Free as in beer Komodo editor

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

1/25/2007 3:27:00 PM

The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:

Hi Chris-

> This is the sales page that highlights the major differences:
> http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/edit_v...
>
> Here's a comparison matrix:
>
> Feature/capability IDE Edit
> ----------------------------------
> Editor * *
> Code intelligence * *
> Debugger *
> Interactive Shells *
> Project manager * *
> Toolbox * *
> HTTP Inspector *
> DOM Viewer *
> Rx Toolkit *
> Code Browser *
> SCC *
> PDK integration *

So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category. I still think I'm
going to go with KDevelop over Komodo because of its ability to handle
compiled languages and it's freedom, but I'm going to have a hard look
at the free Komodo editor at work, where I have quite a bit of Perl code
that I might want to port to Ruby.

http://borasky-research.blo...

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.

1 Answer

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Robert Dober wrote:
> On 1/25/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
>>
>> The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
>> versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
>> was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
>> featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
>> the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
>> a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:
>> <snip> *
>>
>> So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category.
>

> If I correctly interpret the license it not really is :(
> http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_ide/beta_agre...
>
> I find that license unacceptable (unless I misunderstand)
> * After 6 month, or upon written notification or upon a commercial
> release I
> have to discontinue usage.
> * I *have to* provide test feedback.
>
> No Sir, not my choice.
>
> I would happily have accepted a closed license (as in free beer;) as
> long as
> I do not have to stop drinking beer upon written notice and send a bug
> report to the brewing company whenever my beer was not good!
Komodo Editor is still in beta. That's a standard sort of beta test
license -- "if you like it, tell your friends, if you *don't* like it,
tell *us*!" :)

My day job forbids us to do beta tests on company equipment, so I can't
actually use it at work until it's formally released. At that point, I
need to clear the real license with the powers that be. I sort of beta
tested the Komodo 4 at home on Linux -- I verified that it would install
on Gentoo, which was about all I had time to do before it went into
general release.

http://borasky-research.blo...