Re: A Ruby Operating System (no bashing please

Frank Davis

1/25/2007 7:48:00 PM

I know I would enjoy seeing that, just for the educational value of seeing how you accomplished it.

If you can get it to support Mongrel and SQLite, it might even have some practical applications!

-----Original Message-----
From: André [mailto:andre.nho@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:15 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: A Ruby Operating System (no bashing please)

Hello,

this post might sound strange, but after working with ruby for so long,
I've been thinking about writing a ruby operating system. I've been
thinking about doing my M.D. thesis about it, but I want to hear some
of your opinions.

First of all, the philosophical questions :-)

- Does it make any sense? (that is, does it sound useful?)
- It has been done before?

And then the technical stuff. I though about doing things this way:

1. Make the ruby VM run on bare metal. (that is, a ruby VM operating
system)
2. Make the standard ruby libraries
3. Make SO libraries

For step 1, the logical approach (for me) would be something like this:

1. Get the ruby source.
2. Write a replacement for every libc function ruby uses.
3. Compile ruby into a kernel and boot it.

Does this sound like a logic approach? Or there's any better way to do
it, or I should go for a different path here?

Thank you in advance,

André