Re: Getting my sister to learn programming

Suraj Kurapati

2/13/2007 8:15:00 PM

SonOfLilit wrote:
> I've just come back from a trip home* and was surprised to find my
> sister very enthusiastic about programming and wanting to continue our lessons.
>
> I'm confused over my head with the dilemma of what to teach her next:

How about Loro?

http://loro.sourceforge.ne...

Loro is an open system intended to help beginners learn programming. It
uses its own programming language and includes an integrated development
environment system focused on first-year students. The language features
a "specify, then implement" methodology; you have to specify a task
before writing any implementation (algorithm). Specification is an
explict, compilable construction to make a contract between suppliers
and clients, and can be implemented in either Loro or Java (via
BeanShell). The IDE features support for test-driven developing, syntax
highlighting, and automatic HTML documentation generation and
visualization.

The Loro Programming System has been designed from the grounds up under
the following principles: 1) "program to an interface, not an
implementation" (GoF, 1995); 2) Design by Contract; and 3) Test driven
development.

Martin DeMello

On 2/15/07, Mushfeq Khan <mushfeq.khan@gmail.com> wrote:
> You should teach her Javascript. I'm serious.
>
> You get an IDE that she's probably already comfortable with, and the
> immediacy of getting cool things to show up in webpages. It's not a very
> conventional introduction to programming I know, but that's all the more
> reason to try it!

javascript itself is a beautiful language, but trying to do anything
real with it will involve messing with the browser DOM, which I'd
strongly derecommend.

martin