Socket issue

Marc Soda

1/22/2007 3:54:00 PM

Hey all,

While testing some edge cases in an app I came across a strange socket
issue. If I have a server that dies unexpectedly, and then try to
write to it from an already connected client, it doesn't raise an
exception until the next time I try to write it.

Example:

Server
---------
require 'socket'

include Socket::Constants

sock = Socket.new(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0)
sock.setsockopt(SOL_SOCKET, SO_REUSEADDR, true)
sockaddr = Socket.pack_sockaddr_in(7000, 'localhost')
sock.bind(sockaddr)
sock.listen(0)

client, client_sockaddr = sock.accept
print "Connected\n"
print ">>> #{client.readline}"
abort

Client
--------
require 'socket'
include Socket::Constants

$sock = Socket.new(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0)
sockaddr = Socket.pack_sockaddr_in(7000, 'localhost')
$sock.connect(sockaddr)

def send_msg
begin
$sock.write("Hello\n")
rescue StandardError => err
p err

puts "1"
send_msg
sleep 0.5
puts "2"
send_msg # Should error here.
sleep 0.5
puts "3"
send_msg

Any suggestions? I'm running on Linux, BTW.

Thanks,
Marc

8 Answers

Gary Wright

On Jan 22, 2007, at 10:53 AM, Marc Soda wrote:
> Any suggestions? I'm running on Linux, BTW.

What you are seeing is in the nature of TCP.

After the connection succeeds your server shuts down *its* end of
the TCP session (i.e. it tells the client that it won't send any
more data). Since TCP is full duplex, the client-> server part of
the connection is still up and running as far as the client is
concerned.

Your first write stuffs the data in a buffer and returns (with no
error). Shortly thereafter the kernel decides to actually transmit
the data. The server responds with a RESET indicating that it will
no longer accept data on that TCP session. The error is noted by
the kernel and is reported to your client code on the *next* attempt
to write to the socket (which is now in an error state).

There is no one-to-one mapping of a write call on the socket to
data transmission on the wire for TCP due to buffering. This is
why the first write doesn't cause the transmit/detect/report of
the error.

Gary Wright

Marc Soda

On 1/22/07, gwtmp01@mac.com <gwtmp01@mac.com> wrote:
> What you are seeing is in the nature of TCP.
>
> After the connection succeeds your server shuts down *its* end of
> the TCP session (i.e. it tells the client that it won't send any
> more data). Since TCP is full duplex, the client-> server part of
> the connection is still up and running as far as the client is
> concerned.
>
> Your first write stuffs the data in a buffer and returns (with no
> error). Shortly thereafter the kernel decides to actually transmit
> the data. The server responds with a RESET indicating that it will
> no longer accept data on that TCP session. The error is noted by
> the kernel and is reported to your client code on the *next* attempt
> to write to the socket (which is now in an error state).
>
> There is no one-to-one mapping of a write call on the socket to
> data transmission on the wire for TCP due to buffering. This is
> why the first write doesn't cause the transmit/detect/report of
> the error.
>
> Gary Wright

Gary,

First, thanks for your answer. I agree with you, however, my
understanding was that after the client side kernel flushes it's
buffers from the second send(2) (the first send after the server dies)
the server would send a RST back. If I were to go about other
processing and not even touch the socket again I should still receive
and SIGPIPE. Is this not true?

Thanks for your time.
Marc

Gary Wright

On Jan 22, 2007, at 10:59 PM, Marc Soda wrote:
> First, thanks for your answer. I agree with you, however, my
> understanding was that after the client side kernel flushes it's
> buffers from the second send(2) (the first send after the server dies)
> the server would send a RST back. If I were to go about other
> processing and not even touch the socket again I should still receive
> and SIGPIPE. Is this not true?

The SIGPIPE is sent when you attempt to write to the socket, not when
the kernel receives the RST. So in your example, the timeline looks
like:

client server
------------------------------
listen
connect
accept
abort
<-----------FIN
write
sleep
| 'hello' -------->
| <----------- RST
write: SIGPIPE

That is a pretty lame diagram but I hope it clarifies things.

FYI, this is a behavior of the underlying socket abstraction, not
something particular to Ruby.

Gary Wright

GOP_Decline_and_Fall

On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 17:59:14 -0400, "Scout"
<me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:

>"GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 03:12:48 -0400, "Scout"
>> <me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message

>>><crickets>

>>><crickets>
>>
>> You actually expect an answer to such a puerile third grade loaded
>> question?
>
>I will take that as you can't answer even a simple question.

Loaded question from a simpleton you mean.

Holding the view that reasonable people require evidence that
Zimmerman's purported fear of death was reasonable in no way implies
a belief that evidence is not required.

Actually a second grader could see through your"have you stopped
beating your wife?" bullshit".

>>><crickets>
>>
>> As the prosecutor said, only two people know. One is dead and the
>> other a liar.
>
>So only two people know if Zimmerman got into a fight?
>
>What about all the testimony that indicates that Zimmerman and Trayvon were
>fighting?
>
>Are you suggesting the prosecution is denying it's own witnesses' testimony?

>>>Which is a long fucking way from your assertion that his right hand was
>>>never used.
>>>
>>>See, what you've just admitted is you don't know whether he used is right
>>>hand or not....so you LIED when you claimed to know he hadn't used it.
>>
>> It's this pesky thing called evidence that's missing.
>
>You mean what the prosecution doesn't have?
>
>> There is evidence in a small abrasion that Trayvon's left hand MIGHT
>> have hit Zimmerman .As for the rest of his body,their is no evidence
>> of any contact with Zimmerman at all.
>
>Except for that pesky eye witness testimony.
>
>That puts them in contract with each other.
>
>So much for your theory that they weren't fighting.
>
>> For all we know Zimmerman could have shot Trayvon from four feet away
>> according to the post mortem evidence.
>
>Sure, except they were seen in direct contact with each other just moments
>before the shot.
>

>>>I think from now on, it would save so much time to simply snip at your
>>>first
>>>lie.
>>>
>>>Should greatly reduce how much of your ramblings I have to deal with, or
>>>if
>>>you want me to then you're going to have to work on your honesty.
>>>
>>><snip>

Scout

> On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 17:59:14 -0400, "Scout"
> <me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>"GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message

<crickets>

>>> You actually expect an answer to such a puerile third grade loaded
>>> question?
>>
>>I will take that as you can't answer even a simple question.
>
> Loaded question from a simpleton you mean.
>
> Holding the view that reasonable people require evidence that
> Zimmerman's purported fear of death was reasonable in no way implies
> a belief that evidence is not required.

Perhaps, but the question is are you a reasonable person who bases their
judgment on the evidence?

> Actually a second grader could see through your"have you stopped
> beating your wife?" bullshit".

Not really, since you've shown you do "beat your wife" in that you seem not
to care about whether the evidence actually shows whether Zimmerman is
guilty or not.

You've already decided he's guilty and you ignore any evidence contrary to
your prejudice.

<crickets>

>>> As the prosecutor said, only two people know. One is dead and the
>>> other a liar.
>>
>>So only two people know if Zimmerman got into a fight?
>>
>>What about all the testimony that indicates that Zimmerman and Trayvon
>>were
>>fighting?
>>
>>Are you suggesting the prosecution is denying it's own witnesses'
>>testimony?

<crickets>

>>> It's this pesky thing called evidence that's missing.
>>
>>You mean what the prosecution doesn't have?

<crickets>

>>> There is evidence in a small abrasion that Trayvon's left hand MIGHT
>>> have hit Zimmerman .As for the rest of his body,their is no evidence
>>> of any contact with Zimmerman at all.
>>
>>Except for that pesky eye witness testimony.
>>
>>That puts them in contract with each other.
>>
>>So much for your theory that they weren't fighting.

<crickets>

>>> For all we know Zimmerman could have shot Trayvon from four feet away
>>> according to the post mortem evidence.
>>
>>Sure, except they were seen in direct contact with each other just moments
>>before the shot.

<crickets>

Wow, look at all the evidence you ignored in your desire to condemn
Zimmerman.

Scout

> On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 17:54:21 -0400, "Scout"
> <me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>"GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message

>>> A portion of a physical altercation where he didn't even see an actual
>>> blow struck and was unsure of who was on top and who was on the
>>> bottom.

>>> GIGO
>>>
>>> If you insist on rewriting others words and putting words in their
>>> mouth don't be surprised if arrive at faulty conclusions.
>>
>><snipped at first lie>
>>
>>When you can discuss what I actually said, then we can talk.
>>
>>Until then I will note that there was testimony and evidence introduced by
>>the prosecution.
>
> None supporting any Life threatening attack on Zimmerman was
> introduced.

So no eyewitness testimony of a fight? No physical evidence on injuries? No
evidence seen by police that a struggle took place in the grass?

Odd, I see to recall certain testimony and evidence that showed such a fight
occurred, and you claimed that a fight occurred wasn't a fact in dispute.

So why are you know disputing it?

GOP_Decline_and_Fall

On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 19:09:44 -0400, "Scout"
<me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:

>"GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 17:59:14 -0400, "Scout"
>> <me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message

><crickets>

>>>I will take that as you can't answer even a simple question.
>>
>> Loaded question from a simpleton you mean.
>>
>> Holding the view that reasonable people require evidence that
>> Zimmerman's purported fear of death was reasonable in no way implies
>> a belief that evidence is not required.
>
>Perhaps, but the question is are you a reasonable person who bases their
>judgment on the evidence?

No.

The question is whether,absent significant injury,
it's reasonable to accept a killer's unsupported word that his victim
needed shooting through the heart at point blank range.

>> Actually a second grader could see through your"have you stopped
>> beating your wife?" bullshit".
>
>Not really, since you've shown you do "beat your wife" in that you seem not
>to care about whether the evidence actually shows whether Zimmerman is
>guilty or not.
>
>You've already decided he's guilty and you ignore any evidence contrary to
>your prejudice.

He called Trayvon a fucking punk and profiled him as an asshole that
always gets away and chased after him with a loaded weapon, confronted
the boy and shot him through the heart.

IMO that makes him guilty whatever unsupported cock and bull stories
are floated about him being in fear of his life.

As to SYG any such claim was likely to have been as quickly thrown out
as Friday's forlorn motion to acquit was.

You don't get more prejudiced than your touching faith in Zimmerman's
unsupported word which is totally driven by your agenda.
However many in your own camp do not share your touching faith

George Zimmerman's Lawyer, Mark O'Mara, To Speak At Convention For Gun
Rights Group

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/07/george-zimmermans-lawyer-mark-omara_n_17...

Alan Gottlieb, the founder of the Second Amendment Foundation, has
been an outspoken supporter of the Stand Your Ground law. But back in
March, he told Chris Matthews of MSNBC that the law might not apply to
Zimmerman. "He may very well use that to defend himself, but the truth
is in this case, he was the pursuer," Gottliebe said. "He didn't stand
his ground."

><crickets>

>>>So only two people know if Zimmerman got into a fight?
>>>
>>>What about all the testimony that indicates that Zimmerman and Trayvon
>>>were
>>>fighting?
>>>
>>>Are you suggesting the prosecution is denying it's own witnesses'
>>>testimony?
>>>

><crickets>

>>>You mean what the prosecution doesn't have?
>>>

><crickets>

>>>Except for that pesky eye witness testimony.
>>>
>>>That puts them in contract with each other.
>>>
>>>So much for your theory that they weren't fighting.
>>>

><crickets>

>>>Sure, except they were seen in direct contact with each other just moments
>>>before the shot.
>>>

><crickets>

>Wow, look at all the evidence you ignored in your desire to condemn
>Zimmerman.

Scout

> On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 19:09:44 -0400, "Scout"
> <me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>"GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message

>><crickets>

>>> Loaded question from a simpleton you mean.
>>>
>>> Holding the view that reasonable people require evidence that
>>> Zimmerman's purported fear of death was reasonable in no way implies
>>> a belief that evidence is not required.
>>
>>Perhaps, but the question is are you a reasonable person who bases their
>>judgment on the evidence?
>
> No.

Enough said.