drb object client - call and continue?

andy

Ara.T.Howard

greg lee

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:44:33 AM UTC-10, Willem Orange wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:13:12 AM UTC-5, music...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:33:45 PM UTC-10, Willem Orange wrote:
>

> > > Listening to the broadcast this evening - I know this work was discussed recently and some here have serious reservations some of which I get (e..g. there is some musical "padding' in the third Act ). But I love the work - I think the libretto witty and wise, most of the music gorgeous and the character of the Marschallin one of opera's great creations. Fortunately the famous Salzburg Czinner film has been beautifully transferred via blu ray to present some iconic portrayals - I don't like Schwarzkopf in everything but she just inhabits the Marschallin in a way I haven't gotten from any other singer...
>

> > Do you know that she was not the first choice for that role in that film?
>

> No who was it???

http://www.cantabile-subito.de/Sopranos/Della_Casa__Lisa/dellacasamarsch...

ivanmaxim

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:31:00 PM UTC-5, music...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:44:33 AM UTC-10, Willem Orange wrote:

> > > Do you know that she was not the first choice for that role in that film?
>

> > No who was it???
>

> http://www.cantabile-subito.de/Sopranos/Della_Casa__Lisa/dellacasamarsch...

Ah that's the singer who came to mind - but I never heard that story.

greg lee

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:32:01 AM UTC-10, Willem Orange wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:31:00 PM UTC-5, music...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > No who was it???
>

> > http://www.cantabile-subito.de/Sopranos/Della_Casa__Lisa/dellacasamarsch...
>

> Ah that's the singer who came to mind - but I never heard that story.

According to Wikipedia:

- On 26 July 1960, the newly built Salzburg Festspielhaus opened with a performance of Der Rosenkavalier under Herbert von Karajan. She sang the part of the Marschallin in this performance with Sena Jurinac as Octavian and Hilde Gueden as Sophie. Originally, Karajan and film director Paul Czinner planned to make a film of the performance; they asked Della Casa to sing the part of the Marschallin in the film too and she gladly accepted. But due to Walter Legge, well-known recording producer of EMI and husband of Dame Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Della Casa was replaced by Schwarzkopf for the film. Shocked with being betrayed by this last-minute decision, although she sang the scheduled performances of the season (the Marschallin and Countess Almaviva in The Marriage of Figaro, Della Casa decided never to sing there again.. When asked several times subsequently to do so, she declined, replying: "No, sir, for me, Salzburg is dead." (“No, sir, Salzburg für mich ist gestorben.")[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_...

greg lee

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:18:38 AM UTC-10, music...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:32:01 AM UTC-10, Willem Orange wrote:

> > > http://www.cantabile-subito.de/Sopranos/Della_Casa__Lisa/dellacasamarsch...
>

> > Ah that's the singer who came to mind - but I never heard that story.
>

> According to Wikipedia:
>

> - On 26 July 1960, the newly built Salzburg Festspielhaus opened with a performance of Der Rosenkavalier under Herbert von Karajan. She sang the part of the Marschallin in this performance with Sena Jurinac as Octavian and Hilde Gueden as Sophie. Originally, Karajan and film director Paul Czinner planned to make a film of the performance; they asked Della Casa to sing the part of the Marschallin in the film too and she gladly accepted. But due to Walter Legge, well-known recording producer of EMI and husband of Dame Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Della Casa was replaced by Schwarzkopf for the film. Shocked with being betrayed by this last-minute decision, although she sang the scheduled performances of the season (the Marschallin and Countess Almaviva in The Marriage of Figaro, Della Casa decided never to sing there again. When asked several times subsequently to do so, she declined, replying: "No, sir, for me, Salzburg is dead." (“No, sir, Salzburg für mich ist gestorben.")[3]
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_...

When she died a year ago, Salzburg flew a black flag for her:

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2012/12/just-in-salzburg-flies-black-flag-for-lamented-s...

greg lee

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:18:38 AM UTC-10, music...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:32:01 AM UTC-10, Willem Orange wrote:

> > > http://www.cantabile-subito.de/Sopranos/Della_Casa__Lisa/dellacasamarsch...
>

> > Ah that's the singer who came to mind - but I never heard that story.
>

> According to Wikipedia:
>

> - On 26 July 1960, the newly built Salzburg Festspielhaus opened with a performance of Der Rosenkavalier under Herbert von Karajan. She sang the part of the Marschallin in this performance with Sena Jurinac as Octavian and Hilde Gueden as Sophie. Originally, Karajan and film director Paul Czinner planned to make a film of the performance; they asked Della Casa to sing the part of the Marschallin in the film too and she gladly accepted. But due to Walter Legge, well-known recording producer of EMI and husband of Dame Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Della Casa was replaced by Schwarzkopf for the film. Shocked with being betrayed by this last-minute decision, although she sang the scheduled performances of the season (the Marschallin and Countess Almaviva in The Marriage of Figaro, Della Casa decided never to sing there again. When asked several times subsequently to do so, she declined, replying: "No, sir, for me, Salzburg is dead." (“No, sir, Salzburg für mich ist gestorben.")[3]
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_...

Over half-a-century since her last performance at Salzburg, the officials there remembered her when she died a year ago:

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:30:30 PM UTC-5, music...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:18:38 AM UTC-10, music...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Ah that's the singer who came to mind - but I never heard that story.
>

> > According to Wikipedia:
>

> > - On 26 July 1960, the newly built Salzburg Festspielhaus opened with a performance of Der Rosenkavalier under Herbert von Karajan. She sang the part of the Marschallin in this performance with Sena Jurinac as Octavian and Hilde Gueden as Sophie. Originally, Karajan and film director Paul Czinner planned to make a film of the performance; they asked Della Casa to sing the part of the Marschallin in the film too and she gladly accepted. But due to Walter Legge, well-known recording producer of EMI and husband of Dame Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Della Casa was replaced by Schwarzkopf for the film.. Shocked with being betrayed by this last-minute decision, although she sang the scheduled performances of the season (the Marschallin and Countess Almaviva in The Marriage of Figaro, Della Casa decided never to sing there again. When asked several times subsequently to do so, she declined, replying: "No, sir, for me, Salzburg is dead." (“No, sir, Salzburg für mich ist gestorben.")[3]
>

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_...
>

> Over half-a-century since her last performance at Salzburg, the officials there remembered her when she died a year ago:
>

> http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2012/12/just-in-salzburg-flies-black-flag-for-lamented-s...

Yes I read that - though there may have been some subterfuge involved I am glad that Schwarzkopf's famous portrayal was saved for posterity. For me della Casa will always be Arabella. Fortunately the famous Munich production under Keilberth with her can be seen on video (at least in part I think)

ivanmaxim

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:42:06 PM UTC-5, Willem Orange wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:30:30 PM UTC-5, music...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > According to Wikipedia:

> > > - On 26 July 1960, the newly built Salzburg Festspielhaus opened with a performance of Der Rosenkavalier under Herbert von Karajan. She sang the part of the Marschallin in this performance with Sena Jurinac as Octavian and Hilde Gueden as Sophie. Originally, Karajan and film director Paul Czinner planned to make a film of the performance; they asked Della Casa to sing the part of the Marschallin in the film too and she gladly accepted. But due to Walter Legge, well-known recording producer of EMI and husband of Dame Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Della Casa was replaced by Schwarzkopf for the film. Shocked with being betrayed by this last-minute decision, although she sang the scheduled performances of the season (the Marschallin and Countess Almaviva in The Marriage of Figaro, Della Casa decided never to sing there again. When asked several times subsequently to do so, she declined, replying: "No, sir, for me, Salzburg is dead." (“No, sir, Salzburg für mich ist gestorben.")[3]

> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_...
>

> > Over half-a-century since her last performance at Salzburg, the officials there remembered her when she died a year ago:
>

> > http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2012/12/just-in-salzburg-flies-black-flag-for-lamented-s...
>

> Yes I read that - though there may have been some subterfuge involved I am glad that Schwarzkopf's famous portrayal was saved for posterity. For me della Casa will always be Arabella. Fortunately the famous Munich production under Keilberth with her can be seen on video (at least in part I think)

Even better the Arabella film with her is complete!!!

greg lee

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:44:49 PM UTC-10, Willem Orange wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:42:06 PM UTC-5, Willem Orange wrote:

> > > Over half-a-century since her last performance at Salzburg, the officials there remembered her when she died a year ago:

> > > http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2012/12/just-in-salzburg-flies-black-flag-for-lamented-s...
>

> > Yes I read that - though there may have been some subterfuge involved I am glad that Schwarzkopf's famous portrayal was saved for posterity. For me della Casa will always be Arabella. Fortunately the famous Munich production under Keilberth with her can be seen on video (at least in part I think)
>

> Even better the Arabella film with her is complete!!!

Weren't all of her ARABELLA's at the Met sung in English?

ivanmaxim

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:29:19 AM UTC-5, music...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:44:49 PM UTC-10, Willem Orange wrote:

> > > Yes I read that - though there may have been some subterfuge involved I am glad that Schwarzkopf's famous portrayal was saved for posterity. For me della Casa will always be Arabella. Fortunately the famous Munich production under Keilberth with her can be seen on video (at least in part I think)
>

> > Even better the Arabella film with her is complete!!!
>

> Weren't all of her ARABELLA's at the Met sung in English?

Yes I believe so