Gotham Ruby Conference Update and CFP Reminder

Gregory Brown

2/17/2007 3:08:00 PM

Hi folks, I'm forwarding from the NYC.rb mailing list on behalf of the
GoRuCo organizers

===========
Hi there, some reminders on our regional Ruby conference in April:

1. There are less than two weeks left to submit your proposal.

We are reserving three spots for speakers from New York, New Jersey
and New Haven -- that means most of you. So if you're thinking of
submitting a proposal, please do give it a shot: We've stacked the
odds in your favor. And speakers at GoRuCo get free admission and a
$100 honorarium to boot.

http://www.goruco.com/articles/2007/01/31/call-for-pres...

2. We'll be opening registrations next Tuesday evening.

We haven't decided exactly what time that will be, but it will be
sometime this Tuesday evening. We have no way of knowing what the
demand will be, but keeping in mind that there are 120 seats at this
conference, it probably wouldn't hurt to get your tickets as soon as
possible.

Thanks,

Francis Hwang
http://f...

3 Answers

Alan Cooper

aaronsama@gmail.com wrote in

>> Small spelling mistake.
>
>> Freire, not Friere.
>
> Thank you. I suppose that means I've been pronouncing it incorrectly
> as well... I had assumed it was a French name, and gone with "Freer"
> but it looks like he is Brazilian, so... "Fray-ra"?

The /ei/ combination is not a diphthong, but two distinct vowels. Thus,
fre-EE-ra. Similarly in Spanish, it's not ValparEYEso for Valparaiso, but
Valpara-EE-so. They tend to come out sounding like diphthongs when
promounced quickly, however.

AC

aaronsama

> The /ei/ combination is not a diphthong, but two distinct vowels. Thus,
> fre-EE-ra. Similarly in Spanish, it's not ValparEYEso for Valparaiso, but
> Valpara-EE-so. They tend to come out sounding like diphthongs when
promounced quickly, however.

> AC

Thank you. Yes, in Portuguese the precise pronunciation would be "freh-EE-reh" (continental) or "freh-EE-ree" (Brazilian). Although Portuguese speakers (particularly Brazilian) tend to slur consecutive vowels more so than Spanish, so it wouldn't be as distinct as the Valparaiso example, where the "I" would be clearly heard as a separate syllable... "FRAY-reh" or "FRAY-ree" is closer to what it would sound like to a native English speaker.

-P

Rugby

>On Sunday, February 2, 2014 11:09:48 PM UTC-6, aaro...@gmail.com wrote:
>"FRAY-reh" or "FRAY-ree" is closer to what it would sound like to a native >English speaker.

Many thanks. I regard his playing highly and have always worried a bit about mispronouncing his name.