Re: Patterns of semantic contradictions?

Suraj Kurapati

2/8/2007 5:37:00 PM

Robert Dober wrote:
> "abcdefghijklmnop".gsub(/a/,"A")

gsub seems out of place here; it feels like using a flat-headed
screwdriver to turn a star-headed screw. Instead, I would use tr:

"abcdefghijklmnop".tr 'a', 'A'

> "abcda".gsub(/a/,"A")

Same here.

Oscar Williamson

On Sunday, September 8, 2013, Oscar wrote:

> Recycled vinyl or regrind is when virgin vinyl is pressed into a record and for
> some reason that record needs to be destroyed the record is ground up and
> the vinyl is re-used. A 100% recycled record or record made from re-grind
> will have terrible sound quality.

Btw, one of the fun facts I learned on my two visits to RTI was that in the 'good old days' of record-making, the regrind at many American plants included the RECORD LABEL — a hole was not punched before the vinyl was recycled. No wonder why those old US Angel records from the 1970's sounded so marvelous, i.e. it wasn't just the petroleum crisis.