Re: auto assign arguments?

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: auto assign arguments?"
on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:15:33 +0900, "Robert Dober" <robert.dober@gmail.com> writes:
|Right now you can *already* write code like this
|
|class B
| attr_reader :a
| define_method :initialize do |@a| ; end
|end

|I feel that this is worth another shot, maybe Matz could tell us to stop
|working on this if he really does not like it.
|It seems reasonable to assume that the reasons he had to reject the RCR do
|not exist anymore or that he has changed his mind, no?

I haven't changed my mind (yet). And I even disallowed above code in
1.9. Block parameters should only be local variables (and they are
effective only inside the block).

matz.

1 Answer

David Chelimsky

On 1/19/07, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: auto assign arguments?"
> on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:15:33 +0900, "Robert Dober" <robert.dober@gmail.com> writes:
> |Right now you can *already* write code like this
> |
> |class B
> | attr_reader :a
> | define_method :initialize do |@a| ; end
> |end
>
> |I feel that this is worth another shot, maybe Matz could tell us to stop
> |working on this if he really does not like it.
> |It seems reasonable to assume that the reasons he had to reject the RCR do
> |not exist anymore or that he has changed his mind, no?
>
> I haven't changed my mind (yet). And I even disallowed above code in
> 1.9. Block parameters should only be local variables (and they are
> effective only inside the block).

Matz,

Thank you for weighing in on this discussion (and, this being the
first time I've addressed you directly, thanks for this beautiful
language).

Would you mind providing a brief explanation of your objection? There
is no Reason for rejection with the old RCR
(http://oldrcrs.rubypal.com/rejected...) and it would be
helpful to me (and I'm sure others) to understand why you think this
is a bad idea.

Cheers,
David