[ANN] ruby-oci8 1.0.0-rc1

KUBO Takehiro

1/20/2007 4:14:00 PM

ruby-oci8 1.0.0-rc1 is released. This is a Oracle module using OCI8 API.
If this works fine on environments described later, it will be 1.0.0.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/...

I have been reported several times that 0.1.16 had not work but 0.1.15 is
OK. But both work fine on my environments even though on the reported
OS and Oracle client version. If this works fine on such environments,
please report me.

The differnce between 0.1.15 and 0.1.16 which may be related to the
problem is the API to initialize the OCI environment. The former uses
OCIInitialize() and OCIEnvInit(). The latter uses OCIEnvCreate().
OCIEnvCreate() is a new API in Oracle 8.1, which is the recommended
API by Oracle. OCIInitialize() and OCIEnvInit() are both available for
backward compatibility.

I prefer to use the recommended API. But I found that if environment
variable ORACLE_HOME ends with '/' on UNIX or '\' on Windows, 0.1.16
raises OCIError but 0.1.15 has no problem. So 1.0.0-rc1 uses the
0.1.15's way to initialize the OCI environment.

14 Answers

William Sommerwerck

> What happens to the stylus at the end of this "backwards"
> record? Does it drop off the record on to the base of the turntable?

Ever heard of a locked groove?

Norman Schwartz

William Sommerwerck wrote:
>> What happens to the stylus at the end of this "backwards"
>> record? Does it drop off the record on to the base of the turntable?
>
> Ever heard of a locked groove?

Ever experience a stylus passing a "locked" groove eventually landing in the
clear region surrounding the label? (I have.)

Bob Lombard

On 3/5/2013 10:44 AM, Norman Schwartz wrote:
> William Sommerwerck wrote:
>>> What happens to the stylus at the end of this "backwards"
>>> record? Does it drop off the record on to the base of the turntable?
>> Ever heard of a locked groove?
> Ever experience a stylus passing a "locked" groove eventually landing in the
> clear region surrounding the label? (I have.)

Theoretically, because of the much larger circle, the stylus is less
likely to escape a locked groove on the outside edge. So what, you
ask? I dunno.

bl

Norman Schwartz

Bob Lombard wrote:
>>> Ever heard of a locked groove?
>> Ever experience a stylus passing a "locked" groove eventually
>> landing in the clear region surrounding the label? (I have.)
>>

> Theoretically, because of the much larger circle, the stylus is less
> likely to escape a locked groove on the outside edge. So what, you
> ask? I dunno.

Perhaps in an attempt to save words, I wasn't too clear. I ask if anyone has
ever played a LP, when after reaching conclusion of its play, has the
stylus ever ended up within the clear region surrounding a record's label,
and even sometimes having the edge of a tone arm's head smack against that
turntable's spindle? I have, and even with the correct anti-skating force
applied (determined by use a Shure test record + a 'scope analysis) and all
the geometries double checked.

> bl

Gerard

Bob Lombard <monty.pelier@gmail.com> typed:
> > > Ever heard of a locked groove?
> > Ever experience a stylus passing a "locked" groove eventually
> > landing in the clear region surrounding the label? (I have.)
> >

> Theoretically, because of the much larger circle, the stylus is less
> likely to escape a locked groove on the outside edge. So what, you
> ask? I dunno.
>
> bl

But in that much larger circle the absolute speed of the stylus is much higher.
Why would the styles be less likely to escape?

Bob Lombard

On 3/5/2013 12:36 PM, Gerard wrote:
> Bob Lombard <monty.pelier@gmail.com> typed:
>>> Ever experience a stylus passing a "locked" groove eventually
>>> landing in the clear region surrounding the label? (I have.)
>>>

>> Theoretically, because of the much larger circle, the stylus is less
>> likely to escape a locked groove on the outside edge. So what, you
>> ask? I dunno.
>>
>> bl
> But in that much larger circle the absolute speed of the stylus is much higher.
> Why would the styles be less likely to escape?

The absolute speed of the stylus? Whatcha saying here, G?

Gerard

Bob Lombard <monty.pelier@gmail.com> typed:
> On 3/5/2013 12:36 PM, Gerard wrote:
> > Bob Lombard <monty.pelier@gmail.com> typed:
> > > >

> > > Theoretically, because of the much larger circle, the stylus is
> > > less likely to escape a locked groove on the outside edge. So
> > > what, you ask? I dunno.
> > >
> > > bl
> > But in that much larger circle the absolute speed of the stylus is
> > much higher. Why would the styles be less likely to escape?
> >

> The absolute speed of the stylus? Whatcha saying here, G?

The speed with which the styles moves through the groove.

Bob Lombard

On 3/5/2013 4:05 PM, Gerard wrote:
> Bob Lombard <monty.pelier@gmail.com> typed:
>> On 3/5/2013 12:36 PM, Gerard wrote:
>>> Bob Lombard <monty.pelier@gmail.com> typed:

>>> But in that much larger circle the absolute speed of the stylus is
>>> much higher. Why would the styles be less likely to escape?
>>>
>> The absolute speed of the stylus? Whatcha saying here, G?
> The speed with which the styles moves through the groove.

The stylus has no speed, G, the groove does. This means that the stylus
has no significant momentum. Which means that effect of the larger
circle IS the significant factor.

Dontaitchicago

On Monday, March 4, 2013 8:06:07 PM UTC-6, William Sommerwerck wrote:
> > What happens to the stylus at the end of this "backwards"
>
> > record? Does it drop off the record on to the base of the turntable?
>

> Ever heard of a locked groove?

As in the locked groove at the inner circle of a record..... Same here.

Don Tait

Gerard

Bob Lombard <monty.pelier@gmail.com> typed:
> On 3/5/2013 4:05 PM, Gerard wrote:
> > Bob Lombard <monty.pelier@gmail.com> typed:

> > > The absolute speed of the stylus? Whatcha saying here, G?
> > The speed with which the styles moves through the groove.
>
> The stylus has no speed, G, the groove does. This means that the
> stylus has no significant momentum. Which means that effect of the
> larger circle IS the significant factor.

Whatever.