Library (of books, not gems) Management in Ruby

Bira

2/6/2007 6:47:00 PM

Is there a Ruby application for managing collections of books, CD's
and "stuff" in general? I saw something similar written in Java (Data
Crow) but it seemed a bit too heavy for my tastes. Searching for
"library management" in Google gives me a bunch of links to Rubygems
and other package managers, and I don't know what else to call it :).

--
Bira
http://compexplicita.bl...

3 Answers

Richard Conroy

On 2/6/07, Bira <u.alberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a Ruby application for managing collections of books, CD's
> and "stuff" in general? I saw something similar written in Java (Data
> Crow) but it seemed a bit too heavy for my tastes. Searching for
> "library management" in Google gives me a bunch of links to Rubygems
> and other package managers, and I don't know what else to call it :).

Search blog entries on http://www.joelonso...

IIRC he had the same problem to manage his company's book library,
and wanted a program to do it. He was interested in bar code scanner
+ library of congress lookup stuff, and went through a couple of options
(including some commercial ware). I don't know if he found a solution,
but there may be blog comments that could direct your source.

As for specifically in Ruby, I doubt it. At the end of the day, its just a
simple Database, you could get clever by using a web service on the
library of congress, or web scraping their search results.

Oin Maple

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 19:03:05 Richard Conroy wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Bira <u.alberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there a Ruby application for managing collections of books, CD's
> > and "stuff" in general? I saw something similar written in Java (Data
> > Crow) but it seemed a bit too heavy for my tastes. Searching for
> > "library management" in Google gives me a bunch of links to Rubygems
> > and other package managers, and I don't know what else to call it :).

Hello!

If I understand correctly, I think this might be what you're looking for:
http://alexandria.rub...

Is it not?

Richard Conroy

On 2/6/07, Ionut Artarisi <mapleoin@nerdshack.com> wrote:> Hello!>> If I understand correctly, I think this might be what you're looking for:> http://alexandria.rubyforge.n... Is it not?Oddly, your link didn't work:http://rubyforge.org/projects/a...