Re: Linux OS

Peter Booth

2/6/2007 4:36:00 PM

One further consideration - if you are using Windows Virtual server you
should be aware that the MS Linux VM additions assume a particular location
for X windows which means that Debian based distros such as ubuntu can't
take advantage of the faster, higher res, virtual graphics card. Its crazy
and a colossal pain in the a$$.

If I had a Linux physical desktop (which I don't) I'd be very interested to
try out a user mode linux VM, which is esentially just a process that runs
ontop of Linux. I'm using RHEL for practical reasons but I would rather be
using Debian or Ubuntu.

On 2/6/07 11:22 AM, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:

> Luke Ivers wrote:
>> I'm building a Linux VM inside of my Windows box so I can experiment with
>> setting up different ruby/rails situations, configuring apache, trying
>> out
>> nginx, etc.
>>
>> I know this is usually a heated debate, but does anyone have any good
>> suggestions on which release of Linux I should be using?
>>
>> I've used Ubuntu before, but just as a desktop, not in a server-type
>> environment.
>>
>> Other than that, I really don't have much experience with any Linux
>> flavors.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> It depends on what sort of server you're looking at. As you state,
> Ubuntu is a desktop OS, as is Gentoo. That really leaves you with two
> practical options, depending mainly on which package management system
> you prefer, RPM/Yum or apt.
>
> 1. RPM/Yum. There are two sub-options here, Fedora and an RHEL clone
> like CentOS 4.4. Fedora is more bleeding edge, but joined at the hip to
> Red Hat. CentOS 4.4 is more stable, but is a pure community effort,
> getting only source RPMs from Red Hat. If it matters, a lot more
> "professional" servers run with Fedora than with CentOS.
>
> 2. Apt. There are a number of Debian-based distros, but I'd recommend
> either Sarge (Debian stable) or Etch (Debian testing but in pretty good
> shape for servers and "close to stable").
>
> Unless you have strong feelings to the contrary, you'll probably be
> better off with a stable Fedora -- I think the latest is Fedora Core 6,
> but Fedora Core 5 might be in better shape. I don't personally run any
> of the above regularly -- I run Gentoo (mostly workstations) with
> occasional shots at CentOS for testing as close to RHEL as I can get
> without buying something, or Fedora for things like Planet CCRMA, which
> is Fedora Core 5 based. I haven't touched Debian since the Sarge release
> -- I loaded it on an ancient laptop and gave the machine away to a
> friend of mine for a church project. :)

The information contained in and accompanying this communication is strictly confidential and intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not copy the message or disclose its content to anyone.

MarketAxess reserves the right to monitor the content of emails sent to or from its systems.

Any comments or statements made are not necessarily those of MarketAxess. For more information, please visit www.marketaxess.com. MarketAxess Europe Limited is regulated in the UK by the FSA, registered in England no. 4017610, registered office at 71 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 4BS. Telephone (020) 7709 3100.

MarketAxess Corporation is regulated in the USA by the SEC and the NASD, incorporated in Delaware, executive offices at 140 Broadway, New York, NY 10005. Telephone (1) 212 813 6000.