Re: tips for active record without rails

R. Mark Volkmann

2/6/2007 7:34:00 PM

On Feb 6, 2007, at 1:05 PM, shawn bright wrote:

> Hello there all,
> i have used rails to build our company website, and i loved it.
> i have a lot of maintenace scripts to run through cron and i would
> really
> dig being able to do it with active record.
>
> Does anyone know of some good helper docs out there or tutorials
> ( or even a
> book ) that would allow me to get the hang of using active record
> without
> rails ?
> or is there a better orm for mysql without being tied to a web
> server ?

I just created some simple documentation on this in the last week.
You can find it at http://www.ociweb.com/mark/ActiveR.... This
page also discusses using ActiveRecord from Java through JRuby.

I'm open to any feedback on this page!

1 Answer

Richard Conroy

On 2/6/07, Mark Volkmann <mark@ociweb.com> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2007, at 1:05 PM, shawn bright wrote:

> > Hello there all,
> > i have used rails to build our company website, and i loved it.
> > i have a lot of maintenace scripts to run through cron and i would
> > really
> > dig being able to do it with active record.

ActiveRecord outside of Rails is stunningly easy, especially when
you already have all of your Rails models written. I always end up
writing tons of ruby scripts that populate my Rails database with
loads of test or demo data.

> I just created some simple documentation on this in the last week.
> You can find it at http://www.ociweb.com/mark/ActiveR.... This
> page also discusses using ActiveRecord from Java through JRuby.

One of the most compelling reasons to use JRuby IMO; getting access
to all of those databases through JDBC that you don't have Ruby adapters
for.