how to install/use ruby and tk on winxp?

Sean

1/22/2007 8:03:00 AM

Hello
Im a newby with ruby. Im trying to do some user interface with tk. I
have Ruby 1.8.5-21 and it's working fine.
I also installed activestate tcl 8.5.0.0 beta-6. From there on, I don't
really know how to bind Ruby and tk together to create some GUI.
Any suggestion?

11 Answers

William James

Sean wrote:
> Hello
> Im a newby with ruby. Im trying to do some user interface with tk. I
> have Ruby 1.8.5-21 and it's working fine.
> I also installed activestate tcl 8.5.0.0 beta-6. From there on, I don't
> really know how to bind Ruby and tk together to create some GUI.
> Any suggestion?

You probably should have used the one-click installer.

Harry

On 1/22/07, Sean <sroun.ngo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
> Im a newby with ruby. Im trying to do some user interface with tk. I
> have Ruby 1.8.5-21 and it's working fine.
> I also installed activestate tcl 8.5.0.0 beta-6. From there on, I don't
> really know how to bind Ruby and tk together to create some GUI.
> Any suggestion?

If you use the one click installer tk is included.
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby...

I don't know of any books about ruby tk but try this;
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/e...

Harry

--
http://www.kakueki.com/ruby...
English translation of Ruby list subjects

Sean

hello,

I used the one click installer to install Ruby.
then I try to run a test using this code:
require 'tk'
root = TkRoot.new { title "Ex1" }TkLabel.new(root) {
text 'Hello, World!'
pack { padx 15 ; pady 15; side 'left' }
}
Tk.mainloop

however a popup tells me that:
"This application has failed to start because tk84.dll was not found.
re-installing the application may fix this problem."
So should i reinstall ruby again?
And here is the cmd line error screen.
C:\ruby_prog>ruby gui.rb
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32/tcltklib.so: 126: The specified
module could not be found. -
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32/tcltklib.so (LoadError)
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:7
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require'
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require'
from gui.rb:1

On 1/23/07, Sean <sroun.ngo@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I used the one click installer to install Ruby.
> then I try to run a test using this code:
> require 'tk'
> root = TkRoot.new { title "Ex1" }TkLabel.new(root) {
> text 'Hello, World!'
> pack { padx 15 ; pady 15; side 'left' }
> }
> Tk.mainloop
>
> however a popup tells me that:
> "This application has failed to start because tk84.dll was not found.
> re-installing the application may fix this problem."
> So should i reinstall ruby again?

I installed an older version with no problem.
It looks like others have experienced this, too.

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

Harry

--
http://www.kakueki.com/ruby...

Hidetoshi NAGAI

Sean

Cool it works!!!

Many thx to everybody.

On Jan 22, 7:21 pm, Hidetoshi NAGAI <n...@ai.kyutech.ac.jp> wrote:
> From: "Sean" <sroun....@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: how to install/use ruby andtkon winxp?
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 01:25:06 +0900
>
> > On Jan 22, 5:14 am, Harry <ruby.hardw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On 1/22/07, Sean <sroun....@gmail.com> wrote:> Hello

> Maybe, tcltklib in One-Click-Installer is configured
> without "--enable-tcltk_stubs" option.
> --
> Hidetoshi NAGAI (n...@ai.kyutech.ac.jp)

bhayes84

On Jan 23, 2:34 pm, "Sean" <sroun....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool it works!!!
>
> Many thx to everybody.
>
> On Jan 22, 7:21 pm, Hidetoshi NAGAI <n...@ai.kyutech.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> > From: "Sean" <sroun....@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: how to install/use ruby andtkon winxp?
> > Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 01:25:06 +0900

> > Maybe, tcltklib in One-Click-Installer is configured
> > without "--enable-tcltk_stubs" option.
> > --
> > Hidetoshi NAGAI (n...@ai.kyutech.ac.jp)

A couple of additional details:
I also solved the above problem in Ruby 184-17 under WinXP by
installing
ActiveState's ActiveTcl 8.4, but I had to copy these folders and
files:
- copy the folders 'tcl8.4' and 'tk8.4' from Tcl/lib to ruby/lib
- copy tk84.dll from Tcl/bin to ruby/bin

John Doe

> A couple of additional details:
> I also solved the above problem in Ruby 184-17 under WinXP by
> installing
> ActiveState's ActiveTcl 8.4, but I had to copy these folders and
> files:
> - copy the folders 'tcl8.4' and 'tk8.4' from Tcl/lib to ruby/lib
> - copy tk84.dll from Tcl/bin to ruby/bin

I fixed the same problem by simply uninstalling ActiveTcl 8.5.x and
installing the last of the 8.4.x series. Unlike above, I didn't have to
copy any folders or DLL's (at least not yet).

Thanks for helping me fix the problem, folks! For others with this same
problem, start by ensuring you have ActiveTcl 8.4.x instead of 8.5.x
installed.

Heinrich

"NoSpamAtAll" schreef in bericht news:k9tbou$dh3$1@pcls6.std.com...

In article <50c231cd$0$1852$2e0edba0@news.tweakdsl.nl>,
Heinrich <Heinrich@Ruhrgasnet.de> wrote:

> i will personally accompanie you to the bull; kick
> you inside and light the fire

That's "accompany".

i was testing you. so you are warned

The Peeler

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 19:01:48 +0100, Dumb Heini, the heavily medicated Dutch
resident Nazi troll and laughing stock of sci and scj, wrote:

> "NoSpamAtAll" schreef in bericht news:k9tan0$abs$1@pcls6.std.com...
>
> Dresden, huh? KABOOOOM! :)
>
> next time you will be shot

Still nobody at home to whom you could talk, you poor lonely dumb Nazi pig?
GOOD!!!! LOL

--
Dumb Dutch Nazi Heini commenting on his misery: "si9nce we are talking to
each other my mood has improved"