Re: Linux OS

Scott Mathieson

2/6/2007 8:47:00 PM

Luke Ivers wrote:
> I'm building a Linux VM inside of my Windows box so I can experiment with
> setting up different ruby/rails situations, configuring apache, trying
> out
> nginx, etc.
>
> I know this is usually a heated debate, but does anyone have any good
> suggestions on which release of Linux I should be using?
>
> I've used Ubuntu before, but just as a desktop, not in a server-type
> environment.
>
> Other than that, I really don't have much experience with any Linux
> flavors.
>
> Thanks.

I've tried a few different distros inside vmware and have settled with
gentoo - seems to perform a lot better (average RAM use is around 140MB
of the allocated 256MB, with postgresql/myslq/litespeed/mongrel/vim in
process); it's also very stable - no doubt due to the fact it's been
built from source against the 'hardware' provided by vmware. Building
from source is very fast if you aren't building KDE etc :)