PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN for Ruby

observatory

1/24/2007 9:48:00 PM

Hello,

I know the environment variable PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN sets the maximum
number of php fastcgi processes to be spawn when using Apache. Is there
a similar environment variable for Ruby/Rails fastcgi applications? Or
does this same variable also apply to Ruby?

Thanks

5 Answers

David Vallner

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:50:07 +0100, <observatory@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know the environment variable PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN sets the maximum
> number of php fastcgi processes to be spawn when using Apache. Is there
> a similar environment variable for Ruby/Rails fastcgi applications? Or
> does this same variable also apply to Ruby?
>

> Thanks

http://www.fastcgi.com/mod_fastcgi/docs/mod_fastcgi.html#Fas...

Specifically, the -processes switch.

David Vallner

Jeremy Kemper

On 1/24/07, observatory@gmail.com <observatory@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know the environment variable PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN sets the maximum
> number of php fastcgi processes to be spawn when using Apache. Is there
> a similar environment variable for Ruby/Rails fastcgi applications? Or
> does this same variable also apply to Ruby?

Not builtin, but your FastCGI process manager (Apache, lighttpd,
nginx, etc) probably does the same for you.

PHP can manage its own FastCGI processes by forking up to
PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN listeners.

See http://dev.rubyonrails.org/t... for an early effort.

jeremy

observatory

Hello,

I knew this could be done using the options offered by
apache/mod_fastcgi, but I'm running ruby/rails on a shared host, so I
have no control over those settings. Too bad the work on that patch was
was abandoned.

Thanks

On Jan 25, 2:24 pm, "Jeremy Kemper" <jer...@bitsweat.net> wrote:
> On 1/24/07, observat...@gmail.com <observat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I know the environment variable PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN sets the maximum
> > number of php fastcgi processes to be spawn when using Apache. Is there
> > a similar environment variable for Ruby/Rails fastcgi applications? Or
> > does this same variable also apply to Ruby?Not builtin, but your FastCGI process manager (Apache, lighttpd,
> nginx, etc) probably does the same for you.
>
> PHP can manage its own FastCGI processes by forking up to
> PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN listeners.
>
> Seehttp://dev.rubyonrails.org/tick... an early effort.
>
> jeremy

Fred

not one is wacky as Peelosi.

Top Sargeant

"Fred" <Fred@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> not one is wacky as Peelosi.

Are you serious? Palin, O'Donnell, Bachmann and Angle??? PMS the Chinese
don't want those nuts.