Deploying (and updating) a ruby client application on a Windows LAN

Philippe Lang

I'm about to deploy a ruby client-server application on multiple
computers on a LAN, and I was wondering if anyone had experience in this
domain. Installation requires a few steps:

1) Install Ruby
2) Install FXRuby
3) Install a few patches
4) Install ODBC for MS Access reporting
4) Install a directory with all the application tree

I don't fear a first installation done by hand on each computer. But it
would be great if all the updates could be automatic.

What is the best direction to take? Gems, Capistrano? Something else,
OS-based?

Thanks for your ideas and tips!

Philippe Lang

14 Answers

Wilson Bilkovich

On 1/23/07, Philippe Lang <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to deploy a ruby client-server application on multiple
> computers on a LAN, and I was wondering if anyone had experience in this
> domain. Installation requires a few steps:
>
> 1) Install Ruby
> 2) Install FXRuby
> 3) Install a few patches
> 4) Install ODBC for MS Access reporting
> 4) Install a directory with all the application tree
>
> I don't fear a first installation done by hand on each computer. But it
> would be great if all the updates could be automatic.
>
> What is the best direction to take? Gems, Capistrano? Something else,
> OS-based?

My (weird, but solid) approach was to make an installer using
http://nsis.sourc...
If you have a deployment toolset (like Novell's Zenworks, Microsoft's
stuff, or even login scripts), you can just push out an updated copy
of the installer as needed.
If not, you can use the compiled NSIS executable like a 'launcher'. I
made a simple one with logic like:
version = check_installed_version (in registry or on disk)
if version == the_one_embedded_in_this_file
launch application and exit
else
run the install then launch app and exit
end

This means you can have the application shortcut point straight at the
installer. When you copy in a fresh version of the file, it silently
installs an updated app and then launches. Otherwise, it just adds a
few milliseconds to the start time, and pretends to be a shortcut.

Seon

"Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Seon Ferguson wrote:
>>
>> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> It's because millions and millions of people think that he hasn't kicked
>>> wingnut ass hard enough.
>>> --
>>
>> No it means the majority of Americans disagree with his policies and you
>> can't just stand the fact that most Americans disagree with you.
>
> First of all... *most* Americans do not disagree with Obama's policies.
>
> http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval...
>
> Come up with something that has legs or sit the fuck down and shut the
> fuck up.

Your starting to sound more like Bill Orilley each day. But the fact is
Obama's approval rating is lower than any president has been in their second
year, even Bush.

> --
> Beer... so much more than a breakfast drink

duckstandard

Seon Ferguson wrote:
> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Seon Ferguson wrote:
> >>
> >> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >>
> >> No it means the majority of Americans disagree with his policies and you
> >> can't just stand the fact that most Americans disagree with you.
> >
> > First of all... *most* Americans do not disagree with Obama's policies.
> >
> > http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval...
> >
> > Come up with something that has legs or sit the fuck down and shut the
> > fuck up.
>
> Your starting to sound more like Bill Orilley each day. But the fact is
> Obama's approval rating is lower than any president has been in their second
> year, even Bush.

Major Debacle

Seon Ferguson wrote:

> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Seon Ferguson wrote:
>>> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> No it means the majority of Americans disagree with his policies and you
>>> can't just stand the fact that most Americans disagree with you.
>> First of all... *most* Americans do not disagree with Obama's policies.
>>
>> http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval...
>>
>> Come up with something that has legs or sit the fuck down and shut the
>> fuck up.
>
> Your starting to sound more like Bill Orilley each day.

Not true

Billo doesn't give one the option of coming up with something that has legs.

He just tells one to shut the fuck up.

Now come up with something that demonstrates unequivocally that *the
majority of Americans disagree with his policies*... or sit the fuck
down and shut the fuck up... and quit bitching.
--

Seon Ferguson wrote:
> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Seon Ferguson wrote:
> >>
> >> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >>
> >> No it means the majority of Americans disagree with his policies and you
> >> can't just stand the fact that most Americans disagree with you.
> >
> > First of all... *most* Americans do not disagree with Obama's policies.
> >
> > http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval...
> >
> > Come up with something that has legs or sit the fuck down and shut the
> > fuck up.
>
> Your starting to sound more like Bill Orilley each day. But the fact is
> Obama's approval rating is lower than any president has been in their second
> year, even Bush.

Yea and it took terrorist attacks and constant fear tactics to bring
his numbers up and get support. Nothing different today from
Republicans, same ol trash that isn't working for the Republican
party, still works on you I see..

Everything is completely fabricated with Republicans.

duckstandard

Seon Ferguson wrote:
> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > It's because millions and millions of people think that he hasn't kicked
> > wingnut ass hard enough.
> > --
>
> No it means the majority of Americans disagree with his policies and you
> can't just stand the fact that most Americans disagree with you.

There is no 'most' except under Bush against his so-called 'policies.'
I've seen plenty of how people disagree with Obama's policies and it's
pretty well a 'manufactured' disagreement with no thought behind it
and no logical working ability to explain the disagreements..

> Seon Ferguson wrote:
>>
>> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> First of all... *most* Americans do not disagree with Obama's policies.
>>>
>>> http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval...
>>>
>>> Come up with something that has legs or sit the fuck down and shut the
>>> fuck up.
>>
>> Your starting to sound more like Bill Orilley each day.
>
> Not true
>
> Billo doesn't give one the option of coming up with something that has
> legs.
>
> He just tells one to shut the fuck up.
>
> Now come up with something that demonstrates unequivocally that *the
> majority of Americans disagree with his policies*... or sit the fuck
> down and shut the fuck up... and quit bitching.
> --
True and then he shouts them down. But the fact is the minority of Americans
do not support Obama. So if it's not his policies then what is it?

"duckstandard" <duckstand@lavabit.com> wrote in message

> Seon Ferguson wrote:
>> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>> > First of all... *most* Americans do not disagree with Obama's policies.
>> >
>> > http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval...
>> >
>> > Come up with something that has legs or sit the fuck down and shut the
>> > fuck up.
>>
>> Your starting to sound more like Bill Orilley each day. But the fact is
>> Obama's approval rating is lower than any president has been in their
>> second
>> year, even Bush.
>>

> Yea and it took terrorist attacks and constant fear tactics to bring
> his numbers up and get support. Nothing different today from
> Republicans, same ol trash that isn't working for the Republican
> party, still works on you I see..
>
> Everything is completely fabricated with Republicans.

You mean the Christmas day bomber? The guy who was video taped on the plane,
escorted by a "Sharply dressed man" and even allowed to enter the plane
without a passport? Yeah your right these are the same false flag tactics
being used by republicans. Fear sells and it's nothing different than with
the republicans.

> Seon Ferguson wrote:
>> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> > It's because millions and millions of people think that he hasn't
>> > kicked
>> > wingnut ass hard enough.
>> > --
>>
>> No it means the majority of Americans disagree with his policies and you
>> can't just stand the fact that most Americans disagree with you.
>>

> There is no 'most' except under Bush against his so-called 'policies.'
> I've seen plenty of how people disagree with Obama's policies and it's
> pretty well a 'manufactured' disagreement with no thought behind it
> and no logical working ability to explain the disagreements..

You must only be watching the liberal media and seeing how they depict those
who disagree with Obama. I think it is insane to keep spending when your
economy is so screwed up. I am also against the Iraq war and America playing
Team America World Police. All of this is still going on under Obama.

Lookout

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:41:52 +1000, "Seon Ferguson" <seongf@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"duckstandard" <duckstand@lavabit.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Seon Ferguson wrote:
>>> "Major Debacle" <Major_Debacle@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Your starting to sound more like Bill Orilley each day. But the fact is
>>> Obama's approval rating is lower than any president has been in their
>>> second
>>> year, even Bush.
>>>

>> Yea and it took terrorist attacks and constant fear tactics to bring
>> his numbers up and get support. Nothing different today from
>> Republicans, same ol trash that isn't working for the Republican
>> party, still works on you I see..
>>
>> Everything is completely fabricated with Republicans.
>
>You mean the Christmas day bomber? The guy who was video taped on the plane,
>escorted by a "Sharply dressed man" and even allowed to enter the plane
>without a passport?

Which all happened IN ANOTHER COUNTRY, dumbass