inter-platform communication

Mr_Tibs

I'm trying to find a new way to achieve inter-platform communication.
I'm currently using web services to pass data between a Solaris
machine, a Windows machine and a Linux machine. I would like to find
out if ruby can help me out in any way. Does ruby implement any RMI
system? Does it have SOAP+WSDL capabilities?

Thanks,
Tiberiu

4 Answers

Farrel Lifson

On 25/01/07, tiberiu.motoc@gmail.com <tiberiu.motoc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find a new way to achieve inter-platform communication.
> I'm currently using web services to pass data between a Solaris
> machine, a Windows machine and a Linux machine. I would like to find
> out if ruby can help me out in any way. Does ruby implement any RMI
> system? Does it have SOAP+WSDL capabilities?
>
> Thanks,
> Tiberiu

Have a look at dRb (distributed Ruby). It's in the standard library.
It does not have SOAP/WSDL capabilities as far as I know, it uses a
Ruby specific protocol.

Farrel

Alex Young

Farrel Lifson wrote:
> On 25/01/07, tiberiu.motoc@gmail.com <tiberiu.motoc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to find a new way to achieve inter-platform communication.
>> I'm currently using web services to pass data between a Solaris
>> machine, a Windows machine and a Linux machine. I would like to find
>> out if ruby can help me out in any way. Does ruby implement any RMI
>> system? Does it have SOAP+WSDL capabilities?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tiberiu
>>

> Have a look at dRb (distributed Ruby). It's in the standard library.
> It does not have SOAP/WSDL capabilities as far as I know, it uses a
> Ruby specific protocol.
If you need XML-RPC or SOAP, then they're both in the standard library too.

--
Alex

Alexandru E. Ungur

>>> sender: "tiberiu.motoc@gmail.com" date: "Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 04:35:16PM +0900" <<<EOQ
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find a new way to achieve inter-platform communication.
> I'm currently using web services to pass data between a Solaris
> machine, a Windows machine and a Linux machine. I would like to find
> out if ruby can help me out in any way. Does ruby implement any RMI
> system? Does it have SOAP+WSDL capabilities?
Hi all,

You could also try the 9P protocol from Plan9[1]. There are at least
two Ruby implementations[2] of it and even if you won't end up using
it, it's definitely something worth reading.

Good luck,
Alex

[1] http://plan9.bell-labs....
[2] http://cat...