gem install - install directory not absolute

Mark Volkmann

1/22/2007 3:16:00 PM

When I run ...
sudo gem install rails -y

I get ...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
install directory "/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/./gems/
activesupport-1.4.0" not absolute

The directory /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/gems/activesupport-1.4.0 does
exist.

Any suggestions on what I need to change?
I don't know why the "/./" appears in the path in the error message.

10 Answers

Jeff

Mark Volkmann wrote:
> When I run ...
> sudo gem install rails -y
>
> I get ...
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> install directory "/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/./gems/
> activesupport-1.4.0" not absolute
>
> The directory /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/gems/activesupport-1.4.0 does
> exist.

My guess is that you, like me, are running gem version 0.9.1. After I
upgraded to 0.9.1 this weekend (via gem update --system), I now get
this error anytime I tried to freeze my rails app.

But I'm on Windows XP -- maybe this is specific to the Windows version
of RubyGems. What OS are you using?

Mark Volkmann

On Jan 22, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Jeff wrote:

> Mark Volkmann wrote:
>
>> When I run ...
>> sudo gem install rails -y
>>
>> I get ...
>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
>> install directory "/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/./gems/
>> activesupport-1.4.0" not absolute
>>
>> The directory /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/gems/activesupport-1.4.0 does
>> exist.
>>

> My guess is that you, like me, are running gem version 0.9.1. After I
> upgraded to 0.9.1 this weekend (via gem update --system),

That's right. I did exactly that.

> I now get this error anytime I tried to freeze my rails app.
>
> But I'm on Windows XP -- maybe this is specific to the Windows version
> of RubyGems. What OS are you using?

I'm on Mac OS X, so it's not specific to Windows.

Eric Hodel

On Jan 22, 2007, at 07:15, Mark Volkmann wrote:

> When I run ...
> sudo gem install rails -y
>
> I get ...
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> install directory "/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/./gems/
> activesupport-1.4.0" not absolute
>
> The directory /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/gems/activesupport-1.4.0
> does exist.
>
> Any suggestions on what I need to change?
> I don't know why the "/./" appears in the path in the error message.

What does `gem environment` report?

Did you set GEM_HOME or similar?

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Mark Volkmann

On Jan 22, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 07:15, Mark Volkmann wrote:
>

>> When I run ...
>> sudo gem install rails -y
>>
>> I get ...
>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
>> install directory "/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/./gems/
>> activesupport-1.4.0" not absolute
>>
>> The directory /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/gems/activesupport-1.4.0
>> does exist.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what I need to change?
>> I don't know why the "/./" appears in the path in the error message.
>>

> What does `gem environment` report?

RubyGems Environment:
- VERSION: 0.9.1 (0.9.1)
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/.
- GEM PATH:
- /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/.
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rub...

I see that it put "/." at the ends of the paths. It doesn't seem like
that should be an issue though.

> Did you set GEM_HOME or similar?

No. Do I need to do that?

Eric Hodel

On Jan 22, 2007, at 11:30, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2007, at 07:15, Mark Volkmann wrote:
>>> When I run ...
>>> sudo gem install rails -y
>>>
>>> I get ...
>>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
>>> install directory "/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/./gems/
>>> activesupport-1.4.0" not absolute
>>>
>>> The directory /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/gems/activesupport-1.4.0
>>> does exist.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on what I need to change?
>>> I don't know why the "/./" appears in the path in the error message.
>>
>> What does `gem environment` report?
>
> RubyGems Environment:
> - VERSION: 0.9.1 (0.9.1)
> - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/.
> - GEM PATH:
> - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/.
> - REMOTE SOURCES:
> - http://gems.rub...
>
> I see that it put "/." at the ends of the paths. It doesn't seem
> like that should be an issue though.

You're missing 1.8 in that path (or 1.9).

What does this say:

ruby -rrbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["ruby_version"]'

I get "1.8".

How did you install your ruby?

--

On Jan 23, 2007, at 05:20, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2007, at 10:48 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2007, at 11:30, Mark Volkmann wrote:
>>> RubyGems Environment:
>>> - VERSION: 0.9.1 (0.9.1)
>>> - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/.
>>> - GEM PATH:
>>> - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/.
>>> - REMOTE SOURCES:
>>> - http://gems.rub...
>>>
>>> I see that it put "/." at the ends of the paths. It doesn't seem
>>> like that should be an issue though.
>>
>> You're missing 1.8 in that path (or 1.9).
>>
>> What does this say:
>>
>> ruby -rrbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["ruby_version"]'
>>
>> I get "1.8".
>
> I get ".".

That's bad.

>> How did you install your ruby?
>
> I downloaded ruby-1.8.5.tar.gz, then ran the following commands as
> root, running on Mac OS X.
> gzip –d ruby-1.8.5.tar.gz
> tar xf ruby-1.8.5.tar
> cd ruby-1.8.5
> ./configure
> make
> make test
> make install
> make install-doc

Hrm, something has gone tragically wrong then. Without the version
numbers RubyGems can't be guaranteed to work. I recommend you
rebuild ruby.

BTW, what does this say:

$ ruby -v -e 'p RUBY_VERSION'
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-04 patchlevel 2) [i686-darwin8.8.2]
"1.8.5"

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

R. Mark Volkmann

On Jan 23, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2007, at 05:20, Mark Volkmann wrote:

>>> You're missing 1.8 in that path (or 1.9).
>>>
>>> What does this say:
>>>
>>> ruby -rrbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["ruby_version"]'
>>>
>>> I get "1.8".
>>
>> I get ".".
>
> That's bad.
>
>>> How did you install your ruby?
>>
>> I downloaded ruby-1.8.5.tar.gz, then ran the following commands as
>> root, running on Mac OS X.
>> gzip –d ruby-1.8.5.tar.gz
>> tar xf ruby-1.8.5.tar
>> cd ruby-1.8.5
>> ./configure
>> make
>> make test
>> make install
>> make install-doc
>
> Hrm, something has gone tragically wrong then. Without the version
> numbers RubyGems can't be guaranteed to work. I recommend you
> rebuild ruby.
>
> BTW, what does this say:
>
> $ ruby -v -e 'p RUBY_VERSION'
> ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-04 patchlevel 2) [i686-darwin8.8.2]
> "1.8.5"

ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-04 patchlevel 2) [i686-darwin8.8.1]
"1.8.5"

The only difference from yours is that I have darwin8.8.1 instead of
8.8.2.

I'll try reinstalling Ruby.

Lanskee Shuru

On Friday, December 7, 2012 2:21:16 PM UTC-5, george152 wrote:
> On 07/12/12 19:22, Mr.B1ack wrote: > On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 19:21:59 -0800, Michael Ejercito wrote: > >> http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/04/15670572-you-kil... > scrawled-on-hanukkah-menorah?lite >> >> 'You killed Jesus' scrawled on Hanukkah menorah > > The Romans killed him. > > At the behest of a bunch of irate rabbis. > > Them's the facts as best as recorded. > > But, warned, he COULD have avoided it, but > didn't. Therefore it was a suicide. > The 'son' of god didn't see it coming? And people think he's going to save THEM ?

He could have taken a bottle of Ambien or set Himself up, knowing He had to die for me, one way or the other. We are led to believe He chose the latter---my Hero.

liberal

On Dec 7, 1:22 am, "Mr.B1ack" <nowh...@nada.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 19:21:59 -0800, Michael Ejercito wrote:
> >http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/04/15670572-you-kil...
>
> scrawled-on-hanukkah-menorah?lite
>

> > 'You killed Jesus' scrawled on Hanukkah menorah
>
>    The Romans killed him.
>
>    At the behest of a bunch of irate rabbis.
>
>    Them's the facts as best as recorded.
>
>    But, warned, he COULD have avoided it, but
>    didn't. Therefore it was a suicide.

And, in fact, he was (reportedly) checking off the steps listed in
Jewish religious texts to prove he was the one true messiah. Important
because there were several messiah-wannabes/candidates running around
Israel at the time. And dying and being reborn was a re-run of
Egyptian mythology, specifically Osirus. Most religions have their
most important character to be a demigod (mixed parentage).

Anonymous

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012, Liberal Here <liberalhere@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Dec 7, 1:22?am, "Mr.B1ack" <nowh...@nada.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 19:21:59 -0800, Michael Ejercito wrote:
>> >http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/04/15670572-you-kil...
>>
>> scrawled-on-hanukkah-menorah?lite
>>
>> > 'You killed Jesus' scrawled on Hanukkah menorah
>>
>> ? ?The Romans killed him.
>> ? ?At the behest of a bunch of irate rabbis.
>> ? ?Them's the facts as best as recorded.
>> ? ?But, warned, he COULD have avoided it, but
>> ? ?didn't. Therefore it was a suicide.
>
>And, in fact, he was (reportedly) checking off the steps listed in
>Jewish religious texts to prove he was the one true messiah. Important
>because there were several messiah-wannabes/candidates running around
>Israel at the time. And dying and being reborn was a re-run of
>Egyptian mythology, specifically Osirus. Most religions have their
>most important character to be a demigod (mixed parentage).

So true. Even emperor Augustus had believed himself to be the
messianic scapegoat "prince" foretold in the book of Daniel. It
seems that not a decade or century can go by without unwary souls
reinventing the wheel of archetypal mythology, and how quickly
the gullible and naive will fall for some newly repackaged
iteration of it and invariably meet with disappointment in the end.

The new testament is an interesting compilation of written, copied,
redacted, and re-redacted, profound, axiomatic wisdom gratuitously
intermixed with Orwellian doublethink and impossible fish stories
rivaling the best of them. Perhaps the greatest mystery about it
is why do humans love to mix truth with lies and facts with
fiction? Wall Street, lawyers, politicians, corporate executives,
confidence artists, religious figures, teachers, professors, and
really anyone from any walk of life pursuing worldly ambitions to
"get ahead" thrive on it. As ever, it's just a matter of the
price tag for selling their conscience for temporal gain. Some
will settle for a pack of cigarettes, others expect trillions in
tax-free "bailouts," while others will take whatever they can get.

Historians have two popular maxims regarding history, one, that
humans learn nothing from it and repeat the same mistakes as did
their forefathers, and two, "do as I say, not as I do."

Lies and promises of "salvation" sell tickets because the truth
about this world is too harsh for anyone to be interested in it.
Evil has always prevailed in this world and nothing will ever
change that until the whole human race becomes extinct. The good
news is that that could happen much sooner than anyone expects.

--
Bub