rendering bitmap fonts from ruby

d c

1/26/2007 12:37:00 PM

hi!

i need to generate some bitmap headlines + was wondering if there are
any ruby libraries for rendering type to bitmaps?

we have a mixed linux/os-x environment, and getting rmagick running
for everyone looks like a bunch of work. are there any more quick
install gems out there that have less functionality but will allow me
to render a headline in a font + size of my choice to a bitmap (JPG
ideally)?

whats the word on GD library vs imagemagick vis-a-vis playing nice with ruby?

thanks!

/dc
David "DC" Collier
mailto:dc@pikkle.com
+81 (0)80 6521 9559
skype: callto://d3ntaku
Pikkle ????
http://www....

Farrel Lifson

On 26/01/07, dc <lister@pikkle.com> wrote:
> hi!
>
> i need to generate some bitmap headlines + was wondering if there are
> any ruby libraries for rendering type to bitmaps?
>
> we have a mixed linux/os-x environment, and getting rmagick running
> for everyone looks like a bunch of work. are there any more quick
> install gems out there that have less functionality but will allow me
> to render a headline in a font + size of my choice to a bitmap (JPG
> ideally)?
>
> whats the word on GD library vs imagemagick vis-a-vis playing nice with ruby?
>
> thanks!
>
> /dc
> David "DC" Collier
> mailto:dc@pikkle.com
> +81 (0)80 6521 9559
> skype: callto://d3ntaku
> Pikkle ????
> http://www....

Although I haven't used it (but I've looked through the docs) RMagick
(Ruby bindings for ImageMagick) seems to be really nice to work with.

Farrel

d c

indeed rmagick looks good, but the install for both mac + linux looks
like a couple hours work. i need to keep a half-dozen different
servers + environments working for this project, (developers in
different countries/OSs) so really looking for something much simpler.

eg a pure ruby library that would just render type to bitmaps...

/dc

On 26/01/07, Farrel Lifson <farrel.lifson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/01/07, dc <lister@pikkle.com> wrote:
> > hi!
> >
> > i need to generate some bitmap headlines + was wondering if there are
> > any ruby libraries for rendering type to bitmaps?
> >
> > we have a mixed linux/os-x environment, and getting rmagick running
> > for everyone looks like a bunch of work. are there any more quick
> > install gems out there that have less functionality but will allow me
> > to render a headline in a font + size of my choice to a bitmap (JPG
> > ideally)?
> >
> > whats the word on GD library vs imagemagick vis-a-vis playing nice with ruby?
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > /dc
> > David "DC" Collier
> > mailto:dc@pikkle.com
> > +81 (0)80 6521 9559
> > skype: callto://d3ntaku
> > Pikkle ????
> > http://www....
> >

> Although I haven't used it (but I've looked through the docs) RMagick
> (Ruby bindings for ImageMagick) seems to be really nice to work with.
>
> Farrel

David "DC" Collier
mailto:dc@pikkle.com
+81 (0)80 6521 9559