OFFTOPIC: How to pronounce Ruby?

Peter Szinek

1/19/2007 11:13:00 AM

Is it more similar to 'dummy' or 'dubi(ous)'? (or neither :-)

Cheers,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyra...

8 Answers

Stephen Duncan Jr

It's pronounced roo-bee (so, like dubious).

-Stephen

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Arie Kusuma Atmaja

+
I wonder why Matz didn't give Ruby name with Kanji letters.... and
I've no clue if my friends asked me why Ruby Programmers call
themselves Rubyist or Rubycian.... sigh

--
Arie Kusuma Atmaja A.K.A Arie A.K.A ariekeren | YM! = riyari3
http://ariekusumaatmaja.wor...

dblack

Florian Frank

dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
>> I wonder why Matz didn't give Ruby name with Kanji letters.... and
>> I've no clue if my friends asked me why Ruby Programmers call
>> themselves Rubyist or Rubycian.... sigh
>
> Matz has said that a Ruby practitioner is a Rubyist.

I am still waiting for Matz to record this "I am Yukihiro Matsumoto and
I pronounce Ruby as Luby" sentence and put it up somewhere on the internets.

--
Florian Frank

Arie Kusuma Atmaja

On 1/20/07, Florian Frank <flori@nixe.ping.de> wrote:
> dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> >> I wonder why Matz didn't give Ruby name with Kanji letters.... and
> >> I've no clue if my friends asked me why Ruby Programmers call
> >> themselves Rubyist or Rubycian.... sigh
> >
> > Matz has said that a Ruby practitioner is a Rubyist.

Thanks David.

> I am still waiting for Matz to record this "I am Yukihiro Matsumoto and
> I pronounce Ruby as Luby" sentence and put it up somewhere on the internets.
>
> --
> Florian Frank

According to http://ja.wikipedia.org...
Ruby was written in Romaji then Katakana, it's being read: rubii
or perhaps (sorry i'm not an english native speaker) in English
pronounciation might be: roo bee
AFAIK Japanese is so proud of Japan, that's why I wonder why Matz
didn't name Ruby in Kanji Letters first, and then provided its
translation in Katakana (???) and Romaji (Ruby)

--
Arie Kusuma Atmaja A.K.A Arie A.K.A ariekeren | YM! = riyari3
http://ariekusumaatmaja.wor...

Pete Yandell

On 19/01/2007, at 10:17 PM, Stephen Duncan wrote:

> It's pronounced roo-bee (so, like dubious).

Dubious is only pronounced doobious if you're American. :)

Pete Yandell
http://no...

Peter Szinek

Pete Yandell wrote:

> On 19/01/2007, at 10:17 PM, Stephen Duncan wrote:
>
>> It's pronounced roo-bee (so, like dubious).
>
> Dubious is only pronounced doobious if you're American. :)

Well, I am Hungarian :-) (btw in Hungarian, Ruby is pronounced as in
Japanese). I guess I am mostly speaking American English, but I don't
think so this is the main cause 'dubious' came to my mind when looking
for a suitable example - the reason was that I never heard it pronounced
differently... (I met only a few native British English speakers, though)

Cheers,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyra...

Gavin Kistner

On Jan 19, 4:13 am, Peter Szinek <p...@rubyrailways.com> wrote:
> Is it more similar to 'dummy' or 'dubi(ous)'? (or neither :-)

I believe it is pronounced exactly the way the english word with the
same spelling, describing the precious gem, is pronounced.

You can see a pronunciation, along with a sound clip, here:
http://dictionary.reference.com/b...