Re: Gmail spam

Gregory Brown

2/6/2007 6:02:00 PM

On 2/6/07, Luke Ivers <technodolt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gmail, for some reason, seems to be sending a message twice every time I try
> to communicate with the list.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

The archive has a whole bunch of threads on this. It's a known issue.

> Is there any way for me to stop it?

It's something to do with the way RubyTalk / gmail talk to each other.
As far as I know, the only way to fix it in your web interface is to
set up a filter, but that'll remove your message entirely, so it'll be
missing from the conversation.

Sucks. :-/

4 Answers

Bira

On 2/6/07, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's something to do with the way RubyTalk / gmail talk to each other.
> As far as I know, the only way to fix it in your web interface is to
> set up a filter, but that'll remove your message entirely, so it'll be
> missing from the conversation.

It happens because Gmail shows the messages you send (the ones in your
"sent" box) right along with the other messages belonging to the
discussion. So one of the duplicates is your local copy in the "sent"
folder, and the other is the one sent back to you by the list.

--
Bira
http://compexplicita.bl...

Gregory Brown

On 2/6/07, Luke Ivers <technodolt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks all.
>
> Re: the archive containing posts on this... sorry, I should've searched the
> archive first.

No problem, if you get a working filter, please share settings! :)

Bill Kelly

From: "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com>

> On 2/6/07, Luke Ivers <technodolt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks all.
>>
>> Re: the archive containing posts on this... sorry, I should've searched the
>> archive first.
>
> No problem, if you get a working filter, please share settings! :)

Apologies if I've misunderstood the problem, but I thought I
recall from previous discussions about this that the mailing
list software for ruby-talk DOES have the option to refrain
from mailing you a copy of your own message? But that this
option defaults to the send-me-a-copy behavior.

No?

Regards,

Bill

Austin Ziegler

On 2/6/07, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:
> From: "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com>
> > On 2/6/07, Luke Ivers <technodolt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Thanks all.
> >> Re: the archive containing posts on this... sorry, I should've searched the
> >> archive first.
> > No problem, if you get a working filter, please share settings! :)
> Apologies if I've misunderstood the problem, but I thought I
> recall from previous discussions about this that the mailing
> list software for ruby-talk DOES have the option to refrain
> from mailing you a copy of your own message? But that this
> option defaults to the send-me-a-copy behavior.

If it does, I haven't found it. It's not one of the "common" list
server managers, so it doesn't appear to have that. I'd want the
send-me-a-copy anyway, since there's a message number and -- although
they're not appearing as often -- you can still do [ruby-talk:314159].

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/