[OT] Linux OS

Daniel Sheppard

2/7/2007 6:20:00 AM

> I was the one who dismissed Gentoo as a server OS. Let me
> point out that
> I have three workstations running Gentoo and it is my distro
> of choice
> for workstations. If you want, I'll hunt down the blog post on why
> Gentoo is not practical as a server OS except under some
> extremely rare
> circumstances. The main point is that it just takes too much
> wall clock
> time to do routine security and stability updates relative to
> Debian and
> Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS.

But again, the OP was after a machine to play around with things, not a
good business production environment - "I'm building a Linux VM inside
of my Windows box so I can experiment with setting up different
ruby/rails situations, configuring apache, trying out nginx, etc."

This isn't a production box, it's a play box... though I just noticed
that he said he's doing this in a VM... Ok, if you're going to be
running things inside a VM, probably spending all the time configuring,
compiling and tuning a gentoo box is not worth it. But if you're after a
play environment, Gentoo is great.

I don't think I'd want to run gentoo as my linux OS if my dollars or job
was on the line - probably less because I couldn't keep it secure and
stable and more that since it's not the 'safe' choice I'd be personally
responsible - but as my personal server and play machine, I wouldn't
dream of using anything else.

Dan.

4 Answers

Mark T

www.h-e-r-e-t-i-x.org by Andrew Walrond (http://www.wa...).

One to watch.

I've had a version running as a VM, late last year.

Looks like he's had time to upgrade his server.

Markt

-hi-

On May 11, 11:47 pm, Irkin Invader Zim <fitnessforyou2...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> On May 10, 2:24 pm, Will Dockery <will.dock...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Speak for yourself. You don't speak for me.
>
> > Damn right I don't.
>
> > I don't speak "Gobble-de-Gook".
>
> No. You speak "Drunken-de-lusional-Idiot."
>
> Hey, how's the pizza business treating you lately?
> Has Pasko gotten out of prison yet?

LOL.

Will Dockery

On May 12, 4:37 pm, cains...@windstream.net wrote:

> Man I hate you.

Yeah, your jelousy has turned to hatred... no surprise.

--
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/son...
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery

cainster

On May 12, 5:10 pm, Will Dockery <will.dock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 12, 4:37 pm, cains...@windstream.net wrote:
>

> > Man I hate you.
>
> Yeah, your jelousy

Anyone who exhibits 'jelousy" [sic] toward you is either insane or a
total moron.

That was a lovely example of being a self-centered, egotistical,
arrogant asshole though. Nice going.

>as turned to hatred... no surprise.

You misunderstand me, Duckery. I don't hate you like, say, the Die
Hard 3 villain hated John McClaine for killing his [villain's]
brother.
I hate you in the sense that you totally fucking suck as a performer
and a human being.
There is a difference.