getting warning messages about gem obsolete

Rae

2/10/2007 9:07:00 PM

I uninstalled my old ruby (v 1.8521 I think it was), and installed
1.8522 (windows installer).
When the interactive Ruby console comes up it states:

C:0:Warning: require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
C:0:Warning: require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
C:0:Warning: require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.

It states this three times like above. Is there something I need to
do ?

Rae

2 Answers

Tim Hunter

Rae wrote:
> I uninstalled my old ruby (v 1.8521 I think it was), and installed
> 1.8522 (windows installer).
> When the interactive Ruby console comes up it states:
>
> C:0:Warning: require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
> C:0:Warning: require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
> C:0:Warning: require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
>
> It states this three times like above. Is there something I need to
> do ?
>
> Rae

Do you have an .irbrc file? Does it use "require_gem"? If so, edit the
file and change all the "require_gem" method calls to plain old
"require". (Unless you were using "require_gem" for it's actual purpose
of requiring a specific version of a gem, instead of using it as a
synonym for "require", which is what it was used for most of the time.)

Rae

On Feb 10, 5:14 pm, Timothy Hunter <TimHun...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Rae wrote:
> > I uninstalled my old ruby (v 1.8521 I think it was), and installed
> > 1.8522 (windows installer).
> > When the interactive Ruby console comes up it states:
>
> > C:0:Warning: require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
> > C:0:Warning: require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
> > C:0:Warning: require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
>
> > It states this three times like above. Is there something I need to
> > do ?
>
> > Rae
>
> Do you have an .irbrc file? Does it use "require_gem"? If so, edit the
> file and change all the "require_gem" method calls to plain old
> "require". (Unless you were using "require_gem" for it's actual purpose
> of requiring a specific version of a gem, instead of using it as a
> synonym for "require", which is what it was used for most of the time.)- Hide quoted text -

I just did a search on my computer and I didn't find any .irbrc files.