How do I tell extconf.rb/mkmf NOT to try and use cl.exe

Wes Gamble

1/23/2007 6:52:00 PM

I'm trying to compile an extension on Windows using ruby extconf.rb.

However, if I try it in Cygwin or in a command window (with MinGW's bin
directory in the PATH), it fails and the mkmf.log file shows that the
"cl" executable is being run.

I don't have a "cl" on my Windows system, so I need gcc to be used.

How do I indicate to mkmf.rb that I'm running under Cygwin or MinGW?

Thanks,
Wes

Eric Hodel

On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:52, Wes Gamble wrote:

> I'm trying to compile an extension on Windows using ruby extconf.rb.
>
> However, if I try it in Cygwin or in a command window (with MinGW's
> bin
> directory in the PATH), it fails and the mkmf.log file shows that the
> "cl" executable is being run.
>
> I don't have a "cl" on my Windows system, so I need gcc to be used.
>
> How do I indicate to mkmf.rb that I'm running under Cygwin or MinGW?

Rebuild ruby with cygwin/mingw. You can't necessarily link cygwin/
mingw libraries into your ruby.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Daniel Berger

Wes Gamble wrote:
> I'm trying to compile an extension on Windows using ruby extconf.rb.
>
> However, if I try it in Cygwin or in a command window (with MinGW's bin
> directory in the PATH), it fails and the mkmf.log file shows that the
> "cl" executable is being run.
>
> I don't have a "cl" on my Windows system, so I need gcc to be used.
>
> How do I indicate to mkmf.rb that I'm running under Cygwin or MinGW?
>
> Thanks,
> Wes

Within your extconf.rb file, "$CC = gcc" should work

Or, set your CC environment variable.

Regards,

Dan

Wes Gamble

Neither of those seems to work, although I thought that they would.

Why am I doing Ruby development on a Windows box?!!???!!
@#$&*@)(#$&@$&#@)&

Thanks anyway.

Wes

Ara.T.Howard

tankfixer

In article <0gtss51dkv1ihge86mkl6cq7uico10tcgb@4ax.com>,
mrLookout@yahoo.com says...

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:17:55 -0700, tankfixer <paul.carrier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <kjjqs5hjhcae7gd32ovsugoifi371cud1l@4ax.com>,
> >mrLookout@yahoo.com says...

> >> He's changed his mind now that he saw just how bad it was.
> >> Remember..bush lied.
> >
> >Afraid of the truth arn't you
> >
> I didn't say that, did I?

You can't admit you support an Obama lie

tankfixer

In article <bftss5d57au8sj0v3pgm45l0g5ojtvo2e7@4ax.com>,
mrLookout@yahoo.com says...

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:16:23 -0700, tankfixer <paul.carrier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <1ijqs5pa4ujd8dc4dp9c6vppt99cvoksl8@4ax.com>,
> >mrLookout@yahoo.com says...

> >> This is about bush (see the topic?). Stop trying to change the
> >> subject.
> >
> >Afraid to answer the question aren't you
>
> Not at all. Start a new thread.

Coward