rubyforge.org questions

Peter Szinek

1/19/2007 7:46:00 AM

Hello,

1) How do I activate commit diff mails?
2) How can I create a 'normal' svn structure (i.e. trunk, branches, tags
etc). because as I understood, in the svn dir your project_name
directory is the only dir (i.e. no trunk/your_project_name etc). Am I
missing something, and if not is this doable?

Thanks a lot,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyra...

14 Answers

Tom Copeland

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 16:45 +0900, Peter Szinek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 1) How do I activate commit diff mails?

Hi Peter -

Here you go - it's different for CVS and for Svn:

http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/5/460/faq.htm...

> 2) How can I create a 'normal' svn structure (i.e. trunk, branches, tags
> etc). because as I understood, in the svn dir your project_name
> directory is the only dir (i.e. no trunk/your_project_name etc). Am I
> missing something, and if not is this doable?

Hm... that's a good question. I'm not sure. When I create the svn
repos, I just do a "svnadmin create --fs-type=fsfs" and move what that
gives me into the project's svn area.

Yours,

Tom

Jano Svitok

On 1/19/07, Peter Szinek <peter@rubyrailways.com> wrote:
> 2) How can I create a 'normal' svn structure (i.e. trunk, branches, tags
> etc). because as I understood, in the svn dir your project_name
> directory is the only dir (i.e. no trunk/your_project_name etc). Am I
> missing something, and if not is this doable?

If I understand correctly, those are just normal directories, i.e.
convention. You just create the directories in the project dir, and
checkout from there. IOW, you don't do svn co
svn://whatever.com/project but svn://whatever.com/project/trunk

Vincent Fourmond

Jan Svitok wrote:
> On 1/19/07, Peter Szinek <peter@rubyrailways.com> wrote:
>> 2) How can I create a 'normal' svn structure (i.e. trunk, branches, tags
>> etc). because as I understood, in the svn dir your project_name
>> directory is the only dir (i.e. no trunk/your_project_name etc). Am I
>> missing something, and if not is this doable?
>
> If I understand correctly, those are just normal directories, i.e.
> convention. You just create the directories in the project dir, and
> checkout from there. IOW, you don't do svn co
> svn://whatever.com/project but svn://whatever.com/project/trunk

You can even do this without checking out:

svn mkdir svn+ssh://your-name@svn.rubyforge.org/project/trunk

Cheers,

Vince

--
Vincent Fourmond, PhD student
http://vincent.fourmon...

Tom Copeland

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 20:31 +0900, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> Jan Svitok wrote:
> > On 1/19/07, Peter Szinek <peter@rubyrailways.com> wrote:
> >> 2) How can I create a 'normal' svn structure (i.e. trunk, branches, tags
> >> etc). because as I understood, in the svn dir your project_name
> >> directory is the only dir (i.e. no trunk/your_project_name etc). Am I
> >> missing something, and if not is this doable?
> >
> > If I understand correctly, those are just normal directories, i.e.
> > convention. You just create the directories in the project dir, and
> > checkout from there. IOW, you don't do svn co
> > svn://whatever.com/project but svn://whatever.com/project/trunk
>
> You can even do this without checking out:
>
> svn mkdir svn+ssh://your-name@svn.rubyforge.org/project/trunk

Very interesting! I should add this to the RubyForge FAQ...

Thanks,

Tom

Peter Szinek

>> svn mkdir svn+ssh://your-name@svn.rubyforge.org/project/trunk
>
> Very interesting! I should add this to the RubyForge FAQ...

Tom,

However, there is a small (not unsolvable, but ATM existing) problem
here: you everywhere have instructions for anonymous checkout like this:

svn checkout svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project

Now, if you leave it like this, and some people will begin to use the
trunk-tags-branches or whatever model, there could be some confusion -
(i.e. there will be no some_project directory, but trunk and branches
instead). However, this could be resolved by automatically adding a
symlink to trunk/some_project. Just a suggestion...

btw. how to turn on automatic sending of commit diff mails?

Cheers,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyra...

Tom Copeland

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 20:42 +0900, Peter Szinek wrote:

> However, there is a small (not unsolvable, but ATM existing) problem
> here: you everywhere have instructions for anonymous checkout like this:
>
> svn checkout svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project
>
> Now, if you leave it like this, and some people will begin to use the
> trunk-tags-branches or whatever model, there could be some confusion -
> (i.e. there will be no some_project directory, but trunk and branches
> instead). However, this could be resolved by automatically adding a
> symlink to trunk/some_project. Just a suggestion...

Hm... yup... any svn experts want to weigh in here? I mean, is it
standard svn practice to do the trunk/branches/tags directory structure?

> btw. how to turn on automatic sending of commit diff mails?

Here you go:

http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/5/460/faq.htm...

Yours,

Tom

Peter Szinek

> Hm... yup... any svn experts want to weigh in here? I mean, is it
> standard svn practice to do the trunk/branches/tags directory structure?
With a serious project, absolutely. If you want to make some releases
which you are planning to stabilize further (i.e. not just take a
snapshot of the svn, gemify it, release and again use the same branch
(i.e. trunk in this case) for commiting your code), this is a must.
Branches are not that critical, but tags are, IMHO.

>> btw. how to turn on automatic sending of commit diff mails?
> http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/5/460/faq.htm...
Thanks!
Peter

__
http://www.rubyra...

Vincent Fourmond

Tom Copeland wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 20:42 +0900, Peter Szinek wrote:
>
>> However, there is a small (not unsolvable, but ATM existing) problem
>> here: you everywhere have instructions for anonymous checkout like this:
>>
>> svn checkout svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project
>>
>> Now, if you leave it like this, and some people will begin to use the
>> trunk-tags-branches or whatever model, there could be some confusion -
>> (i.e. there will be no some_project directory, but trunk and branches
>> instead). However, this could be resolved by automatically adding a
>> symlink to trunk/some_project. Just a suggestion...

symlink is not possible (at least from what I know) in subversion.
/var/svn/some_project is a *real* directory, and everything under it is
a 'virtual' directory which doesn't appear on the filesystem, but rather
in the subversion databases.

> Hm... yup... any svn experts want to weigh in here? I mean, is it
> standard svn practice to do the trunk/branches/tags directory structure?

I'm not an expert, but so far, I've seen only this. But it is not a
good idea to set it up by default. Some projects want to have only one
'main directory' in their repository, so that it would look like

svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project/trunk
svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project/branches
svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project/tags

But some other want subprojects, and will use the following:

svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project/subproject_1/trunk
svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project/subproject_1/branches
svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project/subproject_1/tags

and so on for other subprojects.

My opinion is to add a FAQ element with the instructions on how to
create a standard some_project/(trunk|tags|branches) structure (with
mkdir, pretty fast), and leave those who prefer another structure to do
it themselves (they should know ;-)...)

Finally, I would say that usually, you check out a svn repository with
the following command:

svn co svn+ssh://deve@rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project/trunk some_project

This way, the trunk directory is mapped as a some_project directory on
your local copy: it is much easier to work on.

Cheers !

Vince

--
Vincent Fourmond, PhD student
http://vincent.fourmon...

Peter Szinek

> Finally, I would say that usually, you check out a svn repository with
> the following command:
>
> svn co svn+ssh://deve@rubyforge.org/var/svn/some_project/trunk some_project
>
> This way, the trunk directory is mapped as a some_project directory on
> your local copy: it is much easier to work on.

I absolutely agree! Basically this is what I wanted to say :-)

It's a pity that the symlink can not be made... but I guess not too much
people want to checkout somebody's svn anyway, and if they do, well,
they will figure out somehow that it is the /svn/trunk/ rather than in
/svn directly...

Thanks for the replies!

Peter

__
http://www.rubyra...

Tom Copeland

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 21:05 +0900, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> > Hm... yup... any svn experts want to weigh in here? I mean, is it
> > standard svn practice to do the trunk/branches/tags directory structure?
>
> I'm not an expert, but so far, I've seen only this. But it is not a
> good idea to set it up by default. Some projects want to have only one
> 'main directory' in their repository, so that it would look like

Vincent, thanks for the note. I've added this as the start of a FAQ
item here:

http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/5/460/faq.html#st...

If anyone has the exact command sequence to create this structure,
please let me know and I'll add that in too.

Thanks,

tom