Serial Port Control with Ruby win32serial-0.5

jtb@hikearizona.com

1/21/2007 4:07:00 AM

I have downloaded win32serial-0.5 and am trying to install in a Windows
XP machine. The readme file list the following steps:
[How to install]
1. unzip win32serial-x.x.zip
2. ruby extconf.rb
3. make (or nmake)
4. make install
>From a WindowsCommand prompt:
Steps 1. and 2. are no problem.
Step 3 gives me an error:
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Please help. I could do what I need to do in Visual Basic, but am
trying to convert to Ruby and REALLY want to go with Ruby.

5 Answers

Harry

On 1/21/07, jtb@hikearizona.com <prairietrees@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have downloaded win32serial-0.5 and am trying to install in a Windows
> XP machine. The readme file list the following steps:
> [How to install]
> 1. unzip win32serial-x.x.zip
> 2. ruby extconf.rb
> 3. make (or nmake)
> 4. make install
> >From a WindowsCommand prompt:
> Steps 1. and 2. are no problem.
> Step 3 gives me an error:
> 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> Please help. I could do what I need to do in Visual Basic, but am
> trying to convert to Ruby and REALLY want to go with Ruby.

I installed Win32serial a few months ago and if I remember correctly,
nmake worked.
Give it a shot.

Harry
--
http://www.kakueki.com/ruby...

jtb@hikearizona.com

I tried that with no luck. Wondering, should I be extracting to a
certain directory? I'm just extracting the files to my c:ruby
directory. The extraction tool actually puts them in
c:\ruby\win32serial. I run the extconf.rb file and get "creating
makefile" so that appears to work. But after that I'm in trouble
doing a make or nmake. Should there be more the the command 'make'
like ruby or a directory designation?

Harry wrote:
> On 1/21/07, jtb@hikearizona.com <prairietrees@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have downloaded win32serial-0.5 and am trying to install in a Windows
> > XP machine. The readme file list the following steps:
> > [How to install]
> > 1. unzip win32serial-x.x.zip
> > 2. ruby extconf.rb
> > 3. make (or nmake)
> > 4. make install
> > >From a WindowsCommand prompt:
> > Steps 1. and 2. are no problem.
> > Step 3 gives me an error:
> > 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> > operable program or batch file.
> >
> > Please help. I could do what I need to do in Visual Basic, but am
> > trying to convert to Ruby and REALLY want to go with Ruby.
> >

> I installed Win32serial a few months ago and if I remember correctly,
> nmake worked.
> Give it a shot.
>
> Harry
> --
> http://www.kakueki.com/ruby...

Felipe Navas

You don't have nmake.
Get nmake on http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-...
And follow the steps again.

There is another library for serial port:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-s...
That's work fine with me.

[]'s

--
(.) CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII ( http://ar...)
/ \ Contra formatos proprietarios

jtb@hikearizona.com

Thanks for the help. I got nmake installed in the c:\ruby\bin
directory. I then went to the directory where the application was
downloaded to: c:\ruby\win32serial and ran nmake. It appeared to work.
I then did the following which I'll paste below. Notice at the end I
get an error and the code appears to stop.

C:\ruby\win32serial>nmake makefile

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

'makefile' is up-to-date

C:\ruby\win32serial>makefile
'makefile' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\ruby\win32serial>nmake install

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

cl -nologo -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32
-Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I. -
MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6 -c -Tcrb_serial_wrapper.c
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
'0x1'
Stop.

I"m using ruby 1.8.5. Is there should I be trying to install to a
particular directory/path??

Felipe Navas wrote:
> You don't have nmake.
> Get nmake on http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-...
> And follow the steps again.
>
> There is another library for serial port:
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-s...
> That's work fine with me.
>
> []'s
>
> On 1/21/07, jtb@hikearizona.com <prairietrees@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I tried that with no luck. Wondering, should I be extracting to a
> > certain directory? I'm just extracting the files to my c:ruby
> > directory. The extraction tool actually puts them in
> > c:\ruby\win32serial. I run the extconf.rb file and get "creating
> > makefile" so that appears to work. But after that I'm in trouble
> > doing a make or nmake. Should there be more the the command 'make'
> > like ruby or a directory designation?
> >

> > Harry wrote:

> > > I installed Win32serial a few months ago and if I remember correctly,
> > > nmake worked.
> > > Give it a shot.
> > >
> > > Harry
> > > --
> > > http://www.kakueki.com/ruby...
> >

> --
> (.) CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII ( http://ar...)
> / \ Contra formatos proprietarios

jtb@hikearizona.com

Would you be able to give me a brief description install procedure for
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-s...
1. What path to install to
2. I see after extracting that the file is an Apache Loadable
Module....what is that? How do I handle this install?

John Bartels