Using Tk in Ruby 185

Markus Liebelt

2/3/2007 7:50:00 PM

Hello all together,

today I upgrade from Ruby 1.82 to 1.85-21, I installed it under windows =
=

with the one-click-installer. Most of my previous work works without a =

change, but I cannot get Tk working. Let me explain what is happening:

1. For 1.82, I installed ActiveTcl (Version 8332), and copied some of th=
e =

libraries to ruby.
2. I tried that as well in the new ruby installation, but when I want to=
=

use Tk, ruby feezes, and I don't get any feedback (no error, nothing).
3. I removed the copied libraries, and tried just to use Tk in IRB.
- Start IRB, then "require 'tk'"

=3D=3D> D:\programme\tcl\ActiveTcl8332>irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'tk'

Then ruby is frozen, and I have to kill the process.

What am I missing here? Is Tk in the one-click-installer not included =

(seems so). What are the prerequisits for ruby to use tk widgets in ruby=
? =

Is it necessary to have the tcl/tk binaries in the path under windows?

It would be nice if you had any idea how to locate the error. At the =

moment, I don't have a clue.

Bye
Markus
5 Answers

WoNáDo

Markus Liebelt schrieb:
> Hello all together,
>
> today I upgrade from Ruby 1.82 to 1.85-21, I installed it under windows
> with the one-click-installer. Most of my previous work works without a
> change, but I cannot get Tk working.

Tk is not part of the one-click-installer any more. See change note:

2006-02
* Updated release notes to mention that the install now
only contains bindings to Tcl/Tk and that to use Tcl/Tk
you must install it (recommending ActiveTcl).

Wolfgang Nádasi-Donner

Hidetoshi NAGAI

Markus Liebelt

Thank you a lot. After installing the current Tcl Environment, the
application is working again. One subtlety I have now:

The Startup-command:

D:\programme\ruby\ruby185-21\bin\ruby.exe
c:\users\mliebelt\ruby\biblio\tk-gui.rb

had to be changed. Previously, the rubyw.exe worked (so no DOS-window) was
seen. After checking the files again, I have noticed, that I inserted some
puts commands into one file. Could it be, that ruby dies when it sees a
puts, but was started with the rubyw-executable?

But anyway, the things are working again. Thanks a lot to all that helped.

Bye
Markus

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 05:34:36 +0100, Hidetoshi NAGAI
<nagai@ai.kyutech.ac.jp> wrote:

> From: "Markus Liebelt" <mliebelt@web.de>
> Subject: Using Tk in Ruby 185
> Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 04:55:09 +0900
>> today I upgrade from Ruby 1.82 to 1.85-21, I installed it under windows
>> with the one-click-installer. Most of my previous work works without a
> (snip)
>> 1. For 1.82, I installed ActiveTcl (Version 8332), and copied some of
>> the
>> libraries to ruby.
>
> Possibly, one-click-installer 185 supports Tcl/Tk8.4 only
> (see [ruby-talk:235589]).
> If it is true, you have to use ActiveTcl8.4.x.

Canol Gokel

Wolfgang Nádasi-donner wrote:
> Tk is not part of the one-click-installer any more. See change note:
>
> 2006-02
> * Updated release notes to mention that the install now
> only contains bindings to Tcl/Tk and that to use Tcl/Tk
> you must install it (recommending ActiveTcl).
>
> Wolfgang N�dasi-Donner

Do you know what the reason is? I just started to learn Ruby. I hardly
made the decision between Python and Ruby. Now, Python still has a
distribution with Tk (at least under Windows) and Ruby has not. So I
have to ask my software users also to install ActiveTcl as well as the
Ruby interpreter (total of 45 mb) and hope they won't have any trouble
:(

Andrew Thompson

Canol Gokel wrote:
> So I
> have to ask my software users also to install ActiveTcl as well as the
> Ruby interpreter (total of 45 mb) and hope they won't have any trouble
> :(

I've run into this problem myself. ActiveTcl has a somewhat annoying
license as regards redistribution, so I just took the one
click-installer, gutted it and built my own tcl/tk to go with it. So I
have an entire ruby/tk environment in ~6 megs zipped with no
redistribution restrictions. No fancy installer (yet) but it works well
so far...

Andrew