Re: call to arms: list readers

Peter Szinek

2/5/2007 10:27:00 PM

SonOfLilit wrote:
> From using it a bit, I noticed that search relevancy is very low.
Could you elaborate a bit more please? Low compared by which measure or
compared to what? I am not questioning your claim or nitpicking, just
would like to know your opinion to improve the results, so please try to
describe the problem in a bit more detailed way.

> Most first pages on anything list almost exclusively linux sites.
Which search terms did you use? Could you list a few please?

> Perhaps making sure the word "ruby" is part of every search? Is that at all
> possible with the tool?
Yep, it is possible. However, the point is that there are *only* ruby
sources searched - so if you feel that the result pages you got back are
non-ruby, irrelevant or otherwise wrong, please let us know (by
providing the wrong URLs if possible) so we can fledge out the problem
and improve the sink!

Thanks,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyra...

17 Answers

KalElFan

"Professor Bubba" wrote in message

> When the curse was supposedly broken by Emma, look at what
> *didn't* happen:
>
> Charming didn't get past the Storybrooke town line any more
> than any other townie ever had.

That was right as the curse was being broken and his memories
returning. He also had a head start with his memory a few eps
back, in that session with Hopper/Cricket. So I saw that scene
as Charming/David simply turning the heck around and heading
back.

> While most? all? the people of Storybrooke recovered most?
> all? of their memories, no one seems to have acted on them
> except for the Blue Fairy and Charming.

There was only so much they could show of people waking up
and adjusting to the memories. I think they did establish what
was happening, and the "magic shock wave" was hitting them
all.

> Everybody just sat there like a rock, or (like Snow) wandered
> around town in a daze, perhaps sorting things out.

Right, but then she immediately was out of the daze as Charming
showed up and called her Snow. This would probably be the
pattern for everyone. They initially need the confirmation that
they aren't daydreaming or going nuts, and would be afraid to
talk about it if they didn't have that.

> If the curse had actually been broken, you could reasonably
> expect things to have reverted to the status quo ante, with
> everyone back in their normal lives and settings in the
> fairytale world.

Maybe, and Emma asked that question. The show's answer seems
to clearly be that Gold's Magic Imports Inc. derailed a complete
reversal.

> In sum, I don't think the curse has been broken. Instead, it has
> been changed. Rumpelstiltskin built in a fail-safe.

It's semantics to some extent, but I think the best way to view it
is that the curse Rumpel dealt to the Evil Queen is kaput, but
Storybrooke now has magic and so at least one element of the
original curse remains -- they can't yet return to the fairy tale
world.

> ... Rumpelstiltskin has made himself the most powerful being in
> Storybrooke.

Regina seems happy about the development too. Her alternative,
as the Blue Fairy mentioned, would be to hide. She'd probably
have been imprisoned in Belle's cell. But now she's as or more
skilled than Rumpel when it comes to magic.

If the writers/PTB are uber-stupid, they could have Regina or the
"magic shock wave" wipe out everyone's memory once again in
the season 2 premiere, thereby resetting the show. I think the
ratings would tank and it'd be cancelled before the end of the
season, maybe before year-end. Regina exercising the power
of magic to defend herself, maintain control, keep Gold at bay
and so on will be a good dynamic for the show. They all need
to keep their memories though or I think the show's done.

> There's no reason to assume that those who could wield magic
> in the other realm will now be able to do so in Storybrooke,
> but the possibility cannot be ruled out.

Regina and Rumpel, possibly along with Emma as she develops
more magical ability, will probably have the strongest "powers".
Jefferson will have the hat, Charming his sword, Red may be
able to transform into a wolf when it's a full moon and so on.
Gold can make deals. Basically the fairy tale world dynamic
has been brought to Storybrooke and the mythology plays out.

KalElFan

"Hunter (Hunter)" wrote in message

> Charming didn't work magic in Fairytale land...

He did seem "Charmed" in a way. He defeated the beast after
he took the dead hapless Prince's place. He killed that mermaid
demon in the lake to help reunite Abigail and Frederick. He
fought the guards effectively to escape, and got the dragon to
swallow the jewel-egg and so on. His sword seems to be a
magical object and perhaps it wouldn't work for anyone but
him and Emma.

He and Snow are also the source of the True Love magic that's
being imported into Storybrooke.

> Jiminy Cricket didn't seem magical in Fairytale land so I doubt it
> unless he like Charming chooses to learn it.

I was thinking more of the transformation ability that Cricket, the
Blue Fairy, Pinocchio, Red and others may have.

> One thing for sure I doubt he will turn back into an insect...

Actually I was thinking maybe he'd want to, at least some of the
time.

> (and gold will keep looking normal I think).

Yes, because he's presumably been self aware for the last 28 years
and knows he looks a lot less ugly than Rumpel. :-) Maybe he'll
revert if he gets too power-mad though. That was the dynamic in
the fairly tale world when he refused to revert after Belle's kiss.

Gold's motivation/plan at the end of the episode may have been to
upgrade from the beast Rumpelstiltskin. In Storybrooke he can be
Gold, the owner of the pawn shop. If and when he finds his son
he'd have given up his Dark-based magic, arguably, which is what
his son wanted and what he promised his son. Gold would have
at least "replaced" it with the True Love based magic as opposed
to the "Dark One".

Then there's Belle, where again he probably sees Gold as the
much better persona and Storybrooke the much better venue in
terms of how he thinks she would perceive it. She didn't seem
to like the power madness feel of what he was doing at the end
there, but he'd have a decent case explaining his reasoning. He's
the most interesting character on the show and Carlyle is great.

> Oh and you don't have to worry about OUaT being cancelled. It
> was renewed on May 10th.

Yes I knew that and it was widely presumed it would be, but at
the time they wrote this final ep they wouldn't have known for
sure. The show was down to as low as 8.63 million viewers on
February 12 and hit right around there twice in March. On a
Sunday night, those aren't great numbers though the 18-49
were better. Last night it won the night in 18-49 and improved
in the second half hour, with somewhere around 9.5 million
viewers.

David Johnston

On 5/14/2012 6:55 PM, KalElFan wrote:
> "Professor Bubba" wrote in message
>
>> When the curse was supposedly broken by Emma, look at what *didn't*
>> happen:
>>
>> Charming didn't get past the Storybrooke town line any more
>> than any other townie ever had.
>
> That was right as the curse was being broken and his memories
> returning. He also had a head start with his memory a few eps
> back, in that session with Hopper/Cricket. So I saw that scene
> as Charming/David simply turning the heck around and heading
> back.

Yes, but it means we don't know whether there's still an invisible fence.

>> There's no reason to assume that those who could wield magic
>> in the other realm will now be able to do so in Storybrooke,
>> but the possibility cannot be ruled out.

Oh there's a reason. The Queen started smiling.

KalElFan

"David Johnston" wrote in message news:josbqi$tba$1@dont-email.me...

> On 5/14/2012 6:55 PM, KalElFan wrote:
>
>> "Professor Bubba" wrote in message
>>
>>> When the curse was supposedly broken by Emma, look at what
>>> *didn't* happen:
>>>
>>> Charming didn't get past the Storybrooke town line any more
>>> than any other townie ever had.
>>
>> That was right as the curse was being broken and his memories
>> returning. He also had a head start with his memory a few eps
>> back, in that session with Hopper/Cricket. So I saw that scene
>> as Charming/David simply turning the heck around and heading
>> back.
>
> Yes, but it means we don't know whether there's still an invisible
> fence.

I agree we don't know either way, but that's not evidence the fence
remains or that part of the Curse does. From Gold's point of view,
and wanting to find his son, I think he'd also want the fence gone.

David Johnston

On 5/14/2012 8:01 PM, KalElFan wrote:
> "David Johnston" wrote in message news:josbqi$tba$1@dont-email.me...
>> On 5/14/2012 6:55 PM, KalElFan wrote:
>>
>>> "Professor Bubba" wrote in message

>>> That was right as the curse was being broken and his memories
>>> returning. He also had a head start with his memory a few eps
>>> back, in that session with Hopper/Cricket. So I saw that scene
>>> as Charming/David simply turning the heck around and heading
>>> back.
>>
>> Yes, but it means we don't know whether there's still an invisible
>> fence.
>
> I agree we don't know either way, but that's not evidence the fence
> remains or that part of the Curse does. From Gold's point of view,
> and wanting to find his son, I think he'd also want the fence gone.

That part of his plan may not have come to fruition yet.

Professor Bubba

In article <josbqi$tba$1@dont-email.me>, David Johnston
<David@block.net> wrote:

> On 5/14/2012 6:55 PM, KalElFan wrote:
> > "Professor Bubba" wrote in message
> >
> >> When the curse was supposedly broken by Emma, look at what *didn't*
> >> happen:
> >>
> >> Charming didn't get past the Storybrooke town line any more
> >> than any other townie ever had.
> >
> > That was right as the curse was being broken and his memories
> > returning. He also had a head start with his memory a few eps
> > back, in that session with Hopper/Cricket. So I saw that scene
> > as Charming/David simply turning the heck around and heading
> > back.
>
> Yes, but it means we don't know whether there's still an invisible fence.

They shot it that way on purpose. We're supposed to notice the sign
and that David didn't get past it, or didn't care to go past it. It
may be a clue that the curse is still on.

Note also that David had stopped at the town line, for whatever reason.
The car wasn't moving when the Emmawave hit him.

BTW I hereby donate the trademarkable term "Emmawave" to the public
domain.

> >> There's no reason to assume that those who could wield magic
> >> in the other realm will now be able to do so in Storybrooke,
> >> but the possibility cannot be ruled out.
> >

> Oh there's a reason. The Queen started smiling.

Probably so.

Hunter

On Mon, 14 May 2012 08:14:35 -0400, Professor Bubba
<bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid> wrote:

>In article <4fb0f2d4.3451032@news.optonline.net>, Hunter
><buffhunter@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>> Gold definitely will get his magic. It is the reason he brought magic
>> into our world so he can use it and have power. Regina definitely
>> will. Emma being a being of magic and not normal should if only to
>> stand up against Gold and/or Regina, Charming didn't work magic in
>> Fairytale land so I don't see a reason he will here unless he actively
>> learns how to use it. The Mad Hatter definitely will; Jiminy Cricket
>> didn't seem magical in Fairytale land so I doubt it unless he like
>> Charming chooses to learn it. One thing for sure I doubt he will turn
>> back into an insect (and gold will keep looking normal I think). I do
>> hope Regina goes back to wearing low cut tops instead of business
>> clothing.
>>
>> I do wonder if the magic in our world will be confined to Storybrooke,
>> Maine or will it spread through out the world as you mentioned as a
>> possibility.
>>
>> Good season finale, and it made Emma believe in a, well, believable
>> way. She was desperate and then was "zapped" by the book, instead of
>> being persuaded by a bunch of "nuts."
>

>When the curse was supposedly broken by Emma, look at what *didn't*
>happen:
>
>Charming didn't get past the Storybrooke town line any more than any
>other townie ever had.
------
Charming stopped under his own volition because he remembered, not
because he was prevented by a magic force, so he did an instant 180 to
find Snow. It wasn't as if he hit some barrier-at least not yet.
Still, I do concede the possibility of you being right because it
would be a way to keep most of the Storybrooke denizens from fleeing
to the outside world if they wanted to remain in this world if they
wanted to and live somewhere else. If so and you are right would Mr.
Gold and Regina be bound by that limitation?

>While most? all? the people of Storybrooke recovered most? all? of
>their memories, no one seems to have acted on them except for the Blue
>Fairy and Charming. Everybody just sat there like a rock, or (like
>Snow) wandered around town in a daze, perhaps sorting things out. If
>the curse had actually been broken, you could reasonably expect things
>to have reverted to the status quo ante, with everyone back in their
>normal lives and settings in the fairytale world.
------
Why? There is no need for them to go back and yes they all wondered
around a bit because their memories of who they really are conflicts
massively with what they thought they were raised with. It would be
confusing and put people in a bit of a shock, and I think everyone
knows who they really are now, without exception; they just need time
to digest it. However, it could mean that they would need a separate
spell to send them home but for all tents and purposes the curse is
broken.

>In sum, I don't think the curse has been broken. Instead, it has been
>changed. Rumpelstiltskin built in a fail-safe.
-----
Well That could've happen but it is predicated on the two premises
above which I don't think it is necessary.

>We know that Rumpelstiltskin put a back door in the curse. I think
>we're going to find out that this new situation is no accident, but is
>part of that back door. Rumpelstiltskin has made himself the most
>powerful being in Storybrooke. Odds are that he thought the curse
>would inevitably be broken.
>
>There's no reason to assume that those who could wield magic in the
>other realm will now be able to do so in Storybrooke, but the
>possibility cannot be ruled out.
-----
Regina seems to think so with her smile of the violet fog rolling in
towards her. Besides you need someone to oppose Rumpelstiltskin.
Having at the very least Regina regaining her powers would do that.
The Mad Hatter and the fairies would be counters to both Regina and
Mr. Gold as well. I have a feeling that Jefferson has it in special
for Regina LOL!

>Like you, I liked the way Emma was zapped by the book and what followed
>after that, but she'd handled the book before with no effect. I think
>she had to have been already on the edge of believing in order for the
>book to work.
-------
I actually think so given that the doctor essentially said that there
was no scientific reason for Henry to be in the state he was in (but
it could've been psychosomatic if you really want to dig for an
Earthly reason), but I also think it was Emma's panic that rendered
her thoughts irrational so she was open to it. The previous times her
mind was too clear and certain for the book to work.

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Professor Bubba

In article <4fb1e120.64455191@news.optonline.net>, Hunter
<buffhunter@my-deja.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2012 08:14:35 -0400, Professor Bubba
> <bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid> wrote:

> >When the curse was supposedly broken by Emma, look at what *didn't*
> >happen:
> >
> >Charming didn't get past the Storybrooke town line any more than any
> >other townie ever had.
> ------
> Charming stopped under his own volition because he remembered, not
> because he was prevented by a magic force, so he did an instant 180 to
> find Snow.

I've just taken another look. Yes, his truck was moving when the
Emmawave hit. I still think it's important that David stops just at or
before he hits the town line. If there were supposed to be
consequences to him crossing the line, he was spared them.

> It wasn't as if he hit some barrier-at least not yet.
> Still, I do concede the possibility of you being right because it
> would be a way to keep most of the Storybrooke denizens from fleeing
> to the outside world if they wanted to remain in this world if they
> wanted to and live somewhere else. If so and you are right would Mr.
> Gold and Regina be bound by that limitation?

We'll see. My presumption here is that the curse wasn't broken, just
bent. Gold is taking advantage of that through a back door he built
into the Queen's curse while he was creating it.

There's an awful lot we don't know. I think this is more or less a new
curse.

> >While most? all? the people of Storybrooke recovered most? all? of
> >their memories, no one seems to have acted on them except for the Blue
> >Fairy and Charming. Everybody just sat there like a rock, or (like
> >Snow) wandered around town in a daze, perhaps sorting things out. If
> >the curse had actually been broken, you could reasonably expect things
> >to have reverted to the status quo ante, with everyone back in their
> >normal lives and settings in the fairytale world.
> ------
> Why? There is no need for them to go back and yes they all wondered
> around a bit because their memories of who they really are conflicts
> massively with what they thought they were raised with. It would be
> confusing and put people in a bit of a shock, and I think everyone
> knows who they really are now, without exception; they just need time
> to digest it. However, it could mean that they would need a separate
> spell to send them home but for all tents and purposes the curse is
> broken.

They all seemed very quiet, though, which continues to make me
suspicious.

> I actually think so given that the doctor essentially said that there
> was no scientific reason for Henry to be in the state he was in (but
> it could've been psychosomatic if you really want to dig for an
> Earthly reason), but I also think it was Emma's panic that rendered
> her thoughts irrational so she was open to it. The previous times her
> mind was too clear and certain for the book to work.

Maybe, but we'd seen signs that she was beginning to buy into Henry's
story. As you say, the stress of Henry's condition may have aided the
process.

Barry Margolin

In article <150520120529276211%bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid>,
Professor Bubba <bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid> wrote:

> In article <4fb1e120.64455191@news.optonline.net>, Hunter
> <buffhunter@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 May 2012 08:14:35 -0400, Professor Bubba
> > <bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid> wrote:
>
> > >When the curse was supposedly broken by Emma, look at what *didn't*
> > >happen:
> > >
> > >Charming didn't get past the Storybrooke town line any more than any
> > >other townie ever had.
> > ------
> > Charming stopped under his own volition because he remembered, not
> > because he was prevented by a magic force, so he did an instant 180 to
> > find Snow.
>
> I've just taken another look. Yes, his truck was moving when the
> Emmawave hit. I still think it's important that David stops just at or
> before he hits the town line. If there were supposed to be
> consequences to him crossing the line, he was spared them.

The show has always been very clever about this part of the curse.
Whenever someone starts to leave the town, something that seems natural
prevents it. So we never see what would happen if they actually reach
the line, and there's no obvious evidence of a curse keeping them in.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

David Johnston

On 5/15/2012 8:09 AM, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article<150520120529276211%bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid>,
> Professor Bubba<bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article<4fb1e120.64455191@news.optonline.net>, Hunter
>> <buffhunter@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>> ------
>>> Charming stopped under his own volition because he remembered, not
>>> because he was prevented by a magic force, so he did an instant 180 to
>>> find Snow.
>>
>> I've just taken another look. Yes, his truck was moving when the
>> Emmawave hit. I still think it's important that David stops just at or
>> before he hits the town line. If there were supposed to be
>> consequences to him crossing the line, he was spared them.
>
> The show has always been very clever about this part of the curse.
> Whenever someone starts to leave the town, something that seems natural
> prevents it.

Except for Princess Midas who just seemed to disappear from out of her
car.