Re: Linux OS

Daniel Sheppard

2/6/2007 11:55:00 PM

> It depends on what sort of server you're looking at. As you state,
> Ubuntu is a desktop OS, as is Gentoo. That really leaves you with two
> practical options, depending mainly on which package
> management system
> you prefer, RPM/Yum or apt.

Gentoo is not a desktop OS - it's not really geared that way at all -
sure the fact that you can compile everything optimised for your
processor makes for a potentially faster desktop experience, but there's
no real attempt to create a unified desktop experience like you'll find
in ubuntu and most of the commercial offerings.

I personally use gentoo on my server - I like the flexibility that
portage gives to the build process - especially for the transparency of
the update process.

Dan.

1 Answer

Greg Donald

On 2/6/07, Daniel Sheppard <daniels@pronto.com.au> wrote:
> Gentoo is not a desktop OS

Depends on your definition of "desktop OS". Everything is relative, I
mean there are .net programmers who think windoze is a good server OS,
and it just might be from their perspective. Gross generalizations
like the one you made above are good for nothing but flame wars.

> it's not really geared that way at all -

Nope but I have both a Gentoo and a Ubuntu box at my house and the KDE
configurations on both are identical. Just because something isn't,
in your opinion, "geared" toward being a suitable candidate doesn't
mean it can't be used as one.

--
Greg Donald
http://des...