Ruby on Mac OS 9

Matthias Tarasiewicz

2/17/2007 11:48:00 AM

Hello List,
i am trying to find out if there is a Ruby Binary for Mac OS 9 or if
there is any chance to run Ruby 1.8.4 or 1.8.5 on OS9.

I found a hint on the support for os9 being in the sources
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...

there seems to be a PPC port for ruby 1.4
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...

anyone knows if there is a chance to get Ruby 1.8.4+ running on OS9?

thanks,
Matthias Tarasiewicz

--
get instiki! http://i...

Austin Ziegler

On 2/17/07, Matthias Tarasiewicz <parasew@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
> i am trying to find out if there is a Ruby Binary for Mac OS 9 or if
> there is any chance to run Ruby 1.8.4 or 1.8.5 on OS9.
>
> I found a hint on the support for os9 being in the sources
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...
>
> there seems to be a PPC port for ruby 1.4
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...
>
> anyone knows if there is a chance to get Ruby 1.8.4+ running on OS9?

I would suspect the chances are very small.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Matthias Tarasiewicz

Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On 2/17/07, Matthias Tarasiewicz <parasew@gmail.com> wrote:
>> anyone knows if there is a chance to get Ruby 1.8.4+ running on OS9?
> I would suspect the chances are very small.
>
> -austin

looks like it's possible in general, just a lot of work:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/Carbon-dev/2007/Feb/msg...
http://lists.apple.com/archives/student-dev/2007/Feb/msg...

just trying to support the outsiders.
remember that ruby was also non-mainstream some time ago. :)