owen, Willem, and David -- many thanks for your good wishes.

Don T.