Run other programs

Jonathan Denni

1/25/2007 6:07:00 PM

lets say I have three programs

Main.rb
Sub1.rb
and
Sub2.rb

When I run Main.rb, I want it to access and run the other two ruby
programs. How do I do this?

Harry

On 1/26/07, Jonathan Denni <jonsdenni@gmail.com> wrote:
> lets say I have three programs
>
> Main.rb
> Sub1.rb
> and
> Sub2.rb
>
> When I run Main.rb, I want it to access and run the other two ruby
> programs. How do I do this?

If you just want to run them one at a time and wait, you can do this;

trya.rb
puts "a"
sleep 3
system("ruby tryb.rb")
system("ruby tryc.rb")
sleep 3

tryb.rb
puts "b"
sleep 3

tryc.rb
puts "c"

--
http://www.kakueki.com/ruby...

Jonathan Denni

> If you just want to run them one at a time and wait, you can do this;
>
> trya.rb
> puts "a"
> sleep 3
> system("ruby tryb.rb")
> system("ruby tryc.rb")
> sleep 3
>
> tryb.rb
> puts "b"
> sleep 3
>
> tryc.rb
> puts "c"

thank you!
that was easy. so, according to
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/html/ref_m_kernel.html#Ker...
when I use system(" ") it has the same effect as if I typed whatever is
in the quotes into the terminal, right?

I could also use load("sub1.rb") instead of system("ruby sub1.rb")
correct?

Is there a way I can propogate the variables in the loaded files
('sub1.rb',sub2.rb') to the loading file ('main.rb')?