Re: Community involvement

Lyle Johnson

2/6/2007 3:06:00 PM

On 2/6/07, Tech Guy <technodolt@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I want to know is: how do I become part of this core community? Right
> now I feel like I'm sitting on the outside, watching all this amazing
> development going on, and I have no idea how to get involved myself. I'd
> like to become part of a project and lend my time and as-yet meager
> abilities back to the community that's helped me out so much, but I don't
> have any idea where to start at. Should I try to become involved in a
> rubyforge project? Should I just hunt down some random project's Trac and
> start making fixes and submitting them?

I wouldn't say you should hunt down some "random" project to
contribute to, but yeah, if there's a particular Ruby-related project
that really interests you, ask how you can help. If you're a good
writer, ask if you can help write some documentation for the project;
I can almost guarantee with 100% accuracy that the answer to that
question will be "Yes". When you discover a bug, or a potential bug,
in a library, don't just send a terse message to the mailing list
saying "It's broken" -- submit a *good* bug report that tells how to
reproduce the problem, providing sample code whenever possible. (Even
better, submit a patch that fixes the problem).

As the Ruby community has grown over the last year or so, there has
been a large influx of people who are glad to take but not especially
interested in giving back. It's good to hear from someone like you who
doesn't fall into that group.

> Is there a place where people can go to recruit others for their projects?

There's the "Project Openings" (a.k.a. Help Wanted) section at RubyForge,

https://rubyforge.o...

although that's not very widely used.

13 Answers

James Britt

Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Tech Guy <technodolt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What I want to know is: how do I become part of this core community?
>> Right
>> now I feel like I'm sitting on the outside, watching all this amazing
>> development going on, and I have no idea how to get involved myself. I'd
>> like to become part of a project and lend my time and as-yet meager
>> abilities back to the community that's helped me out so much, but I don't
>> have any idea where to start at. Should I try to become involved in a
>> rubyforge project? Should I just hunt down some random project's Trac
>> and
>> start making fixes and submitting them?
>
> I wouldn't say you should hunt down some "random" project to
> contribute to, but yeah, if there's a particular Ruby-related project
> that really interests you, ask how you can help. If you're a good
> writer, ask if you can help write some documentation for the project;
> I can almost guarantee with 100% accuracy that the answer to that
> question will be "Yes". When you discover a bug, or a potential bug,
> in a library, don't just send a terse message to the mailing list
> saying "It's broken" -- submit a *good* bug report that tells how to
> reproduce the problem, providing sample code whenever possible. (Even
> better, submit a patch that fixes the problem).
>
> As the Ruby community has grown over the last year or so, there has
> been a large influx of people who are glad to take but not especially
> interested in giving back. It's good to hear from someone like you who
> doesn't fall into that group.

Another, relatively simple simple, way is to try to keep an eye on
ruby-talk and answer questions.

If we can maintain the spirit of "returning the favor", we'll do well
and keep the community healthy.

--
James Britt

"Every object obscures another object."
- Luis Bunuel

Rugby

>On Sunday, September 1, 2013 10:31:19 AM UTC-5, Herman wrote:
> as if

Yes, " unbuttoned " is not the first adjective that comes to mind when thinking of Brendel's playing ( the man often seems more interesting than his playing ), although I do treasure my lp of him playing "Petroushka", " Pictures" and " Islamey " in the 50's. I believe the first concerto he recorded was the Prokofieff # 5 , not LvB # 5 ! These performances are on cd now.

I must say I find his 70's LvB Op.110 and 111 among the top ; agree ? And was glad to find his high regard for LvB Op.126 Bagatelles, although , as with Schumann's " Kreisleriana" , I have yet to warm to LvB's " Diabelli."

Rugby

>On Sunday, September 1, 2013 12:26:18 PM UTC-5, Bozo wrote:

I also recall a magical live Mozart K.271 Concerto with Brendel and the Boston Symphony, Tennstedt I believe, which I dont think was recorded (? ).

herman

On Sunday, September 1, 2013 7:26:18 PM UTC+2, Bozo wrote:
> >On Sunday, September 1, 2013 10:31:19 AM UTC-5, Herman wrote:
>
> > as if
>

> Yes, " unbuttoned " is not the first adjective that comes to mind when thinking of Brendel's playing

Obviously I wasn't clear, sorry about that.

IMO there is no button problem with Brendel's playing. I like Brendel.

The thing I was scoffing at ("as if") was that people in the audience were supposedly writing down the score blind while the performer was playing.

This presupposes an audience composed of first rate pianists and piano teachers, that frankly should not be your target. It presupposes an elemtnt of control in the listener that in my view is not necessarily helpful.

John Wiser

"Herman" <herstx@yahoo.com> wrote:

[much snippage]

> This presupposes an audience composed of first rate pianists and piano teachers, that frankly
> should not be your target. It presupposes an element of control in the listener that in my view is
> not necessarily helpful.

Understatement of the week

jdw

herman

On Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:04:46 PM UTC+2, John Wiser wrote:

> Understatement of the week
>

> jdw

I'm wondering, too, what Krystian Zimerman would do if he was faced with an audience armed to the teeth with blank stave sheets, ready to take note of (er) every note he's playing.

mandryka

He means, I think, that it should be possible to recreate the printed rhythms from the performance. Some sort of principle about respecting the notated rhythms.

The one that interested me most was what he says about P for piano. Brendel must regret not having chosen the organ, an organ has even more dynamic and colouristic possibilities than a modern piano.

And I was interested that he included the list Weinen Klagen . . . variations as a major Liszt work, I'll have to listen to it again, I've not heard it very much (is it orginally a piano piece or an organ piece?)

Anyway, thanks to Tom posting it.

Rugby

>On Sunday, September 1, 2013 2:37:18 PM UTC-5, Herman wrote:
> I'm wondering, too, what Krystian Zimerman would do if he was faced with an audience armed to the >teeth with blank stave sheets, ready to take note of (er) every note he's playing.

Doesn't he assume that's always the case at HIS recitals ?

td

On Sunday, September 1, 2013 7:00:38 PM UTC-4, Bozo wrote:
> >On Sunday, September 1, 2013 2:37:18 PM UTC-5, Herman wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering, too, what Krystian Zimerman would do if he was faced with an audience armed to the >teeth with blank stave sheets, ready to take note of (er) every note he's playing.
>

> Doesn't he assume that's always the case at HIS recitals ?

This kind of comment is totally gratuitous. Adds nothing to nothing. Just a snide remark which says much more about the poster than it does about Alfred Brendel.

It never fails to amuse me how AB gets some people's back up in this forum. In the concert hall he played to cheering crowds all over the world. Those crowds usually contained a very high percentage of pianists who thought they might just learn a thing or two from him. The benighted twits who kibbitz from the peanut gallery are, of course, imprevious to such a transfer of information.

TD

Lionel Tacchini

On 02.09.2013 19:14, td wrote:
> It never fails to amuse me how AB gets some people's back up in this forum.

The same happens with Boulez. It is the price to pay for saying
something intelligent.

--
Lionel Tacchini
"Ach, Du lieber Augustin, alles ist hin ..."