Re: One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows: 185-22 RC1

Jeff

1/24/2007 8:27:00 PM

On Jan 24, 10:54 am, "Curt Hibbs" <ml.chi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 185-22 Release Candidate 1 <http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_...
>
> This release updates Ruby to 1.8.5 patch level 12 (lots of bugs fixed), and
> most of the included extensions to their latest versions (see the change
> log). You can download the new release here:http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
>
> Also, FreeRIDE is no longer included. You can install FreeRIDE separately
> from:http://freeride.ruby...

Awesome.

What version of RubyGems do you intend to include? I've had some
problems with 0.9.1 but haven't had time to verify if it's just on my
machine or not ("gem unpack " fails with an "absolute path" error, also
rendering rails:freeze to fail for people using Rails), but you might
want to just test 0.9.1 on your Windows box first if you're intending
to ship it with the installer, just in case the problem isn't specific
to my environment.

Thanks again,
Jeff
softiesonrails.com

2 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Jan 24, 2007, at 12:26, Jeff wrote:
> What version of RubyGems do you intend to include?

I've been working with Curt to try to get a major issue with 0.9.1 on
windows sorted out. I've fixed half of it, and if we can fix the
other half in a timely manner it should ship with 0.9.1.

> I've had some problems with 0.9.1 but haven't had time to verify if
> it's just on my
> machine or not ("gem unpack " fails with an "absolute path" error,

Known issue, see the tracker.

> also rendering rails:freeze to fail for people using Rails

Rails is hacking its way through the command line interface instead
of going direct to the source, something like:

Installer.new(gem).unpack(destination)

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Jeff

On Jan 24, 3:52 pm, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
> I've been working with Curt to try to get a major issue with 0.9.1 on
> windows sorted out. I've fixed half of it, and if we can fix the
> other half in a timely manner it should ship with 0.9.1.

Sounds good, Eric. If you need any help testing something on Windows,
feel free to let me know (though I'm sure between you and Curt you've
got it covered).

Thanks
Jeff