[Offtopic] Learning Japanese

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

1/20/2007 12:03:00 AM

Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
include Japanese.

I've compiled a set of URLs to sites of Japanese tutorials.
Pronunciation seems easy, from my Spanish background, and even though
I'm confident I can teach myself Japanese, I also think that learning
it with the help of another human would be nicer, especially if she is
a nice Japanese girl ;-)

The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
it work? What would you recommend?

Thanks.

--
Gerardo Santana

12 Answers

Harry

What would you recommend?

> Thanks.
>
> --
> Gerardo Santana

Maybe you have seen this. But if not, take a look. There is alot of
information here.
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/jap...

Harry

--
http://www.kakueki.com/ruby...

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers

James Gray

On Jan 19, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Greg Pederson wrote:

> I don't know Japanese, only a couple of expressions that I learned
> when I
> was traveling to Japan for work, but I'd maybe recommend trying
> Rosetta
> Stone <http://www.rosettastone.com/en/individuals/languages/ja...

I use the Rosetta Stone, for Japanese, and love it.

James Edward Gray II

Suraj Kurapati

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido wrote:
> what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did it work?
> What would you recommend?

I just watched lots and lots of Japanese anime with English subtitles.
;-)

It is a good approach *in addition* to your usual study of the language
because it helps you learn the culture through immersion... I cannot
afford to visit Japan, so anime is the next best thing.

h4lfl1ng

Some good resources are podcasts. Here are some of the things I use.

http://www.japanesep...
http://www.jap...
http://japanese-...

Most of the sites also have a membership fee if you want to go in deeper. I
haven't applied for any, but I think it would be worth it.

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido wrote:

> Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
> and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
> include Japanese.
>
> I've compiled a set of URLs to sites of Japanese tutorials.
> Pronunciation seems easy, from my Spanish background, and even though
> I'm confident I can teach myself Japanese, I also think that learning
> it with the help of another human would be nicer, especially if she is
> a nice Japanese girl ;-)
>
> The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
> it work? What would you recommend?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Gerardo Santana

Tomasz Wegrzanowski

On 1/20/07, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido <gerardo.santana@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
> and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
> include Japanese.
>
> I've compiled a set of URLs to sites of Japanese tutorials.
> Pronunciation seems easy, from my Spanish background, and even though
> I'm confident I can teach myself Japanese, I also think that learning
> it with the help of another human would be nicer, especially if she is
> a nice Japanese girl ;-)
>
> The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
> it work? What would you recommend?

It's not total beginner level (you should at least know kana), but if you
get kanji skills in a quick and fun way, check jrpg [ http://zabor... ].

And yeah, it's coded in Python :-p

--
Tomasz Wegrzanowski [ http://t-a-w.blo... ]

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

Thank you everybody for your help. Hope to be able to thank you again
some day in Japanese.

--
Gerardo Santana

Zev Blut

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:03:25 +0900, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido
<gerardo.santana@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
> and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
> include Japanese.

< Snip >

> The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
> it work? What would you recommend?

It all depends upon how you learn, although there are a few techniques
I can highly recommend:

*) Learn Hiragana and Katakana, do not spend much time on Romanji.
Doing this will really help you pronunciation, plus it will help
you out a bit if you go to Japan.

*) Take a course at your local university / community college.

*) Go to Japan.

I took Japanese at university as my language requirement. I found the
beginning grammar so much easier and different than the other
languages I studied that I really enjoyed studying it. From that I
decided that I did not want to what I learned to go to waste so I
managed to find a way to work in Japan.

Good luck!
Zev

Damian Terentyev

Good day!

On Jan 20, 2007, at 03:03, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido wrote:

> The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
> it work? What would you recommend?

After learning kana I recommend to learn kanji with "Remembering Kanji"
by JW Heisig or maybe you have a Spanish book that uses a similar
approach (I've done well with Russian book "The Way of a Bird Without
Tail" — the idea is to use imagination for mnemonics of kanji).
I've been learning Japanese by myself for two years but considering my
laziness I ended with poor vocabulary and about 400 kanji (I didn't
have Heisig's book then) though good grammar. Now I somewhat stopped
but I think I'm going to continue my study if I have an opportunity to
find a native Japanese speaker. It's hard to master colloquial speech
without that.

Your sincerely,
Damian/Three-eyed Fish

Daniel DeLorme

Suraj Kurapati wrote:
> Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido wrote:
>> what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did it work?
>> What would you recommend?
>
> I just watched lots and lots of Japanese anime with English subtitles.
> ;-)
>
> It is a good approach *in addition* to your usual study of the language
> because it helps you learn the culture through immersion... I cannot
> afford to visit Japan, so anime is the next best thing.

I did that too but now all my Japanese friends tell me I speak like an
anime character.

Can't win 'em all...

Daniel

Codebreaker

On Apr 19, 11:57 pm, Olrik <olrik...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Le 2010-04-19 18:38, The WhistleBlower a écrit :
>
> <snip inane rant>
>
> > Peer review is NO review at all. It is NOT AS GOOD AS
> > a review by a third and independant party.
>
> How would that work, idiot?
>
> If I have a new theory about the formation of planets, do I ask dentists
> to review it?

No! But you don't ask your ass to review it either. It
will agree with you anyway even for fear of being suppressed
as a dissent and cast out even though your formulation
was based on erreneous datas.